The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 silicone.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tarotpodge Posted - 06/09/2011 : 18:47:35
Just built my new viv to partition. First need to silicone the joins. I know alot of you use aquarium sealent and that is safe. Went in to b and q. They have a silicone that does NOT say mould resistant/anti fungal....It has no mention of this on the packaging. The same brand but a different type had anti mould etc on the packaging. There is no ingredients list on the package. As it does not state the anti mould component, would this be ok to use or should i stick to aquarium sealant....
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tarotpodge Posted - 08/09/2011 : 22:51:00
Thanks for your help guys n gals.
eekamouse Posted - 08/09/2011 : 17:44:50
yes it's very good. makes a nice job of aquariums....very reliable!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 08/09/2011 : 16:24:08
Cheers eekamouse, really surprised this stuff is not available in more DIY stores. Sealed my vivs with the clear and you can hardly see it.
eekamouse Posted - 08/09/2011 : 12:38:46
thats the one mike!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 07/09/2011 : 20:08:13
I use a product called CT1 sealant there is nothing better, on eBay for around £8.00.
You tube (CT1 sealant )
eekamouse Posted - 07/09/2011 : 14:51:59
quote:
yes people will have used just plain silicone sealants in the past as quoted above ^^ but now there is a proven-safe alternative that's readily available i just can't see why anyone would take the risk

true enough...however all silicone sealants, aquarium/bathroom/kitchen are water/mould resistant and inert when cured properly. i should have put the emphasis of my post on the application and curing as intended
gingerpony Posted - 07/09/2011 : 12:01:35
quote:
Originally posted by eekamouse

...... when i were a lad and started making my own aquariums (35 years ago....gulp) 'aquarium' sealent did not exist...

neither did the array of anti-mould, anti-fungus all-singing all-dancing silicone sealants that are around today lol they're definitely to be avoided

yes people will have used just plain silicone sealants in the past as quoted above ^^ but now there is a proven-safe alternative that's readily available i just can't see why anyone would take the risk
eekamouse Posted - 07/09/2011 : 10:51:40
...... when i were a lad and started making my own aquariums (35 years ago....gulp) 'aquarium' sealent did not exist. i always used, and still use, bathroom/kitchen grade silicone applied with a mastik gun. with any silicone sealent, it important to let it cure completely. i don't go near it for at least a couple of days after applying. it takes a bit of practice too. the smoother and flatter the application, the easier to clean & therefore more hygenic. too little, you will get a bad, leaky, bond and too much and you can have a right old mess that will look shabby! i believe one to avoid is acrylic sealent. it is cheaper but there is no way it can be as strong or waterproof.
hope this is helpful
tarotpodge Posted - 06/09/2011 : 22:41:07
ok guys, thanks for that. Thought that may be your respnse but just wanted to check as was under £4 for a huge tube.
gingerpony Posted - 06/09/2011 : 21:07:49
^^ same here
Spreebok Posted - 06/09/2011 : 18:51:49
I'd stick to aquarium myself, just to be doubly sure :>

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000