The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Branches/logs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stayc-michelle Posted - 13/06/2012 : 09:32:09
braches/logs(not extremly large ones)/bits of tree... That anyone has took from there local woods or wherever. I once did this and i sanded down the nice piece i had got and then left it soaked in water which i was advised to do to get rid of any little bugs or anything then left it to dry completly then i put it in my new viv which was still awaiting the arrival of my corn snake and when i looked the next day there was loads of little tiny white bugs crawling all over in the viv... So what i am wondering is how do you treat the wood to make sure all the little nasties and anything else is out of it
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stayc-michelle Posted - 13/06/2012 : 19:59:59
Thanks for all this info :) All helpful
QueenVic Posted - 13/06/2012 : 19:23:15
Yeah freezing wont kill anything, neither would soaking it in water.
Either bake it in the oven for an hour or so.

I advise to bang it in the microwave. Just a few seconds in a microwave will kill everything on it.
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/06/2012 : 14:28:27
Freezing for a day won't really do much. The beasties and their eggs will survive a harsh winter season.

Check for any bore holes in the wood when you take off the bark and discard it if you find any, particularly in old wood.

Have a look at the sticky thread on toxic vegetation. Some woods are dangerous to reptiles and snakes.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402
cobweb251 Posted - 13/06/2012 : 13:34:12
and after you have done that wack them in the freezer for a day for good measure then varnish (non toxic)
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/06/2012 : 12:54:41
Have a look here as well:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20455

You need to give the debarked logs a good soak in a 10% bleach solution to kill any creepy-crawlies, mould spores and anything else which might cause problems. Rinse a couple of times in clean water and let it dry naturally in a warm cupboard.
lupi lou Posted - 13/06/2012 : 10:14:34
have a look at this: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7285
Sleeper341 Posted - 13/06/2012 : 10:08:02
I've never done it, but heard that you should also bake it in a hot oven (200deg) for 20mins/30mins which will kill off anything. Soaking in water will get some of the bugs off, but those that are deep in the wood, and even some on the surface, will survive a 'wash'.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000