The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How To: Vivarium Divider

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/09/2011 : 03:40:19
Here’s a walk-through on a method to make a temporary divider for your vivarium. Maybe you want to split it to house 2 young hatchlings or just reduce the overall size for a single until it grows a bit. This will allow you to make a divider that is a snug fit and requires the minimum of adhesive to make it simple to remove with no damage to the vivarium when it is no longer required.
Images are included in this PDF for reference, saves you downloading all the images.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16008824/DividerWalkthrough/DividerDIY.pdf.zip

••• SAFETY FIRST SECOND & LAST!! •••

Use a NEW & SHARP Stanley blade. A blunt blade will tend to skid, giving an uneven cut to the board and a visit to your local hospital A&E department.
DO NOT try and cut straight through the board in one cut using brute force. That is asking for trouble. Instead, use light pressure and make a light surface cut first. This will create a guide making it easier for subsequent cuts.
DO use a metal straight edge as a cutting guide. The back edge of a standard saw is a reasonable option. The saw handle usually has a ‘square’ built in.
The ruler is only for checking sizes and extending the pencil lines. The Stanley knife will shave into a wooden or plastic ruler, making it useless and gives you a wiggly edge to the board.
DO keep your hand behind the cutting line as much as possible.

This should be easily completed in about an hour but take your time and don’t rush. Be as accurate as possible when marking out both the card and board. Trim to just oversize, check then ‘shave’ to a snug fit.
If you don’t have a proper work bench, use a scrap bit of hardboard as a cutting board to protect the surface of the coffee table.

TOOLS & MATERIAL:

• Stanley knife, straight edge, ruler and pencil ... and a bit of patience. Don't rush and keep checking the fit.
• A panel of artist’s 5mm foam board, about 1” over-size to the height and depth of the vivarium. This is easy to cut and is rigid enough for a divider.
(I’ve used a scrap piece of hardboard here, just for photographing the stages.)
• A strip of stiff card. This will be marked off, trimmed to required size and used as a template to mark out the trim sizes to the foam board.
• A couple of strips of masking tape for holding the card in place while marking the board.

HOW TO:

1. Remove the glass doors from the vivarium and put away somewhere safe.

2. Use a strip of stiff card about 5 inches wide and the same height as the inner height of the viv.

3. Position the card inside the front face of the vivarium and mark in pencil against the inner front section of the viv.
ie. steps for top fillet & runner, *** , bottom runner & fillet.
Important: *** Leave a bit of excess where the glass would be for the time being.

4. Cut out the bits from the card mentioned above and check against the vivarium inner side panel for a snug fit.
Replace one glass door in the inner channel of the runner and move it up against the card. Make sure the card is still tight against the front inner face.
Next, draw a pencil line on the card using the INSIDE of the glass as a guide.

5. This will give you a profile template to transfer the cut lines to the board.
Use a couple of strips of masking tape to fix the card to the board and mark out the cut lines.
If you want to place the heat mat in the middle of the viv, trim a 1 or 2mm slice out the middle section of the divider base edge, just deep enough to slide the mat through. Remember to leave enough at front and rear to maintain the divider height.

6. Place the divider and door in position check the fit. Finally 'shave' that ••• excess to fit and finish with a bit of sand-paper until the door can just scrape past it.
Finally, check final position and dab-a-dod of sealant at the rear corners. That should be sufficient to keep it in place as long as you have managed to keep the trimming tight.
Remember to position the divider so that it doesn’t interfere with the viv-lock if fitted.

Hope this is useful, I've shown the stages for a flush fitting runner & fillet. If you have a glass fillet you can eaily adapt the card profile to suit.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/09/2011 : 17:30:23
In that case I'd definitely go with Plan B.

I almost passed the Yakuza entrance test. It involved a boning knife, a turnip and the top knuckle of my wee finger. Since then I have had a healthy respect for anything sharper than a Lego brick.
Hissyfit Posted - 15/09/2011 : 16:56:50
Lol close, but someone who nearly cut her finger off cutting a pineapple last night I do have a plan, OH won't be able to just leave me to it and will take over
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:26:43
Eek!! You're that mad axe woman of the south I read about, aren't you?
Hissyfit Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:13:29
Ha ha, do you know me by any chance
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/09/2011 : 13:11:29
You are welcome Hissy but please be careful with that knife.
Hissyfit Posted - 15/09/2011 : 10:00:58
Thank you so much, that's fantastic! Even I should be able to manage with such clear instructions

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000