The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Light bulb sheilds?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyCherish Posted - 16/01/2012 : 16:26:17
hey everyone, i have tried pet stores and general searches online but i cant seem to find a mesh light cover anywhere! the viv obviously already has a heat mat but i think it could do with a light just to brighten the place up in the day! There is already a hook in the ceiling of the viv to hang a light from - dont ask got it from some lady? Could any of you wonderful people help me out and tell me where i could find a mesh one? i live in runcorn by the way, near liverpool. any help would be greatxx
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 00:18:42
There have been cases of snakes getting stuck on various sticky stuff including stick on leds.

Doesn't matter how flush they lay to the viv top, snakes are clever creatures and it takes an edge or a corner for them to rub on.

I would't be impressed if they got stuck on them though, simply because it will be a problem trying to get it off snakey with minimal damage
Spreebok Posted - 28/01/2012 : 13:33:22
quote:
so it is perfectly safe, as is push on sticky leds

Just gotta hope curious snakes dont start rubbing against led strips and get stuck now ;)

this was quick, convenient, safe and easy set up,

Oh good, glad to know they are toughened plastic. There have been cases of snakes squeezing glass bulbs and hurting themsevles.#
And I'd be very impressed if they did get stuck onto the leds, they're round, button shaped ones which lay flush to the viv top when stuck on haha
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 27/01/2012 : 23:55:01
Doesnt matter if they did climb up wrap around and squeeze,

simply because it's sealed, screws or screwed in and silve base covers them, you have to twist it off to access screws, and also the actually bulb has a tought plastic flat circular piece over the 10 leds inside the bulb

EDIT: and when I say negligible heat, I mean nothing that would register ona digital thermometre unless it was to 3 decimals places so it would read something like 0.006 or 0.008
so it is perfectly safe, as is push on sticky leds

Just gotta hope curious snakes dont start rubbing against led strips and get stuck now ;)

this was quick, convenient, safe and easy set up,
Spreebok Posted - 27/01/2012 : 21:36:44
quote:
EDIT: by the way these are GU10 led bulbs and give off negligible heat

Just gotta hope curious snakies don't climb up, wrap around and squeeze now ;)

Personally, I just like the stick on push leds you can get from poundland and the like. I only use them when cleaning or rearranging, so they're perfect for me :)
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 27/01/2012 : 18:08:02
I used the following

2 of theseBulb Holders

and

Bulb for daylight

Bulb for nightime viewing

then 2 plugs with 3 amps fuse in and electrical cable with earth in,

screwed into top of viv and hey presto
pic below of day and night (the bulbs aren't that bright as in picture, just I had shutter on camera open to long on it)

EDIT: by the way these are GU10 led bulbs and give off negligible heat

Redshift Spec Posted - 27/01/2012 : 17:39:55
I've just ordered one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190622869839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 I like the idea of being able to set it to different colours to match mood etc..... There is also a strobe mode to let Frank have a rave once and a while ;). Once they arrive I'll let you know how they do. (obviously I wouldn't put it on strobe, might stress him out a bit)
Auld Baldy Posted - 18/01/2012 : 20:02:26
Ha-ha! The IKEA lights were someone elses idea but I've found uses for coffee jar lids, bits of tubing, milk bottles filled with chuckies and various containers. I just keep my eyes open and think 'what could I do with that for my snakes'.
My latest is 3ft foam covered tie wraps and co**** string, could be made into Auld Baldies Climbing Vines. lol

* That's thick and rough string.
LucyCherish Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:54:17
Thats what im trying to do just get a small log and a small 'plant' to go at the back, but those lights are an amazing idea that i would never of thought of! you might regret saying 'just ask' coz i will more than likely be firing questions left right an centre lol x
Auld Baldy Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:50:41
I got these particular suckers in a local 'pound store' but any hardware type of shop should stock them. They are usualy sold for hanging kitchen towels. But I'm adaptable when it comes to things snakey. I made a great hammock out of a mesh cooking sheet plus 4 of these suckers. Mirkey spends days at a time on it.
madmartyn Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:39:33
hi, where did you get your suckers from?
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 22:51:27
Hi Dan. They sure work fine. A combination of suction, self jamming if pushed by the snake plus the hook gripping onto the outer glass door.

It works as good as a rubber wedge, if not better.

If snakey can get past that then he deserves a run of freedom for sheer determination.
Dancross0 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 22:14:48
Those sucker hooks are a good idea!
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 19:52:05
You are welcome, Lucy. Don't suffer just ask.

The bottom viv originally had cables for the heat mat and a dangly lamp with cables going everywhere, nailed in with cable staples. I'm not exactly houseproud but like to keep the clutter in my vivs down to hides and essentials.
LucyCherish Posted - 16/01/2012 : 19:18:33
Lovely!! Think one of those will suit ours perfectly! Thank you so much, my brain has been aching for like 2days haha! xx
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:03:11
Here is my colony stack to give you an idea of what the lighting from the Ledbergs will give you.

The larger 3 foot VivExotic has the 3 strips fitted, the other two have a pair of strips. (They just plug in end to end.) The top one is a bit bright with the white material but I may do a bit of beech laminate wall-papering.

The other pic shows how I fixed the flex with cable zip ties. The tails are held by the top panel. Loosen the top panel fixings to allow the tails to go through and pass the small plug via the pre-cut notch. A small plug of rigid foam seals up a potential escape hole.

Also shown is a simple lock using a house-hold sucker hook. Works fine for me.

Hope you like the collonaded mezzanine floor extension. I'll be making one for each of the others and changing the milk bottles for carved logs which I'm still working on.

The estate:

The wiring:

Security sucker:

Hope this helps.
LucyCherish Posted - 16/01/2012 : 17:48:22
Thank you! to be honest was only going to use the hook as it was already in the viv but i think it would look a bit random and not the right kind of light, an i didnt like the idea of it hanging in the middle lol! Thanks again will look out for one! xx
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 16:55:24
I'd suggest the LED light strip from IKEA (£11). It gives a good light, stays cool and doesn't need a guard. It is also less obtrusive than a hook/ bulb/ guard set up.
I can recommend them as I have 3 vivs set up with them. They come in 3 sections so can be easily adapted for different sized vivs.

IKEA 'Ledberg' Link:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90192071/

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000