The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 What's a 'Pastel' and do you agree?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:19:11

Here's is the second corn snake I just brought today. The label on her box said she was a 'Pastel' Motley but in all the morph guides on the internet I can't find any mention of it. Is it another word for a lavender or a ghost morph. She is very purple and lilac and has a clear white belly - no black checker pattern like my carolina has. What do you guys think?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 15/11/2009 : 18:42:05
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

It can be tricky sometimes to tell what a hatchling is just from looking, helps a lot to know the parentage. So many of them look the same when young. I have one here which is most probably a snow but we'll know for sure only when he gets older and we can see whether he gets typical snow colours or any of the other morphs colours that are possible. We're not bothered either way so we'll just have to wait and see what emerges.

yup, Shen's a snow ;)

most likely is the person who sold it you saw white and thought 'albino'. Albino just means missing pigment so traditionally in mammals you get white because there is only one pigment system, but in cornsnakes there are 3 so technically an amel or anery could be called albino ;)
reptiledanny Posted - 15/11/2009 : 16:55:46
she is lovely, nice pastel, might think of getting one, then in 3 years breed with my ghost?
hillzi Posted - 15/11/2009 : 13:34:31
Yep, smooch is very nice. Sure you wouldn't notice if your house was raided...
n/a Posted - 15/11/2009 : 11:58:55

Thanks, Kellog, and no, we are not 100% certain. He was sold to us as "Albino" and with no information regarding parentage, so we don't really know for sure. Needless to say, this is an error I will not make when purchsing corns in future, but for now we are left with a little mystery and we don't mind at all . You are right, we love him no matter what morph he turns out to be in the end!

Kellog Posted - 15/11/2009 : 05:10:16
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

It can be tricky sometimes to tell what a hatchling is just from looking, helps a lot to know the parentage. So many of them look the same when young. I have one here which is most probably a snow but we'll know for sure only when he gets older and we can see whether he gets typical snow colours or any of the other morphs colours that are possible. We're not bothered either way so we'll just have to wait and see what emerges.

Never realised that you werent 100% sure whether Shen was a snow Hawkeye. Know you will love him whatever he is cos he is so gorgeous!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 21:44:45
quote:
Originally posted by Nuttyasha

The picture on iansvivarium of the pastel motley hatchling looks exactly like Boicie, but we purchased him as a ghost motley. He also looked very much like smooch when we first got him.

Smooch is absolutely gorgeous by the way

Nuttyasha Posted - 14/11/2009 : 08:18:01
The picture on iansvivarium of the pastel motley hatchling looks exactly like Boicie, but we purchased him as a ghost motley. He also looked very much like smooch when we first got him.

Smooch is absolutely gorgeous by the way
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 22:34:04
quote:
Originally posted by Medusa09

this is the only pastel I know about but doesn't look too much like smooch!

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/pastel/

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/dilutepastel/

Thanks a million for the link! Actually the hatching photo looks exactly like Smooch! My camera is clearly a bit rubbish when it comes to catching the colours. The adult picture is the exact same one that was on her box. So it would seem my baby is a Pastel then after all that!
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/11/2009 : 21:24:40
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Hehe my favourite pastel 'morph' is orange, and lemon.

Fabulous sweets.

I've never heard of corn being pastels, only royals. perhaps they just pulled something on you, to make you buy the snake.

Me neither, the morph guide does just say its a selectively bred ghost. I dont see any massive differences in a "pastel" or ghost hatchling.

Smooch is very pretty though.
hillzi Posted - 13/11/2009 : 21:21:32
Hehe my favourite pastel 'morph' is orange, and lemon.

Fabulous sweets.

I've never heard of corn being pastels, only royals. perhaps they just pulled something on you, to make you buy the snake.
reptiledanny Posted - 13/11/2009 : 20:54:44
id say she is a pastel. if you go on iansvivarium.com and go on the corn snake morph and find pastel she does look a bit like that one. i have a ghsot and yours is quite different from mine
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 19:46:39
this is the only pastel I know about but doesn't look too much like smooch!

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/pastel/

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/dilutepastel/
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:57:56
ha ha - maybe i should have called her Rowntree!
hillzi Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:54:49
a rowntrees sweetie.
HannahB Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:49:25
id go with a ghost,very cute thing aswell
can't say i have heard of them being referred to as pastel though
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:43:02
Well she is definitely a motley but I would say she is a ghost- I have never heard a corn referred to as a pastel.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000