The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Ikea bookcases

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kat Posted - 24/03/2011 : 09:40:06
I'm doing musical bedrooms here for the kids, and was looking at the Expedit bookcase http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80071357 from Ikea that's currently in my son's room. The cubes are about 12" and I was thinking that they would make individual vivs for smaller snakes, or take out the dividers and you can make 2', 3' or 4' enclosures in all sorts of combos. The bookcases come in 4' x 2', 4' x 4' or 5' x 5' (roughly). They'd just need backs, glass fronts and hinges / slides, so no more than your average viv conversion. You could have a combo bookshelf and viv stack, with drawers for junk hidden in between. The vertical dividers are removable individually, the horizontal ones are shelves, although if you wanted a 3' tall 1' wide enclosure for an arboreal I suppose you could just turn the whole thing on its side

What do you all think? It might go a long way to persuading littlest herper that she needs to swap bedrooms from her nice large one with sloping ceilings in the attic to the smaller one with the cool bookcase downstairs. Biggest son is now in a rock band and has ridiculous numbers of guitars so needs the space!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kat Posted - 04/04/2011 : 10:01:12
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

is white backed plywood, a d glues and nailed in place

Thanks gmac Trashed today 'cause of hiking all weekend but hope to start later in the week. More snakeys
Wendy Posted - 03/04/2011 : 22:27:35
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

this is from the expedit range :D

I really like that, I have found a nice spot in the house to put it, now the hard part, getting hubby to agree with it
gmac Posted - 03/04/2011 : 21:46:32
is white backed plywood, a d glues and nailed in place
Kat Posted - 03/04/2011 : 21:40:18
Is that painted plywood on the back? I've pretty much worked out the rest of it but wasn't sure what to use as a backing board. Did you just put one sheet up the back and glue / nail? Starting the conversion this week hopefully. There's a picture framers up the town who'll cut glass / plexi to fit for me.
Spreebok Posted - 02/04/2011 : 22:54:44
Can you use a clear acrylic for the front? I have access to a friend with a lazer cutter that does plastics you see lol! :)
gmac Posted - 02/04/2011 : 22:41:47
just got timber to hold the runners and the glass runners from B and Q got the plexiglass cut to size, used adhesives for it all and added the plywood to the back and job done.
Spreebok Posted - 02/04/2011 : 22:36:39
That is awesome Gmac! You must tell me how you made the front up! :)
gmac Posted - 02/04/2011 : 21:15:47
this is from the expedit range :D

Spreebok Posted - 02/04/2011 : 21:09:17
Oooh, I LIKE this!
Guys, if I were to get this one:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80135298
and took the middle dividers out, would the resulting 2 spaces be enough for two cornsnakes (and if so, till what size)

Also, how would I go about doing the fronts up to have doors? If there any tutorials you can point me to for vivarium conversions, I'd really appreciate it! :)
Kat Posted - 27/03/2011 : 23:54:51
That's what I was thinking. It'll do to get them into the building and persuade DH that they're cute, then I'll look at putting something bigger in. I have a spare room downstairs that I'm planning for a herp room long term, just haven't quite told him that yet
a33272 Posted - 27/03/2011 : 23:33:48
them dimensions will only be any good for young beardies too u want atleast 4x2x2 for adults
Kat Posted - 27/03/2011 : 23:16:13
Have now done the design. Using a 4 x 4 bookcase. Top tier (12x12x48) is going to be a beardie, second tier 2x(12x12x24) is going to be two corns, one below that (12x12x24) is going to be a leo case . Other geckos (crested and electric blue if I can get some) will go on the top in tall glass vivs. I'm might buy another smaller bookcase to canabilise for matching backs etc. Obviously that won't last forever for corns 'cause that only gives me until they're 3' long but should last a day or two I have a 5x5 in the kitchen for when the one upstairs runs out of space ... Even has a power supply at the back already, just in case.

I'm planning to run LED lighting to the corns and leos, strip light for the beardie and I'm busy researching everything else. Might as well buy all the stuff together and save on postage. Mine you I'm bound to forget one thing!

This is FUN
Mole Posted - 27/03/2011 : 21:34:11
Oh i know the ones your talking about Kat, sounds a great job, never be able to go to ikea with just home improvement in mind now tho, my fav place (sad i know), think i feel another project on the boil.
Kat Posted - 24/03/2011 : 22:19:59
Neither am I really but I have a step dad who is a carpenter / joiner
HannahB Posted - 24/03/2011 : 20:23:41
i love walking round ikea and pointing out things that could be converted into snake vivs!
my only problem is that neither me nor Luke are particularly good at DIY!
Invalid User Posted - 24/03/2011 : 10:12:36
If your sticking to corns then they arn't very wet but if you move to royals for example they can flood the vivs easily with one wee lol My baby royal can do huge wee's already!

I don't use vivs yet but I think people seal them with aquarium sealant to stop any liquids seeping in and warping/rotting the unit.

Kat Posted - 24/03/2011 : 10:05:30
Thanks Ginger The bookcase looks good enough quality and it's not as if snakes are particularly 'wet' animals. Probably wouldn't use it for a rodent conversion but the material seems pretty similar to what my viv is made out of. There's a sneaky plan here you see - I can afford more snakes but I'm a bit stuck for more snakes *and* more vivs, so this would solve many problems at once.
gingerpony Posted - 24/03/2011 : 09:46:38
i generally find Ikea stuff quite good for conversions but with a lot of their stuff the dimensions just aren't big enough for what i'm after [:/]

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000