The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Viv decor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigJME Posted - 08/12/2012 : 18:45:16

Hey everyone im back for inspiration. I was noticing an issue with my corn not leaving one cave in his viv, as it was the highest humidity I thought it was a humidity problem. But ive been talking on here and the 9% humidity is fine for corns. The cave he stays in has a plant covering the entrance so im going to buy a load of plants from dunelm mills to use in the viv. But I need some more inspiration. If any of you have seen my other post on here, the viv I have is very large so it needs a lot of decor. What recommendations do you have? Or found have worked well? Ive got some of the thin white rope people have been braiding to use as a sort of rope swing so im going to do one of those. But as theres no woodlands by me its hard to go find bits of wood etc. So any recommendations would be great, im looking for more of a natural look. Can post a picture of my viv later as i know it will help.

Also I was looking at one of these to replace my snakes water bowl because of the look of it, has anyone else used one?
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/lucky-reptile-tree-planter-large-tp-l.html

The large is approximately 30x27x13cm

Thanks,
Jamie
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigJME Posted - 17/12/2012 : 13:13:58
as the viv was built from scratch i didn't have the worry of drilling into it as i knew i could. the shelves are 2 pieces of 12mm MDF screwed together and then wood glued, so their a little over 24mm thick. they were cut with a jig saw and then finished off to make them smooth and look nice.

this is the part that needs two people. putting the shelf in place i then lined it up straight with a spirit level and drew a line where i wanted it. then figuring out where the 5 screws would need to be (2 on short side, 3 on long) i drilled pilot holes in the viv in the position the screws need to go through. this was done from the inside out. then having the second person hold the self in position lined up with the holes drilled. Use a pilot drill to drill through the current holes and then into the shelves. Then drill a screw through the drilled holes to prevent the MDF splitting and the shelf splitting back into the 2 sections.

hope that helps?
Razee Posted - 15/12/2012 : 09:50:48
I like that, how did you fix your shelves? I'd like some shelves in my vivs, as it gives them so much more floor space. But so far I just got a stool and a couple of branches, I didn't dare to drill into the viv walls. :-(
bigJME Posted - 13/12/2012 : 16:29:53
a couple of plants later (4 to be exact) and it looks a lot less empty

not happy with the rope but i couldn't figure out another way to do it
bigJME Posted - 08/12/2012 : 22:52:32
Their on offer aswell at the moment so £6 each isnt too bad
Moppet Posted - 08/12/2012 : 22:47:06
That plant looks like this one: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/abulilon-hanging-plant-by-exo-terra-28243 most places sell them at that sort of price.

Kitchen roll tubes cost nothing, as do toilet roll tubes. My faun is full of them and Aphrodite loves them! Someone also found some fake plants in a DIY shop, I think it was a silk and plastic 'Ivy' which can look nice
bigJME Posted - 08/12/2012 : 21:03:45
Yes thats why im looking for ideas :-) he is only 4ft long, he can hardly even fit in that cave anymore but he loves it. Plus he wont go in the larger cave. He is a very cocky snake, always coming up to the glass to see whats going on.... through the plants mind you! I have been looking at the plants from dunelm I was recommended but I like the silk one thats currently in, cant find alternatives though. And at £14 a time im not paying full price
lupi lou Posted - 08/12/2012 : 21:01:22
We were at whitby for the weekend at the time and when beach foraging :-) it's a bit sad but it was the highlight of my weekend!
Moppet Posted - 08/12/2012 : 20:59:59
Perhaps he would move around more if there was a little more cover, it does look quite open which can be scary for a small corn snake. Some more fake plants and some more hides, even just empty toilet roll or kitchen roll tubes could make a big difference
bigJME Posted - 08/12/2012 : 20:48:59

Sorry for such a large picture. I cant resize it on my phone, the very right where the plant is, is where he always stays
bigJME Posted - 08/12/2012 : 20:42:53
I have 3 hides already but I will really consider replacing my 2 smaller hides with stone ones. Theres not even anywhere that I could pick up stones near me lol! Wonder if I could buy some.... hmmm
lupi lou Posted - 08/12/2012 : 20:30:10
I gathered some rocks to make a hide:

I've since bought some cork bark which really finished the viv off.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000