The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 The new girl in my life :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Umpa Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:04:39
Hi guys,

I have had my corn snake for about a week now. I feed her every 5 days on large fuzzies and rat pups. Today was the second I have fed her and she strike fed and constricted for the first time ever. Until now she had never constricted before according to her old owner.

She’s about 13 month old and is a 'Ghost Motley' very tame and placid and not at all wriggly, so thought would be an ideal first snake.

Here are a few pics.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Umpa Posted - 28/01/2010 : 06:54:22
Thanks for the info,

The Viv is a 3 foot job made out of chipboard, it’s a brand new one, I have a 10w fluorescent light tube, and a 10 watt heat mat controlled via a habistat pulse proportional thermostat.

I have a different water bowel in now, that was a tempory solution whilst my other was being cleaned (second hand).
Kellog Posted - 28/01/2010 : 03:48:07
Spot is a goregous snake, with some very striking markings.

I echo what has already been mentioned....it really would be best to change it to aspen if you can, or shredded newspaper if that is better for you. Have a look on the care sheet to find out about substrates (look halfway down) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

As far as feeding is concerned it really is best to not feed him rat pups if possible, for the reasons given. The easiest way to work out what Spot should be feeding on is by her weight - this is a VERY rough guide to give you some idea as to what to expect.

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)

2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)

Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g)

Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)

Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)

Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)

Large: 4 to 6 weeks ((19 to 25g) – feed every 7 to x days (snake = 170g+)

X large: 6 months + old (350 +) – feed every 10 to x days (Snake = 170+)

The guide for feeding is 1.5 times the width of the snake, thats a maximum size and you can work out if your snake needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once they have eated their 'dinner'.

What size viv is she in and how are you heating it?

The other thing I noticed in your pic was the waterbowl in Spot's viv, it is very high and can therefore be knocked over easily and it is also fairly deeply filled. You only want it filled to the depth of the snake. I use the ceramic cat/dog bowls as they come in all sizes, are not too deep and are heavy enough not to worry about them being knocked over and soaking the substrate.

Hope this helps. Why dont you introduce yourself in the welcome section so that we can all say 'hi' officially!

xxx

zandefloss Posted - 27/01/2010 : 20:42:26
I would move to aspen, not everyone has access to wonderful forums full of very experienced owners/experts like here - woodshavings ARE bad for snakes, and although she might seem fine now it could cause her problems later on or at any time. If you're worried that aspen is more expensive you can also use shredded paper, toilet roll, kitchen roll, newspaper etc. Your snake will thank you for it (by being healthy :)

I would try to change to small mice ASAP, you dont want her to get hooked on yummy fatty rats and end up being a chubby snake! It's not good for their health either to eat too much fat - just like us!

She's gorgeous, I think she looks like a cube morph, I think that's what it's called, which is well awesome, so pretty and perfect markings!

zan x
Umpa Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:44:45
That explains the enthusiasm for the rat pup then – lol
As for the bedding all I can say is she had over 6 months on it with the other owner so I’m guessing its OK. I would have thought that if it was nasty she would have shown signs by now ?
Like I say though I don’t really know enough to make my own mind up yet.
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:13:52
Spot is a lovely name.

Not sure about the shavings, but usually shavings are no good because they are made of pine or cedar. Alot of substrates that say they are ok for snakes actually arent.

If you are considering moving up a size just wait until the pet shop has whichever size of mouse you need. HannahB is right, rats are to fatty for corns. They do taste better though I think, (not that I've ever tried one!!) which can lead to problems switching a corn fed on rats back to mice.
Umpa Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:09:21
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, she's called 'Spot'.

The subsrate is calld 'Wilco pet bedding - wood shavings' this is what her last owner used and he advised me to use. It has a tick under reptiles on the packet, but does not say what wood it is. Does anyone know anything about this stuff ?

Last time I fed her I gave her 2x large fuzzies but they did not make a bulge in her belly and a book I read said if there is no bulge then try a bigger food type - so thought I would try a rat pup as thats all the petshop had other than big mice. She seems to like the rat pup better than the fuzzy. I guess they taste better ?

SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:44:16
Lovely corn!!

What substrate are you using? It looks like pine or cedar shavings? If so, get rid of them asap, as they are toxic to snakes.
HannahB Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:37:25
shes really nice - whats her name?

you might want to feed her just the fuzzies rather than rat pups..rats are really high in fat and arent really ideal for corns..as a one off treat maybe but not on a regular basis
every 5 days is ok although you could alternate between every 5 and every 6 if you are worried about her getting too chunky

n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:34:09
Shes is Beautiful!
xXx
Umpa Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:30:17
Yeah, as she's my first it Made me jump a bit. Last time she just took the mouse out of the tweezers and swallowed it. This time she struck out like a bolt of lighting and wrapped arround it. I have to admit I found it a little exciting lol.

So every 5 days is ok ? That's what she was on before I got her. As you might have gathered I don't know a lot, but I have read a few care sheets and am picking stuff up.

Regards

ian
lmfastcars Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:16:30
cool snake. He looks like he loves his mouse in the second pic :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000