The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 lamp and mat combo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
uma and bill Posted - 08/04/2011 : 11:52:53
Hi everyone, I have a question that i would really like you guys advice on. In umas new tank (pics will be in the photo section in next couple of days) I have a heat mat hooked upto a habistat. there is 40w basking lamp above the mat, by my reckoning when the heat gets above the specified temp on the dial (80F) due to the lamp being there then the mat and stat will respond by lowering its temp and thus maintain about 80F (checked regularly thermometer says 85F), am i right in thinking this or do i need to change wattage or apply a dimmer stat, also is there any need to change any setings due to it being summer
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/04/2011 : 23:54:02
LED lighting for the vivs is superb.
I use it in my stack and boa viv, lets out enough light to brighten the viv up without being to bright. If that makes sense.

Downside is the bulb cost from shops, B&Q have them for about 4-6 quid each. Plus side is they should theoretically last for years.
uma and bill Posted - 08/04/2011 : 18:39:28
thanks for help everyone, going to look into LEDs, ive seen a few in pics section and they look very cool and safe, :-)
gingerpony Posted - 08/04/2011 : 18:35:09
easiest option is to fit LEDs that won't interfere with the heating, won't need a stat and won't need a guard

or have an energy-saving bulb in a lamp outside the viv, an energy-saving bulb inside the viv would be fine too but should still be guarded which is extra expense to consider
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/04/2011 : 18:28:36
I use white lights in my vivs, purely for visibility/lighting the viv up.
I have bought some LED bulbs as even some energy savers can kick out a fair bit of heat. Under the LED ones I have no difference in temp, the actual fitting of them once hit 30c. To me that is ideal as it makes it less awkward to regulate temps.
uma and bill Posted - 08/04/2011 : 16:40:31
we both work during the day so we cant really leave the curtains open because of security, so i will look into getting a dimmer or maybe putting in an energy saving bulb, is there anywhere i can get them in red or green, someone told us that its bad to have white lights, is this true, thanks for help :-)
gingerpony Posted - 08/04/2011 : 13:59:58
providing you're not keeping your corn in a darkened room they'll get enough daylight hours simply in a room with the curtains opened
using a bulb can serve to complicate things as it will affect the temps (though not too much being a 40W bulb) and really it should be statted with a dimmer stat and MUST be guarded to prevent burns/injury to your snake.

easiest thing is to get rid of it
gmac Posted - 08/04/2011 : 13:21:37
quote:
Originally posted by uma and bill

were not actually using anything to regulate the lamp at the moment, baring in mind that its only 40 watt but we are using a habistat for the mat, we were told that the idea with the basking lamp is that they need twelve hours of simulated sunlight and 12 hours of night, temperature is pretty regular and tank never goes above 85F :-)

That being the case, no matter what the wattage best to turn the lamp off, its not really needed as the mat will suffice.

Unless it is pitch black where you keep your corn the normal lighting of the room will suffice for the lighting period. Or change over to an energy saver, they give off very little heat.
uma and bill Posted - 08/04/2011 : 13:08:35
were not actually using anything to regulate the lamp at the moment, baring in mind that its only 40 watt but we are using a habistat for the mat, we were told that the idea with the basking lamp is that they need twelve hours of simulated sunlight and 12 hours of night, temperature is pretty regular and tank never goes above 85F :-)
gmac Posted - 08/04/2011 : 12:13:41
What are you using to regulate the heat from the lamp, Too much to fiddle with so personally i would go with one or the other there is no need for both, just extra costs for electricity.

Is a very tricky one to setup as you have to set them both together and if you are planning on turning off the lamp at night even more fiddly as you have to set the mat to run through the day with the lamp on, where there will be adequate heat from both and set the mat for night time where the mat will have to heat on its own.

If you are just concerned about the lighting the viv you could always just use LED lighting througyh the day or energy saving bulbs.
Invalid User Posted - 08/04/2011 : 12:06:10
Is there any reason why you are using a lamp and a mat?

Can't offer any advice as I have never heard of both being used before. I don't think there is any need. Just use one or the other.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000