The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Taking photos...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 22:43:46
Hi there.

I have had a good nose on here now and there are some amazing photos of your snakes posted. Is there a special technique, lens or camera setting that ensures that the colours come out great and the picture stays sharp? As you can see from my two photos at the bottom - mine come out looking quite washed out and brown Please let me know as I would love to be able to record a good series of my carolina turning from it's current browns and yellows to the lovely reds and oranges of adulthood.

Many thanks.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 15/11/2009 : 18:36:43
holding the snake is easily the best way if you want a close up head shot :)
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 23:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by MissJelly

holding a wiggling snake in one hand and a camera in the other is probably not the best recipe for good results

That is exactly what i did in the above picture, works out quite well at times. ;)
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 21:30:34
Thanks for the tips. I like the bowl idea, the masking tape over the flash and I should stop being so lazy and get the DSLR instead of using my point and shoot all the time. I don't have a sport mode - but my other half has a camera that does - so maybe I'll call him up as reinforcements! Maybe I should have done this before too - holding a wiggling snake in one hand and a camera in the other is probably not the best recipe for good results
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 17:14:54
My pictures are taken with a DSLR on full manual, the flash set to one of its faster settings with a slightly slower shutter speed to pull in all the light possible but not cause blur. Appeture on the lowest f-stop possible to again pull in all the light possible. It is also possible to turn the flash up further and do as Eeji says and diffuse it with a piece of masking tape... or bounce the flash off a piece of white paper (if you use a flash gun rather than the built in flash) to get a nice diffused glow effect.

Even if you have a basic point and click digi cam there are things you can do to improve pictures. First, sport mode is your friend as it generally takes the picture with the fastest shutter speed possible given the available light... so make sure you take it in a very well lit room or outside and you should see far less blur. The tip about covering the flash with masking tape also works on this type of camera.

This is one of my pictures using the above methods. It is my Bairds Rat Snake.

Stumpy Posted - 14/11/2009 : 11:58:38
As long as it is fairly bright you will get away without using a flash.
eeji Posted - 14/11/2009 : 11:25:52
i use a macro setting, flash on medium, with a piece of masking tape over to diffuse it.
to get a good 'pose' pic of the snake, put it under a small dish so it can't get out then leave for a minute or two for the snake to settle. get your camera ready, whip off the dish and click away before it moves :)
only do this once at a time because some snakes get a bit grumpy keep getting manhandled around like this :)
Kellog Posted - 14/11/2009 : 05:22:42
To be honest MissJelly I just click and hope!!

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 14/11/2009 : 01:03:31
Hi MissJelly, I use a Sony A100 DSLR with a 50mm lens on Macro, no flash. But then I cheat and bring the colours back in photoshop .

I have a Carolina called Elijah and I just go a couple of decent snaps, so pop over to the photo section and check him out,

If you want I can have a bash a bringing the colour back into yours if you still feel they are not upto par? That one of Smooch is a good one though, don't forget as well, for every 50 photos you take you may only get 2 decent ones.

Regards
Mick
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 23:09:42
I'll try covering the flash. I use the setting that doesn't use a flash and reduces blur but as a result the colours are always faded and sometimes quite gainy.
hillzi Posted - 13/11/2009 : 22:58:02
A rizla over the camera flash is a good one, it dims the flash slightly, but you still get great piccies

Touché, that is a good pic of Smooch. :) I use a 3mp phone camera from many of my photo's (Not the ones of my new snake - theyr'e the ones been sent to me lol)

HannahB Posted - 13/11/2009 : 22:55:47
i use a setting on my camera made specifically for taking pictures of text, its also set to macro setting which is good for taking pictures with high detail and close up
i try not to use flash generally but i usually end up doing so but with something covering the flash so it doesnt affect their eyes as much
i really like that pic of smooch

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000