The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Sirius and Bernard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:09:41
Hi All! I used to come here many moons ago, and have returned to share beauteous pics of my babies with you :) Sirius is my Miami (now around 3" and two years old) and Bernard is a Snow (approximately same age and size). I wondered if she was a Strawberry as she is very pink.. but she might still be too young to tell..?

Yes.. before you all predate upon me, they are housed together. I did this temporarily for a week, but when I split them up they refused to feed so I put them back in together and they started eating again :) Whilst I don't like to anthropomorphize too much, I do think they 'enjoy' each others company as they are pretty inseparable.

Sirius went missing a few weeks ago but miraculously returned! So hurray! And celebrations! Enjoy the photos :)

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2010 : 04:23:00
quote:
Originally posted by Quarklette

:) Yay for all the love!

You'll be pleased to hear I've put them in their own vivs now. All good so far :) (always handy to have lots of spare herp equipment!)

I am so pleased to hear that you have separated them....and relieved. I am also glad that you realise that all we care about is you and your snakes . They will take time to get used to their new set-ups and to being by themselves....so give them time.

Well done. I look forward to seeing more pics of them both !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 05/05/2010 : 15:24:46
:) Yay for all the love!

You'll be pleased to hear I've put them in their own vivs now. All good so far :) (always handy to have lots of spare herp equipment!)
Mouse Posted - 04/05/2010 : 09:30:19
beautiful snakes!!
Sizzlesmum Posted - 02/05/2010 : 21:42:50
You have two gorgeous snakes

quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

Gorgeous pics and lovely snakes.
quote:
I've had Bernard for about 6 months.. (any Blackadder fans?)

That was nursey if I remember correctly

Yes it was
Sammysnake Posted - 01/05/2010 : 16:54:57
Gorgeous pics and lovely snakes.
quote:
I've had Bernard for about 6 months.. (any Blackadder fans?)

That was nursey if I remember correctly
Sta~ple Posted - 01/05/2010 : 16:53:46
Lovely snakes :) I like the Miami.

To echo again what everyone said and from personal experience, I used to house both of my adults together. They never showed aggression to each other but the fat guy used to always sit on the poor little girl no matter how many hides I put in the viv. Although both of the never had any problems i have now found it far easier to keep them seperatly and I can put the tanks ontop of each other rather than have one huge massive tank big enough for two snakes. The sitting on is normally a sign of dominance and although the one being sad on may seem to not like it, I'm sure they prefer not to be.

If you don't know the gender definitely don't do it. There are many corn snakes that get bred and many more once they get older that the owners want to re-home. You might not also know they are male and female until many years later when one lays surprise eggs, my corns were together 6 years before I got the surprise and with the amount of corns that seem to become egg bound, well prepared eggs are more safer to the females health.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 16:26:43
It really is the best for them if they are seperated and have there own vivs. If they were a bit older it wouldn't be too bad as you could just put extra hides in and make sure there was plenty enough room for both, but with them still being below breeding age and still relatively smallit is best they be seperated.
n/a Posted - 01/05/2010 : 12:46:30
:) Hi again. I appreciate the concern, and I remember how controversial is was to house snakes together last time I was here.. I won't do anything to intentionally cause them harm. I'll try separating them again and see how it goes (they've never behaved like that after moving before so it didn't occur to me that they may be stressed).

They've never given me any cause to think that a) they were aggravated by their living arrangement or b) that they are making baby snakes. Still, I know that you guys are just concerned for their welfare so thanks :) I shall try again!

Sadly I can't remember my old account name.. but my snake was Sirius back then too! I've had Bernard for about 6 months.. (any Blackadder fans?) so I only lasted a year before cracking. My O/H STILL won't let me have a hoggie though :(

Incidentally.. yes I DO have a thermostat (lol.. I remember that one too, hahaha!)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 10:15:06
lovely snakes but i would certainly echo what kellog has posted, especially the part about there age and sexes, if you arn't absolutely sure of there sexes then it is in theirs and your best interests to seperate them prefferably as soon as possible.
Kellog Posted - 01/05/2010 : 04:11:48
They are both beautiful snakes....I especially love Sirius, gorgeous colouring.

I am afraid that I must agree with SexyBear, I know you have tried separating them and it didnt seem to work, but how long did you keep them apart for? They will have needed time to settle in to their new environment and get over the stress of the move. And you are anthropomorphizing, corns do not 'enjoy' each others company....in the wild they are solitary and only come together for mating, so they should not be forced to live together in captivity.

Do you know what sex they are? You have called your snow Bernard, but refer to it as 'she'. If 'she' is female and you are not sure of Sirius' sex then there is the danger that 'he' is male and they will mate - if Bernard is about the same size and age as Sirius then 'she' is too young to become gravid and there are serious health issues.

Please checkout this link and then you can make up your own mind as to whether you want to keep them together - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

I dont mean to get at you in any way, everything I have said is purely out of concern for your snakes, but I also accept that at the end of the day the decision is yours....I just want you to make it with your eyes open to the dangers.

You do have 2 gorgeous snakes and have got some wonderful pics of them....I especially like the 2nd one where they are both looking at you!

xxx

crazy JJ Posted - 01/05/2010 : 01:39:46
nice snakes you have there :D
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 22:59:42
Great looking Corns you have
mozacchio Posted - 30/04/2010 : 22:41:20
L-O-V-E them!
Amazing pics..!
Especially the two first ones!
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:41:33
quote:
Originally posted by Quarklette

Yes.. before you all predate upon me, they are housed together. I did this temporarily for a week, but when I split them up they refused to feed so I put them back in together and they started eating again :) Whilst I don't like to anthropomorphize too much, I do think they 'enjoy' each others company as they are pretty inseparable.

They probably stopped eating due to the change of circumstances and/or housing.

Snakes do not enjoy each others company.

Pretty snakes though.
HannahB Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:33:44
gorgeous pics - the second one is great!
Figs Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:22:08
beautiful!

i love that second picture
Lilpunk Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:16:25
Aw they're beautiful :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000