The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Corn snake pics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
phil2 Posted - 15/12/2013 : 17:31:02
Also is it true you can also likely tell the sex of a corn by the tail if its more like a stump or a longer thinner tail? Il show you mine now

MOD NOTE links cleaned
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
phil2 Posted - 16/12/2013 : 19:16:10
thanks
Vince_the_snake Posted - 16/12/2013 : 07:44:47
I couldn't say whether it's male or female, but it's a gorgeous snakes anyway!
phil2 Posted - 15/12/2013 : 20:10:34
Oh gosh sound shard haha he doesent stay still lol
Razee Posted - 15/12/2013 : 20:03:26
Basically, you count the pairs of scales on the shed skin ( bit difficult to do it on a wriggly snake :-) - count from the vent ( cloak ), to the tale tip. Females have around 59 - 70 pairs of scales, males 70 - 80, so longer tails.

When you look at your snake from underneath, male's tail carries on the same thickness for a couple of inches after the vent, sometimes, you can even see a little bulge, where the muscles, that evert the hemipenis are. Female's tails narrow after the vent ( as there are no male organs in the tail ). As I said, it's not that hard to spot, if you have male and female next to each other.
phil2 Posted - 15/12/2013 : 19:22:13
Oh really, so whats the rule for a short stump as oppose to a longer thinner tail? Male or female?
lupi lou Posted - 15/12/2013 : 19:10:33
lovely snake, as Razee said it can give you an idea but it isn't 100% but that said even probing and popping aren't 100% accurate.
phil2 Posted - 15/12/2013 : 18:27:03
Ahh well he is 5 years old now, and iv never felt the need to find out butw as curious,
Razee Posted - 15/12/2013 : 18:00:19
Nice snake :-)

Yes, you can tell, but it's mainly with adult snakes, and it's much easier, if you have a male and female next to each other, otherwise it's quite hard to tell. And, of course, it's not 100 %.

Males' tails tend to run thicker ( or the same thickness ) after the vent for a bit, whilst the female's go narrower straight after the vent. It's because the males have the two reproductive organs " stored " in their tails.

Males tails are also meant to be longer, for the same reason, but it's even less reliable, as my male's and female's tail are almost the same length ( only 1 scale difference ).

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000