The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 D.I.Y - Rock Hides

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 02/10/2012 : 20:00:00
I am half way through building / crafting my self made hide for George.

Here are some pictures of mine and my 3 year olds work so far. Only cost about £8.00.

In the pictures its a bit bright but dried a much better colour, will post a few pics when in the viv.

Ha not amazing but was a fun day!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 07/10/2012 : 12:35:12
Plenty of woodlands and forest will take a look later
Isoldael Posted - 07/10/2012 : 12:10:59
To be honest, I have no clue. I'm a total noob when it comes to wood types. I'll see if I can find someone who knows more about it :)
Do you have any nearby forests? If so, it helps to find out when they do maintenance on the paths and such - they'll often cut off low hanging branches or remove old tree stubs and just leave them lying around, so then is the best time to try and find wood :).
Welshlamb Posted - 07/10/2012 : 00:25:11
I decided to get rid of my self made hide as was to concerned about the toxic chemicals that may cause harm to George. My new plan is to find a piece of wood just like in your picture. Just out of interest what type of wood is it?
Isoldael Posted - 06/10/2012 : 18:32:29
It's not really the cash I'm worried about. I'm more worried about the actual bulb guard getting hot enough for the snakes to burn themselves, but not hot enough to scare them off. With the light I know they feel it's hot enough - whenever they get near, they back off as fast as possible. It may be an irrelevant fear, but I know it works the way I have it now.
Lozzy Posted - 06/10/2012 : 17:21:37
Again just an oppinion but for the sake of £13 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=reptile+bulb+guard&_sacat=0&_from=R40) i just think its best to be safe than sorry
Isoldael Posted - 06/10/2012 : 17:09:02
Thanks for your concern - I was wondering about the dangers of the bulb when I first bought the viv about 3-4 years ago. I watched my snakes explore the place and indeed they went close to the light, only to get scared by how hot it was. They haven't been near it since, so I assume it somehow taught them a lesson (even if people seem to think snakes have a tiny brain incapable of learning or anything)
Lozzy Posted - 04/10/2012 : 18:11:48
Wow that is an awesome log!!![:o) I've been keeping my eyes peeled on my daily dog walk for some more viv deco

I would be concerned about the no guard situation tho just my opinion but it only takes a couple of minutes of your snakes wanting to be a little warmer for some reason or the other and you've got yourself a serious injury
Welshlamb Posted - 04/10/2012 : 17:50:03
Ditto about the guard. But agreed that's an impressive log
ean632 Posted - 04/10/2012 : 17:02:55
quote (yes, I know the bulb has no safe-guard - my snakes seem very much aware that it's hot and never get close to it)

Would not risk it anyway, just my opinon.

Your log looks cool.
Isoldael Posted - 03/10/2012 : 20:57:50
-shrugs- personally I have no clue what kind of chemicals are in paint and such, and whether or not they could harm the snake. That's why I tend to use natural materials (cleaned thoroughly) for hides.

Here's a favourite of my snakes. My mom actually found this hollow log in the forest and took it home for me. Removed the bark, cooked it, removed some splinters and sharp edges, and voila:

And the snakes enjoying it together:

(yes, I know the bulb has no safe-guard - my snakes seem very much aware that it's hot and never get close to it)
Welshlamb Posted - 03/10/2012 : 14:37:40
Now you have made me paranoid lol should I even risk putting it in the viv
Isoldael Posted - 03/10/2012 : 12:34:16
Whatever you do, make sure it has no chemicals in it that could harm the snake.
Welshlamb Posted - 03/10/2012 : 12:09:30
I came downstairs this morning to find that the hide had holes in it from varnish lesson learnt. I have now re coated in grout and will repaint. This time without using varnish. Was thinking of using pva glue, do you think this would work?
Welshlamb Posted - 02/10/2012 : 23:00:44
Yeah thanks for the advice. Only thing I made a cowboy error and varnished too soon causing holes to appear in the foam. I have dabbed some brown on, but think I need to get some grey paint as my background in viv is like a slate stone colour not sand.

What you think ? I have pasted loads of grout where the holes have appeared and will take a look in the morning in hope that its still looking ok.
Moppet Posted - 02/10/2012 : 20:25:19
That's a great idea It'll be nice for your 3 year old to see him using something she helped to make too. Just a quick suggestion if I may, perhaps it would look a little more rock-like if you used a sponge to dapple a bit of a darker colour onto some of it for a rock effect once the other stuff is dry.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000