The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 New baby snake just had her first feed!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 16:17:51
I've had her a week and have left her alone all week, only opened the faun to change her water & clean out poo. She's been on two pinkies a week according to the breeder; I was quite surprised when she agreed to eat today as she didn't seem especially happy with being out of the faun, was a bit nervy! But she ate one pinky, refused the other so I put her back in the faun. I'm sure she'll settle down soon.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 07/04/2010 : 09:56:46
She really is a gorgeous snake Scarlett....and well done for feeding her outside the viv (not only is it better for the snake but it is so much easier to get good pics!!). It may be an idea to feed her in a smaller box, like a shoe box or a RUB, so that she doesnt feel too intimidated by the large open space.

The great thing about this forum is that you are able to get a number of different opinions and then get a good idea as to what is the right thing to do....and considering how new she is to you and how new you are to snake keeping then I would definitely back up the idea of leaving her on the 2 pinkies for a while until you can be sure she is feeding well and can have some idea of what sort of feeder she is....then you can make the decision to move her up to a fuzzy when you feel she is ready.

xxx

Sta~ple Posted - 06/04/2010 : 12:16:10
She's pretty ^^ that pinky is tiny compared to her though. I can't believe you got a snap of her eating since you haven't had her that long, your lucky.
elament Posted - 06/04/2010 : 10:31:07
Afraid I also agree with Kehhlyr on this one. Its much better to keep the snake on the size of meal its on for a while so you can build up knowledge of how the animal handles its feeds before making the change that way when you do make the change it will be much easier to spot anything amiss and act accordingly. The last thing you want is to put the snake on a larger meal and worse case scenario it regurges then you have nothing to fall back on for reference. It wont do the snake any harm to stay on a slightly smaller meal for a bit while you build up a bit of feeding history and get used to her.

Cheers

Steve
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/04/2010 : 03:17:26
It *should* be able to yes, but it is always better (IMO) to have a few feeds with the pinks first to get an idea of how the snake will be after feeding, so that IF anything is amiss when going up a meal size then it's easier to spot. Especially if advice is requested and we start asking questions, then knowing if something was different then it's easier to explain and to get answers.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 02:14:29
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Yer that sounds about right, leave her 5 days then try her with 2 pinkies, then move her up to a fuzzy which is between 1 - 1.5 x the girth of your snake.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.
Without getting an accurate gauge on how lumpy the snake is after 2 pinks it's actually not easy to give a definite Yay or Nay to move to fuzzys.
The pinky looks like it's going to be about the same thickness as the snakes body, so jumping to a fuzz to quickly could cause issues.
It's much easier to leave on pinks for a little while until you have seen how your snake is after 2 pinks to make sure that when you do go to fuzzies you can see if it is handling the meal ok, especially if you're new to snakes because you wouldn't be able to tell if anything was amiss as easily if you have only seen a snake feed once or twice.

That is a fair point but with the shop owner saying that he is about ready to make the move i figured after one maybe 2 more feeds on double pinks (depending on the size of the pinks) he should be able to handle 1 small fuzzy ok.
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/04/2010 : 00:30:47
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Yer that sounds about right, leave her 5 days then try her with 2 pinkies, then move her up to a fuzzy which is between 1 - 1.5 x the girth of your snake.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.
Without getting an accurate gauge on how lumpy the snake is after 2 pinks it's actually not easy to give a definite Yay or Nay to move to fuzzys.
The pinky looks like it's going to be about the same thickness as the snakes body, so jumping to a fuzz to quickly could cause issues.
It's much easier to leave on pinks for a little while until you have seen how your snake is after 2 pinks to make sure that when you do go to fuzzies you can see if it is handling the meal ok, especially if you're new to snakes because you wouldn't be able to tell if anything was amiss as easily if you have only seen a snake feed once or twice.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 00:24:47
No probs mate, thats what were all here for, to share experience and advice and have a laugh while were at it
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:56:27
Thanks guys! And cheers Danny, that's what I'll do :)
mozacchio Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:16:28
She is beautiful..!
Nice colours!
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 19:49:09
She is beautiful :)
herriotfan Posted - 05/04/2010 : 19:08:23
She's gorgeous. I love the little heart marking on her head. I find it really fasinating to watch them feed....
Stumpy Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:58:33
I have been feeding Max on pinkies and small fuzzys when my Baby mice die and this week I found a fuzzy from the shop and he ate it no problem.
Next feed will be 2 pinkies, this way he should adjust to the larger meal easier.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:42:21
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:29:18
Hi Danny!

It's the same size pinky she's been on for a few months, according to the place I got her from - she's been eating 2 of them per week, though this week she only had one. The guy said that for the first two weeks I should feed her on 2 pinkies like she's been used to, then I should start giving her small fuzzies. Does that sound right to you?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/04/2010 : 16:50:40
Did that pinky leave much of a bump? Seems a bit small for the snake and since pinkies come in differing sizes and some shops keep snakes on a maintenance diet to keep down costs it may well be that she should be on something a little bigger.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000