The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How To: Temp and Stat Probe Cable Tidy.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/11/2011 : 16:19:29
Or: How I poop-proofed my probes.

It was actually the need to prevent Mirkey digging up the probes and getting tangled in the cables that I came up with this idea using 10mm plastic tube and a coffee jar lid. Drill a 'keyhole' slot that is just big enough to take the sensor & probe wires and cut a slot from the edge of the coffee jar lid. This allows the probe cables to fit snugly and avoid the need to gunk it up with sealant. The long length of the therm wires are first doubled up with just enough cable to feed back to the thermometer and lid. The temp probe just passes through the tube and a bit of string used as a pull through for the looped cable. The cool temp probe fits nicely into the cool end of the tube.

The stat probe & therm-sensor are held together with a zip cable tie.

So far it has worked pretty well as an anti-Mirkey-howker but should do a reasonable job as a poop-proofer. At least it should be easier to clean.

Dual temp probe cables in tube tidy:

Probe and Sensor fitted and secured into coffee jar lid:
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Simmy_82 Posted - 01/11/2011 : 20:53:00
Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks may give this a try when I get my wooden viv!
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/11/2011 : 16:49:50
No silicone needed so far. A hide on top has worked well enough so far.

BTW, just to clarify. The pictures show the lid upside down to show how the probes are fitted. The lid is placed open face to the mat.
Simmy_82 Posted - 01/11/2011 : 16:38:48
Ah okies just a thought. Thanks for the guide. I may use it. You gonna silicone the lid down or just leave as is?
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/11/2011 : 16:29:41
The thermostat probe is intended to measure the heat mat temperature, not the ambient air temp.

Three vivs fitted with this probe rig and temps are fine.
Simmy_82 Posted - 01/11/2011 : 16:22:55
Looks well. Tho wont the probes get false readings. If turned upside down wont the air temp under the bottle top increase more than the air temp in the viv?

i.e the cap insulates it a little giving a slightly different temp?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000