The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Securing things inside vivs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 19/10/2012 : 14:33:52
As you can see in the picture I have layed carpet that looks grass like in the viv rather than substrate. It has worked really well and is easy to clean.

Only problem I have found is securing it to the base to prevent George from hiding underneath.

I know that tape is a big no no. But has anyone got ideas of how to stop him? I have tried weighing it down with no success.

Any other ideas would be appreciated?

It needs to be removed so I can wash it
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 23/10/2012 : 12:33:52
I gave up on the wonder web idea and went for glue gun. Has worked really well
Moppet Posted - 21/10/2012 : 16:37:07
Wonder web is that iron on stuff isn't it? Am I right in thinking that once it is cooled down again it isn't sticky, but is binded to the thing it's ironed onto? If so, then I would think it should be okay for snakes.
Welshlamb Posted - 21/10/2012 : 14:51:01
I thought about trying wonder web ? What you guys think?
Welshlamb Posted - 21/10/2012 : 14:07:38
Hot glue gunned over the sticky side. I did try to sew by hand but then decided I was Failing and need a machine. Decided the glue gun would work best.
Moppet Posted - 20/10/2012 : 22:25:50
quote:
Originally posted by jenjen23

Is the velcro sticky-backed? I had some stuck on the back of my thermometer readout to keep it in place, it seemed really well stuck and secure, but it somehow worked loose and basil got stuck to it, luckily I have the tank in my room and he woke me up so I was able to get him free before he damaged himself, but I would steer clear of anything at all sticky!

That's a very good point. I was thinking attaching the velcro to the grass carpet by sewing or similar and to the base of the viv with silicone or hot glue gun. Personally I wouldn't want anything sticky anywhere near my snakes as I have heard so many horror stories
lupi lou Posted - 20/10/2012 : 22:11:25
I use cage carpet and don't bother sticking it down, 8 seems to like it under there so i leave him to it, i just have a spare piece for when it needs cleaning which is weekly!
jenjen23 Posted - 20/10/2012 : 17:29:11
Is the velcro sticky-backed? I had some stuck on the back of my thermometer readout to keep it in place, it seemed really well stuck and secure, but it somehow worked loose and basil got stuck to it, luckily I have the tank in my room and he woke me up so I was able to get him free before he damaged himself, but I would steer clear of anything at all sticky!
scottishbluebird Posted - 20/10/2012 : 14:57:05
Does all velcro have the sticky underneath though?
Welshlamb Posted - 19/10/2012 : 21:24:26
Have now done this. Thanks for the idea
Moppet Posted - 19/10/2012 : 15:45:32
I've not heard of anyone using velcro, it just popped into my head. Most velcro is pretty soft in that you can rub the *****ly side with fingers and it is okay. Could attach strips of it on the floor of the viv and sew/attach bits to the underside of the substrate and voila.
Welshlamb Posted - 19/10/2012 : 15:42:04
Velcro sounds good, would this hurt scales?
Welshlamb Posted - 19/10/2012 : 15:40:38
Used a screw through each end then turn into the whole at the top of the viv where the locking screws are to secure the top to the viv
Moppet Posted - 19/10/2012 : 15:17:58
What are snakes like with velcro? Just putting it out there...

Also, how did you secure your rope? I'm planning Apollo's 'big boy viv' and I'm thinking about how to decorate it.
Georgina Posted - 19/10/2012 : 14:51:14
I use a hot glue gun x
Welshlamb Posted - 19/10/2012 : 14:34:33
Ps this picture is old there is now more hiding places

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000