The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Introducing my first corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kdlang Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:30:25
Hope i'v done this correctly and that the picture goes on ok.

This is our adopted corn. He came with the name Sammy, but my son has renamed him Alice (after a girl at school. He's a teenager so we don't ask questions lol). I keep calling him Sid. It's a good job the can't respond to their names as he would be one confused snakey by now.

Looking forward to getting him a new viv and kitting it out once he has settled in and all is ok.

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 03/01/2010 : 11:59:39
coconut husk is fine to use
i like the look of it too so when the aspen runs out the hatchies might be getting some aswell as the king..lucky things they are
kdlang Posted - 03/01/2010 : 02:12:20
Thanks Kehhlyr. I was thinking an Amel too after looking at the morph guide but its not always easy to see.

So do you think i should keep the substrate as it is when i upgrade his viv since that is what he is used to or change it to something like aspen? Altho I liked the look of the coconut husk in one of the viv photo threads.
Kehhlyr Posted - 03/01/2010 : 00:12:39
Mr gets-morphs-wrong-a-lot-but-tries (ME) thinks it could be an Amel.

As for the substrate, it can cause issues if ingested like all substrates could but good feeding habits would rule the chance of that out.
If the substrate works for you, then use it.

The only time we recommend changing the substrates is if there are real potential health hazards, like if you were using saw-dust or something like that.
hiper2009 Posted - 02/01/2010 : 22:39:33
Nice snakling but not sure about the substrate
n/a Posted - 02/01/2010 : 22:20:21
Love the snakes colour it is very striking!
Found yourself a good one there.
Kellog Posted - 01/01/2010 : 19:03:38
Sammy/Alice/Sid is stunning!! Very strong and striking markings.

Would agree with being careful about that substrate. I would change it as soon as you were happy he was settled in and feeding. If you are going to feed him in the viv put down something to cover the substrate...like kitchen roll, paper, a tile, plate. This should lessen the risk while he settles in and before you can change the substrate.

xxx
kdlang Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:56:44
Paul - I was told he is about 18 months old. If anyone can tell me what morph he is I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hannah - Yes I did wonder about the substrate. It does say it is digestible but I would rather ere on the side of caution.
HannahB Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:58:38
aw pretty

if you keep him on that substrate make sure you dont feed him on it - if swallowed that stuff expands and can lead to serious medical issues which you wouldnt want might be an idea to change him onto aspen or beech chippings
Paul Hume Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:52:01
Wow, she's a lovely colour. Do you know how old she is ?
Stumpy Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:56:33
I did find that when I got tango with the complete setup he settled in quite quickly, I just kept to his routine, It was only when I changed his Viv Did I leave him alone for a week to get settled.
kdlang Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:51:37
According to the bag its called corn chip, a natural organic substrate. I haven't come across it on any of the information I have read but it is what he came with. The viv was set up like that wen we fetched him and I kept it as it was while he settles in. I am going to get a bigger viv in the next few weeks so I can make it more homely for him.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:32:01
wow, he looks really nice, just one question, wat is the substrate that he is on?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000