The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Platforms, high hides..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:26:26
I really want to make both my vivariums much fuller and more interesting.
I've been wanting to put a platform high up for a long time, but can't decide the best way to do it.
I've seen hammocks too which are brilliant, and also platforms attatched by string to the roof.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to secure the wood/hammock/string to the roof/walls of the viv without having to drill through.

I realise i'm probably going to have to use screws to make it secure enough for my fatty of a corn, but if any one has any alternatives...?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
garrie Posted - 09/08/2011 : 10:26:41
Loving the table sta~ple
Sta~ple Posted - 09/08/2011 : 09:58:18
I have like a snake table :P like sexybear :P I bought mine though >.< very simiular to animalcrayz's. It's great as I can freely move it ut the way when I clean! Plus the snakes love it. I unno if I could trust those hammocks with a nice adult sized corn myself even if screwed and nailed in.

I am tempted to make a big one though now that stretches for most of my 4ft viv and have it high enough so I can fit water bowl and hides under it...
chrisc Posted - 08/08/2011 : 19:23:54
after doing quite a few google search's and reading through some other forums i have used yacht varnish to cover the platforms i made and are now being left to dry for a few days till the smell/fumes have completly gone
tarotpodge Posted - 08/08/2011 : 11:14:10
the only reason i used sealant is im a cleaning freak so wanted to make sure it was easier to clean ie no gaps for substrate or poo to fall in to. Personall preferance or i would be obsessivly cleaning them.
Auld Baldy Posted - 08/08/2011 : 00:56:10
Tarotpodge, I like the idea of the log-raft but not all that sealant gunk holding it together. I would have used 10mm dowel rods instead. Drill straight through the logs, fit oversized dowels then trim and sand flush.

For general sticking of bits to flat surfaces such as your support battens, the likes of "151 Hard as Nails" is pretty reliable. It is solvent free & strong when set. Bits of my kitchen are held together with it and hasn't fallen apart.

Alan.
tarotpodge Posted - 07/08/2011 : 22:27:56
This is what i have done in my viv. Phoenix loves it

chrisc Posted - 07/08/2011 : 15:52:09
i have made a couple of hide/platforms similar to the ones in the link above but am unsure what varnish to use. ive got some ronsill outdoor wood varnish, is this ok to use?
animalcrazy Posted - 01/06/2011 : 21:19:04
I have got one of these minus the smaller second platform, it was £7 off ebay called a rabbit shelter, one of my pet shops does them as well Horatio loves it.
Spreebok Posted - 01/06/2011 : 17:53:42
I ended up drilling thin holes and using those small, screw in hooks to hang my snake hammock up! Very sturdy, and if they need the come out, the holes aren't too noticeable! :)
QueenVic Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:17:09
Thats handy, cheers.
didn't think of putting legs on it.. you may have just cracked it for me

I used to have quite a big plant pot with a peice of wood over the top that fitted into the corner of the viv, but the plant pot was far too big for a base and took up a lot of room.

I'll post pics when i do it!

More ideas would be welcome :D
sexychef Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:12:44
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3685
QueenVic Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:35:02
hadn't thought of that.
Thought about that glue you can use instead of nails, but im so worried that it might fall off! Don't want a flat corn...
ptmbradley Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:29:33
unless you can make something work with aquarium sealant, I don't know mate.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000