The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 lighting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 01/08/2011 : 21:56:32
hello there,
getting jakes new viv delivered some time this week :). we are wanting to be able to view the snakey antics so just wondered what the best type of lighting would be and where to get it from, dont really want the light to be visable (to us) so no light bulb types. seen an exo terra t8 electronic light system, any one got one?
can any one help??
thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eekamouse Posted - 04/09/2011 : 10:25:13
here is the link to where i got mine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200642078477?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
frogreapertattoo Posted - 04/09/2011 : 04:52:24
yeh can i also ask were u got the 3 setting with remote please
marc_sg Posted - 02/09/2011 : 11:37:06
quote:
Originally posted by eekamouse

hi, i have just installed LED flexible strip lights in our new snakes viv and they are great. i opted for a tricolor system which is dimable and can change from white light to moonlight and redlight via ir remote control. it is extremly hygenic as it is waterproof and therefore washable. it is self adhesive but i recommend a smear of silicone sealant to give a sealed surface with the ceiling or walls of the vivarium. it gives off virtually no heat and runs off a 9volt power supply so very low running cost. the whole 1 meter system including power supply, remote and sensor cost under £20. i am going to install the same in my aquarium next time i do a big clean because i am so pleased with it!
hope this helps, nick.

please let me know where you got this from as i am after a night light and with 3 setting this sounds ideal
Mamma Posted - 29/08/2011 : 11:57:58
I use LED push on/off lights from poundland. They have a sticky adhesive on the back of them so U just put them on the underside of the roof of their vivs. You do tend to find the batteries drain quite fast but I bought rechargable ones for them xx
eekamouse Posted - 29/08/2011 : 11:05:22
here is the LED setup in snakeys viv before clear sealant is applied. i have run it discreetly around the inside front and sides 1" from tho top so totally out of sight when the viv is viewed from the front. the second pic shows the control box used for dimming and colour change via remote control.it is small and can be fitted neatly at the back of the viv. the wire at the top is the remote sensor.
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/p8280493.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/p8280494.jpg/][/URL]

MightyMouse Posted - 27/08/2011 : 22:13:52
The Ikea strips come with plug attached an all ready to go.
eekamouse Posted - 26/08/2011 : 20:13:49
hi, i have just installed LED flexible strip lights in our new snakes viv and they are great. i opted for a tricolor system which is dimable and can change from white light to moonlight and redlight via ir remote control. it is extremly hygenic as it is waterproof and therefore washable. it is self adhesive but i recommend a smear of silicone sealant to give a sealed surface with the ceiling or walls of the vivarium. it gives off virtually no heat and runs off a 9volt power supply so very low running cost. the whole 1 meter system including power supply, remote and sensor cost under £20. i am going to install the same in my aquarium next time i do a big clean because i am so pleased with it!
hope this helps, nick.
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/08/2011 : 22:10:20
Saw the pics and it looks great. What I meant was that the strip unit is complete, just plug it in. Some other LED strip lights I've seen advertised require a transformer/ power unit as an additional cost item.
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 13/08/2011 : 21:38:44
posted a few pics in pics section :)
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 13/08/2011 : 15:28:04
there only 1.8 watts wouldnt need a transformer
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/08/2011 : 14:25:37
Does the Ikea LED strip include the transformer or is that an additional item?
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 13/08/2011 : 12:25:08
cool, thanks..... might have to have a little trip to ikea!! there not to bright tho are they?
Simmy_82 Posted - 10/08/2011 : 08:42:44
I got exactly the same as MightyMouse. Only use on of the strips at the minute (in my faun) but when i upgrade to a Viv i can add the two additional strips to it. Its future proof
MightyMouse Posted - 10/08/2011 : 08:36:49
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90192071

I got one of these last week gonna be fitting it some time this week. Can make it as long or short as ya want. And comes with plug attached which is why i bought it instead of one off ebay. And comes with tiny screws for attachment so no sticky stuff to worry about.
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 09/08/2011 : 20:26:16
haha doesnt sound very simple, too much for me haha, i just want sumit i can chuck in n go! :p
u wil have to get some pics up when you get it sorted!!
weasle1uk Posted - 05/08/2011 : 21:53:56
I did Gizmo's Viv with some LED lights off of ebay. A 12 volt supply connected to a DPDT switch (on-off-on) to 12volt dimmers then wired a set of red and a set of white.

It will soon switch its self over on a timer once I get my circuit made lol
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 01/08/2011 : 22:27:21
yeah they look quite good, they wouldnt get hot either!
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/08/2011 : 22:14:36
Not seen those, or used them.
But a few people use LED strip lights with a lot of success as they are small and barely noticable in the viv.
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=150828179

Above linky stolen from another active thread about strip lights

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000