The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Idiots guide to fitting a divider needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 13/09/2011 : 17:02:32
How would you go about easily fitting a divider in a vivexotic? I thought a piece of wood drilled through the top and bottom, but Husband doesn't want to put any holes in the viv, and said it would be impossible to measure to get the right size.He's suggested using the cardboard box the viv came in..I'm looking for a really easy solution that I can do myself with very little DIY skills and don't see cardboard working myselfAny pointers would be great

ps I did ask if he could put a divider in before buying the 3ft viv, could have easily bought the 2ft if I'd known he would wriggle out of it.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hissyfit Posted - 14/09/2011 : 10:54:59
Thanks, that would be great :-)
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/09/2011 : 19:44:08
It seems complicated to read but it is actually not that bad, honest.

OK, I'll get some pictures taken later on tonight and post it in the DIY.
Hissyfit Posted - 13/09/2011 : 19:22:15
I think I'll need some pictures as I'm lost already
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/09/2011 : 19:15:23
1. Remove the glass doors.
2. Use a strip of stiff card about 4 or 5 inches wide and the same height as the inner height of the viv.
3. First mark in pencil against the inner front section of the viv, ie. steps for top fillet, top runner, *** , bottom runner and finally bottom fillet.
Important: *** Leave a bit of excess where the glass would be for the time being.
4. Cut out the bits mentioned above but do it in stages, don't just hack out in one go, and check against the viv inner side panel for a snug fit.
5. This will give you a profile template to use against whatever you are using as the divider. I suggest 5mm artist foam-board as it is easy to cut and trim.
6. Trim the board, again in stages until you have a snug fit, measure the depth you need and allow a couple of mm excess. Make allowances if you are using a bit of runner to mount the divider and trim to fit. Personally I would just use a dab of sealant at the corners without the runner.
7. Place the divider against one of the side runners with that *** untrimmed excess bit you have for going against the glass.
8. Replace one door in the inner runner and jam it up against the divider. Draw a pencil line down the divider using the inner face glass as a guide.
9. Trim down to just outside that pencil line. Replace and check that the door can just scrape past the divider. 'Shave' it to fit.
10. Place divider in required position and dab-a-dod of sealant at the rear corners. That should be sufficient to keep it in place as long as you have managed to keep the trimming tight.

If you want to place the heat mat in the middle of the viv, just trim a 1 or 2mm slice out the middle section of the divider base edge, just deep enough to slide the mat through. Remember to leave enough at front and rear for supports.

All you need is a Stanley knife, straight edge, ruler and pencil ... and a bit of patience. Don't rush and keep checking the fit.

If you find this too confusing, I'll post on the DIY section with some picture to make it clearer.
Hissyfit Posted - 13/09/2011 : 17:57:07
I'm dividing to make it smaller, he's only 29" at the moment so don't want to scare him by moving him into a huge big viv too soon :-)The door runners sound like a good idea, so will give that a try. Thanks both :-)
ozziesmum Posted - 13/09/2011 : 17:16:24
would the glass door runners work, you would only need to use hot melt to stick them in place and if you did the back wall first the top and bottom ones are easy. No holes drilled and easy to remove just 1 piece of acrylic cut to size.
a33272 Posted - 13/09/2011 : 17:13:03
to get the height just measure the side panel of the viv between the top an bottom panels. the depth is tricky one due to glass an runners. are u dividing to just make smaller or to make double viv for 2 youngsters

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000