The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 LED strip light from Maplins.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shotputtman Posted - 28/07/2012 : 15:24:41
Hi all

Just thought people may like to know that Maplin Electronics are selling 3 colour changing led strip lights that link together, numerous colours, dimable and remote controlled for £29.99 and an extension kit for a further 3 strips for £19.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/flexible-rgb-strip-lighting-kit-592878

That has saved me going to IKEA next week

Just waiting for new larger heat mat and stat so i can complete new setup and will post pic when done

Have a good weekend

Sean
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubi Posted - 23/09/2012 : 21:33:58
that is very true..they would also become a play thing for my cats and dont want that.. think will try a hot glue gun and hopefully will be ok :)
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/09/2012 : 19:14:23
rubi. That is just for fixing and keeping the flex tidy. I suppose you might be able to do the same thing but would mean having the zip-tie tails sticking out the top of the viv. A bit awkward if you decide to stack something on top at a later date.
rubi Posted - 23/09/2012 : 16:33:40
Auld Baldy..would that work for them eing on the top pannel of viiv as well. I currently have the 3 strips horizontally in the middle of the top pannel in a row coming towards the front. WOuld lik to keep them there?
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/09/2012 : 12:39:18
Botting. Instead of trying to screw the cable ties by the tail:

1. Drill small holes along the edge of the side panel at the joint with the roof panel.For small ties use a 2-3mm drill bit. You might have to waggle the drill side to side just to 'slot' the hole a little.

2. Pass the tail from the outside into the viv, pass around the flex and back out the same hole.

3.Slip the tail into the head of the tie and pull tight. Use 4 of these along the side to keep the flex neat and tight into the corner.

Vursprung durch zip-tie.
rockroyal Posted - 23/09/2012 : 08:58:44
Off shopping today think I will fit them in place by cable tie's and a screw through the tongue of the cable tie
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/09/2012 : 22:16:32
Only thing I can suggest without having these other lights to test is mounting them on a strip of perspex and then screwing that to the roof. Think 'strip light' in the kitchen, only smaller.

BTW, the IKEA lights are only £11 or £12.
Donnie Posted - 22/09/2012 : 22:01:40
I use a hot glue gun for my mat and stat probe but for my lights I also have the Ikea LED's which I use the clips that come with them. You could use the glue gun on your lights as I would not have thought it would melt them but I have not seen your lights so I cannot be 100% certain or use a mechanical solution like Auld says, its up to you.
rubi Posted - 22/09/2012 : 21:41:33
was appoligising more for passing on bad advice lol..your right there seems to be so much ive oinly had a corn for a year and its only because of this forum that everything is right...if went on the advice from reptile shop would not have a heat mat or a thermostate or thermometer lol.
Yeah ive used glue gun to stick down my heat mat so rubi cant get under it and burn her self but that its at..and i know can remove if really need to :)..ive already spent 30 on lighitng so would like to keep them just need to attach in different way now lol :)
I like your idea of engeniered solutions tho :)
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/09/2012 : 21:29:09
Not getting at you rubi. Bad info abounds.

I don't use glue in any of my 7 vivs.

I only recommend the IKEA Ledberg type of LED strip lights. These have small clips secured with screws and can take the weight of a fully grown Rat Snake swinging on the flex. The flex is also tied in with cable ties.

I know that folk use hot glue to secure probes but I prefer 'engineered' solutions that can't move under normal use but can still be removed for cleaning. Call me King of the Zip-tie.
rubi Posted - 22/09/2012 : 21:12:30
My appoligies then i got given a bad piece of info (this seems to happen alot)...will a hot glue gun be ok or will it melt them?
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/09/2012 : 21:06:47
Never put these strips up with sticky backs to secure them. If your snake is longer than the height of the viv or can reach them (or wires) from a branch or top of a hide then it is only a matter of time before he gets wrapped up in a sticky mess.

Snakes and any sort of sticky tapes or backing do not mix.

rubi Posted - 22/09/2012 : 20:49:31
yeah was told would be ok as they on roof of the viv so snake cant get to them...was i told wrong?
Donnie Posted - 22/09/2012 : 20:37:14
quote:
Originally posted by rubi

they come with sticky bacls so just stick on. i also hot glu gunned the connects to the top of viv as the weight was pulling the strips of.

Have you put these in your viv with the sticky backs on them?
rubi Posted - 22/09/2012 : 19:42:10
they come with sticky bacls so just stick on. i also hot glu gunned the connects to the top of viv as the weight was pulling the strips of.
rockroyal Posted - 21/09/2012 : 08:24:10
What's the best way to fit these into the top of the viv
rubi Posted - 28/07/2012 : 19:50:40
thats very helpful may havre to get some of them..saves me ordering from ikea got a maplin near me lol :)..ty

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000