The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Mortally wounded! :P

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 17:40:48
Well I'm now part of the 'bitten club'.

And I have photo evidence to prove it.
Look away now if you're squeamish...some serious blood and gore here

Ready??

AND

Somehow I survived such terrifying attacks from such huge, scary, dangerous predators...

The culprits for each wound (respectively):

Hatchling #3. 6 days old...

Hatchling #8. 2 days old...

Hatchling #8 came out of the egg angry (well...defensive really, I'm much bigger than him and therefore quite scary) and hasn't calmed down since

Hopefully it'll make it easier to get them eating as they both strike anything that moves! Even someone trying to fill their water bowls...

On a more serious note... I didn't think something so tiny could even break the skin but they both just about managed it. It just felt like being flicked with Velcro and I was quite shocked that they had drawn blood
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hayleylsl Posted - 04/08/2013 : 21:17:19
Shocking wounds...totally shocking, I hope your hand hasn't dropped off yet...

My pet rabbit as a child once bit me so hard it left a scar on the back of my hand you can still see today, 25 years later!
mjpeters Posted - 02/08/2013 : 19:38:53
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

Sounds like my sort of place lol

Really? you know when a chap from south wight fancies you,when he 'high fives'you and he HAS five fingers not 7 or 8 or 2..
Moppet Posted - 02/08/2013 : 18:16:22
Yeah, I was quite impressed tbh. The wounds have healed without trace now

#8 is still angry as ever, just touching his cricket tub on the outside to open the lid and water him is enough to get him striking the tub!
smart bunny Posted - 02/08/2013 : 08:19:42
Wow, amazing that a 2 day old hatchy could break the skin - impressive from both of them! Have you recovered yet - or got any MORE bites yet lol?

Gorgeous little hatchies, congrats, and I love #8's cobra posing :D
coxymk2 Posted - 02/08/2013 : 00:01:40
Sounds like my sort of place lol
mjpeters Posted - 01/08/2013 : 23:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

MJ how were you allowed such fearsome and deadly creatures on a small island, I would of thought controls would have been much stricter lol:-)

The answer lies in 'The Island'some areas have been inbreeding for CENTURIES leaving large areas of erm 'people?'that quite frankly should be actively encouraged to keep dangerous pets-for the good of humanity
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:26:15
quote:
Originally posted by gaz1974

Hmm...on a serious note this is perhaps an example of why the fear of snakes is so unjustified.

My friend's kid's hamster bit Grandad not just breaking the skin but creating a wound that wasn't far off requiring treatment.

I know what I prefer as a pet!!!

Well said. Corn snakes aren't really capable of doing very much damage, even an adult bite isn't as nasty as some other 'harmless' pet mammal bites I've seen.

Hayley - thanks very much I think he is too but I'm a bit biased
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:22:15
he is just gorgeous :)
gaz1974 Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:21:50
Hmm...on a serious note this is perhaps an example of why the fear of snakes is so unjustified.

My friend's kid's hamster bit Grandad not just breaking the skin but creating a wound that wasn't far off requiring treatment.

I know what I prefer as a pet!!!
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:16:21
I will be selling them all. There's one or two that I'm particularly attached to but I don't have the space to keep them permanently. I will of course be keeping them until I find them great new homes .

#1 is such a fab snake, calm as a cucumber, a particularly beautifully bright normal female. #8 is such a character too, love his attitude it's just so funny and I'm sure he'll calm down when he gets used to people and grows up a bit
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:10:30
You keeping any of them? or seen one you'd love to keep yet?
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:09:12
I'm very lucky to have survived

He's such a little character. Fab little snake
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:05:35
wow, that must of been a hell of an experience! you could have DIED! D:
hehe
#8,...wow..just wow :o
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 21:12:38
Oh they did. Both of them struck more than once, #8 was striking the inside of the tub before I even got into it, he's got attitude that one.
Razee Posted - 01/08/2013 : 20:57:07
Moppet, I'm seriously impressed. That's a good going for something so tiny, they must have reeeaaally meant it to actually break the skin...

I'm also impressed with your calmness, with which you are facing such a horrendous and potentially life changing bites. :-)
Moppet Posted - 01/08/2013 : 20:48:41
Teeheehee thanks guys Somehow I have survived the gruesome injuries and still have both hands and all ten fingers! Some amazing first aid (after taking photos of course) has saved the day

#8 has such an attitude, I'm sure he thinks he's a cobra or something the way he s-es up and flattens himself, lifting himself off the ground to look bigger. Bless him

Thanks Thorne I think all the hatchies in this clutch are quite bright, must be mum's influence as she's a bright girl too.
coxymk2 Posted - 01/08/2013 : 20:20:53
MJ how were you allowed such fearsome and deadly creatures on a small island, I would of thought controls would have been much stricter lol:-)
mjpeters Posted - 01/08/2013 : 19:45:02
How many more helpless victims will there be before we learn the vital safety rules:

1/Never keep such dangerous animals as 'pets'!!!

2/If you chose to IGNORE rule 1-AWAYS wear heavy gloves (anti shark mail are good-Falconry a poor second)Never anything lighter than welders gloves.

3/Always use a hook-cattle prod at a pinch

4/Have someone with you whenever you are opening the reptiles enclosure

5/keep torniquet/anti-venom to hand.

6/Never not be AFRAID!!

My sympathies go out to the traumatized family at this difficult time
Thorne Walker Posted - 01/08/2013 : 19:35:11
Great Reds on #2..

no wonder it's so blood thirsty..

:)
scottishbluebird Posted - 01/08/2013 : 19:25:59
OUCH, you will be scarred for life
The last pic would have me fleeing for my life, never seen such a vicious beast