The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 My RUB plan...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bethm01 Posted - 02/08/2011 : 16:49:46
After looking about my house, I've finally found a nearly cost free way to set up a RUB...

For the actual RUB, I have these small drawers, each with their own section to slide into, and you can remove a whole drawer with the cover and all. I'll drill a few small holes (well, 35-50) in it for air etc. It has a handle, which I will tape over carefully.
A single drawer is H: 15.5 x W: 30 x D: 30cm. Big enough for a little while, eh?

For hides, I am going to use two of my little brothers old baby bowls which are kinda squarish, and I'm going to cut away a bit for the snake to get in, and file it down.

For entertainment, I'll just put two toilet roll tubes.

Substrate will be kitchen roll, and will cost me less than two pounds from Asda or Morrisons for three rolls.

All that is left is the heat mat, thermostat and thermometer. They are more costly, but will be able to be used for when the snake moves into their Viv too!
The cost of them is:

Heat Mat: http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-heat-mat-7w-6in-x11in.html (6x11", 7w heat mat = 9.07 pounds)

Thermostat: http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-mat-stat-thermostat.html (Costs: 19.13 pounds)

Thermometer(s), you may want one for each end of the RUB: http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/komodo-habitat-thermometer.html (2.78 pounds each)

I hope this can inspire some others, too!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bethm01 Posted - 02/08/2011 : 22:39:08
Thanks, I saw one in my local supermarket for a fiver, so that's all good :)
Spreebok Posted - 02/08/2011 : 22:35:26
quote:
Originally posted by Bethm01
And they are plastic and no they are not wooden drawers and opaque... slight problem. Can I put in a LED strip and turn it on during day, turn it off at night?

You'd be best off buying a RUB (really useful box). The 4 ltr ones are about £5, and are great for keeping hatchies in. You could swap a drawer out with one of them, and theres no problem with the lighting as they are clear/frosted :)
Aegis Posted - 02/08/2011 : 22:17:35
Defo keep tape away by any means! Karuza has a deformity down her side from it, prevents her from eating larger mice. She got stuck to a but of tape when she was wee. they had to wait til she shed before it came off. And defo go with digi thermometers! I have both dial and digital.
Bethm01 Posted - 02/08/2011 : 20:29:44
Snakes, especially babies are very good at escaping, so you need to make sure all gaps and possible escape routes are sealed and secured. Tape isn't great in snake enclosures as they can get stuck on it which can damage their scales.

-

I have a plan... * is the handle. (*) So the sticky parts are not near the snake at all.

And they are plastic and no they are not wooden drawers and opaque... slight problem. Can I put in a LED strip and turn it on during day, turn it off at night?

Okay, I'll get a digital thermometer, thanks for the advice people!
Spreebok Posted - 02/08/2011 : 19:29:03
By drawers, do you mean wooden drawers, or like, plastic opaque stuff? Because if no light can get in, you'll probably mess up your snakes bodyclock.
gmac Posted - 02/08/2011 : 18:47:54
Ikea rocks

Dials thermometers are useless though, they measure the ambient temps in the faun / viv / Rub digital thermometers are the only way to go.
tordyjo Posted - 02/08/2011 : 18:32:31
The dial thermometers are ok to start with but you get a much more accurate reading with a digital thermometer.

Snakes, especially babies are very good at escaping, so you need to make sure all gaps and possible escape routes are sealed and secured. Tape isn't great in snake enclosures as they can get stuck on it which can damage their scales.

The size of home depends upon the size of snake so the general rule is the long side plus the short side = the length of the snake. You can also use empty cardboard boxes etc for hides and bottle tops for a water bowl. I would also buy some reptile safe disinfectant for cleaning.
Bethm01 Posted - 02/08/2011 : 16:52:42
The drawers cost me nothing, as I already owned them, and I only know they are from IKEA... xD

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000