The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How to fix branches and attach foliage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/03/2012 : 19:31:10
Following on from the excellent how to guide by black echo on preparing wood this is how I make my branches more realistic and how I fix them into the viv.
This is really simple to do my little lad who is 7 helps me when I do these

Tools and materials required
Pliers
Cable ties (zip ties )
Small hooks and eyes (optional not used when just lying branches down)

First of all work out how you want your branch to sit in the viv by offering up inside the viv.
If your suspending it from the roof or side of your viv you will need to add a eye in the end of the branch.
To add your hook you may find tapping a small nail in first then removing it makes it easier to screw the hook.

Next add your foliage to your branch
I'm using fake ivy here twist the stem round the branch then loop a cable tie around the branch and stem

Next pull the cable tie tight with pliers and then cut off the excess cable tie left with your pliers.
Repeat this until firmly fixed to the branch

I'm fixing this branch to the roof of my viv to do this you must attach a hook to the viv when fixing to glass viv use a sucker type hook fixed in place with a plob of silicone.
Once fixed in place just bend hook over to stop the hook from unhooking

These are my vivs that I've done using this method.

Just a note if your wondering why branches look slightly different it's because I've stained and varnished them I've found it helps to varnish them as it makes them easy to clean when snakey poops on them.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a2c7 Posted - 12/04/2012 : 17:05:46
We used a hook in the 'roof' and then some twine from a garden centre around a huge piece of cork wood, looks really nice and natural with one end suspended. (due to the size and the shape of the wood the cable ties + hooks idea wasn't going to work out.)
n/a Posted - 24/03/2012 : 18:51:17
quote:
Originally posted by madmartyn

what about the sharp edges left from cutting the cable ties? any probs

No problems if your worried take the edges off with some sandpaper as a precaution.
madmartyn Posted - 24/03/2012 : 18:04:11
what about the sharp edges left from cutting the cable ties? any probs
lupi lou Posted - 22/03/2012 : 21:36:06
looks awsome, is there away off doing it so that you don't have to screw any hooks to the viv? don't really want to put any holes in it if i can avoid it? or maybe am just being daft!
Dancross0 Posted - 22/03/2012 : 20:52:44
I can confirm that this works rather well....

I only use the eyes, and then twist tied the vines to them. The ivy is looped round the vine to give it a bit more shape...
Sta~ple Posted - 22/03/2012 : 19:50:37
I like the hooking branches

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000