The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Finally 1 week is up, Max is out

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Takagi Posted - 09/04/2010 : 10:25:53
Well not the best start with Max, sadly it was my fault as he was really skittish which made me skittish which did not help him :( so the handling was quick :(

but he feed nice and good, gobbled it up

Would not eat on the kitchen roll, so had to remove it as he just hid under it...

Got the head and away I go!!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 09/04/2010 : 14:23:22
aw hes very cute, he'll settle down eventually
mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:48:28
Max is so cute..!
Beautiful!
Don't worry about the handling part.
Be confident and careful, and you'll see that he will get more and more relaxed!
That's what happened with Spaghettino..!
Takagi Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:11:18
hello,

Well my plan was to see how we clicked (or if we did) then put him back for a few hours to settle then feed but it went the way it did and he went to his rub and just watched me seemed to calm down as he noticed the pinky

but I shall take on board what you guys have said :) plus leave him for a few days to settle back down and finish his meal then prolly on monday/tuesday try again for a few min I think.

I dont have anything with my scent on in his tank but I do have a set of gloves on the top as its quiet small and not much room left but may get some old stuff and cut down to place inside if that may help him and me
herriotfan Posted - 09/04/2010 : 11:39:53
Glad he ate for you. It's quite something watching them feed for the first time isn't it hard to think something that size will go in that tiny little mouth!!!
I'm sure the handling will get better as you both become more used to it. Have you got something with your scent on in with Max? That would help him get used to you. My Hissin-Sid has still got an old sock under his log and that's normally where he settles down to rest No accounting for taste, lol !!!!!!
Kellog Posted - 09/04/2010 : 11:12:45
Dont worry about it being a bad start Paul, of course you were nervous handling Max for the first time and he was probably terrified! With handling it really is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time. It is just about taking your time and being patient and the quality of handling rather than the quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will he trust you.

One question though, did you handle him before you fed him? It is best not to do any handling when you are going to feed, just transfer him into his RUB and back afterwards....otherwise there is the chance that Max will be stressed when he then comes to eat.

I am so glad he ate for you - must have been great for you to see, and such a relief! It is amazing to see the way they can take their 'dinner' and then work their way around to the nose so that it can go down the right way - although that doesnt always happen....and it does look funny seeing a snake, having eaten most of its 'dinner', with a mouse's face peeking out of it's mouth!

xxx
Takagi Posted - 09/04/2010 : 11:03:55
Thanks,

and I hope so, he is currently underground at the mo heh after eating he went straight into borrow mode and vanished

so will leave him for the 48 hours (and hope all goes well with his food, as if he stays under the substraight I wont see if he regurg's)

then we shall try again, I have my gloves as he was a wee bit nippy so shall takes things nice and slow but also any advise is allways welcome heh :)
Figs Posted - 09/04/2010 : 10:59:50
so small
i love snows - cute!! :D

dont worry about the handling; as you get more confident so will he (...or maybe thats the other way round?)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000