The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Hi Everyone

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Davey Posted - 29/05/2013 : 08:40:31
Hi my name is Dave I had my first snake about 10 years ago a Tangerine Honduran milk snake I had her for about 2 years until my ex got spooked by her and made me get rid but now 10 years later my wife said I can have a Corn Snake as a early Birthday present so we got a okeetee corn snake we have called her Lilith my kids love her want to hold her all the time even my 2 year old lol but I have a few concerns we got her on Saturday she hasn't come out much and at the moment she's taking to hiding in her cold hide and I'm just a little concerned for her being to cold the viv's temp at the hot end is at 85. We where holding once a day for about 15mins but I'm now trying to leave her be (it's really hard)also she hasn't eaten on Sunday but I know this will be because she has just moved. any how time for pics and a video :)

Lilith's Viv

a little video of her :)
http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/daveylock/media/IMG_1064.mp4.html

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/06/2013 : 08:56:53
Good timing then as it means she won't have to have a late feed . Make sure you have your camera ready when you feed her .

Xxx
Davey Posted - 02/06/2013 : 08:34:22
yea I noticed it last Sunday her eyes where blue they went clear about 3 days ago so I've been waiting for the shed to show itself I'm happy it's happened today as today's pinkie day :)
Kellog Posted - 02/06/2013 : 08:14:34
That looks like a great, clean shed . Did you realise she was 'blue'? Am sure it won't effect her eating tonight....if anything she'll be hungrier because shedding is hard work!

Xxx
Davey Posted - 02/06/2013 : 07:58:25
well got up this morning to find this

so glad she has shed hopefully she will eat tonight :)

Edited by Kellog to correct code
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2013 : 11:15:56
They are always interested in anything new to explore . I'm sure she'll happily eat tomorrow....she knows what's edible and what's not .

Xxx
Davey Posted - 01/06/2013 : 10:55:52
Yea both probes are lying flat on the floor of the viv under the substrate. It was quite amusing as when I was putting the cold probe in Lilith took a huge interest in it almost as if she was going to strike at it so hopefully she will eat her pinkie tomorrow when I offer her it.
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2013 : 10:42:18
That's perfect Dave . You don't want the warm side getting any warmer, but 29oC is just right. Just to check ....the probes for the stat and thermometer are lying flat together on the heatmat?

Xxx
Davey Posted - 01/06/2013 : 09:18:10
Well my digital thermometers came in the post yesterday I've set them up my cold side of the viv is at 20c and my warm side is at 29c is this ok or should I turn down the warm side a little?
mjpeters Posted - 30/05/2013 : 22:56:17
I feed all my smaller guys in a feeding tub (like a clear sandwich box)quite a few of them like to be 'sneaky'so I cover the box with a cloth-they then look all 'surprised'when I uncover them to put back in their viv,sort of 'what mouse,I haven't seen one'
A couple of the bigger ones like to be left overnight with the food,and I have two that have such an aggressive food response that I always feed them out of their viv-they strike and coil and coil and coil!there's no way I would want my hand near them
I guess I'm trying to say that they are all different,and so are their owners
You could always have another corn-so that they could share the 'load'of being handled-take it in turns
scottishbluebird Posted - 30/05/2013 : 22:22:26
Love the water pic! Kellogs was weird, at first she would eat in her faun, then wouldnt so tried feeding her out, did that for a few months, then she stopped eating, back in viv at this point and eating in there from bit of kitchen roll.
Kellog Posted - 30/05/2013 : 20:48:21
That's an amazing pic of her in her water bowl Dave . None of mine like water so I don't get to see things like this.

As for feeding....people do it both ways. The main reasons for choosing to feed out of the viv are to ensure that the snake doesn't swallow any substrate, to stop the snake associating your hand coming into the viv with food and to get better pics. You can stop the ingesting substrate problem by putting the mouse on kitchen roll or paper or a plate. Associating your hand in the viv with food isn't proven and many people don't have an issue. So the only major argument for feeding outside of the viv is good pics.....which is a pretty conclusive argument as far as I'm concerned .

If you look in A VERY ROUGH Guide to feeding it explains how to feed your snake out of its viv, if you decide you want to do it that way.

Hope that helps.

Xxx
Davey Posted - 30/05/2013 : 19:16:02
Thanks for all you're great help :) new question tho lol how do you all feed you're snakes as with my old one I was told just to give it a pinkie in it's viv but I have been reading that you should move the snake out of the viv to feed what do you all find best?

anyhow Lilith decided to take a bath today so I couldn't resist lol I don't think Lilith was happy with me snapping pics while she was bathing tho :)

Kellog Posted - 29/05/2013 : 20:15:02
That's great about getting the digital thermometers . Its daylight robbery buying them in the shops ....so glad we've got places like eBay . One suggestion, the stat probe would be better placed directly on the heatmat, with only a small sprinkling of substrate over that area. The thinking is that Lilith will move the substrate around, so you want to be in control of and measuring the surface she'll be touching, the mat itself....hope I'm making sense, brain fog evening .

It is SO amazing watching them drink and even more so holding them while they do it. You just wait until she's the size of my Kellog and decides she wants a drink before going back in her viv !

Xxx
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/05/2013 : 18:49:06
Hi and welcome
Moppet Posted - 29/05/2013 : 18:42:22
Hello and welcome to the forum Others have given you great advice. The only thing I would add is not to worry about corn snakes that hide a lot. Most corns spend the majority of the day time hiding away and have crazy parties at night...well mine do anyway, often trashing the decorations in their viv in the process
mjpeters Posted - 29/05/2013 : 14:45:31
Welcome! what a lovely and sensible wifey Corns ARE great pet snakes,I have 5 kids and they all calm down with the snakesLike the little Monkfield viv too-I've got a couple and they are fab for wee ones.
Enjoy
Figs Posted - 29/05/2013 : 13:38:38
Hello and welcome - lovely little worm you have there
Davey Posted - 29/05/2013 : 13:35:08
Hi thanks for all the great comments we have decided to leave her alone now it's really hard plus she seems to be in her blue phase so I'm hoping that she will brighten up once she has shed. I'm waiting for my digital thermometers coming through the post as they where £20.00 each at my local reptile shop and only £2.05 each with free delivery online for the same ones. And the stat is on top of the substrate on the hot end so I know the temp is right. But I've just got to add this bit of info the last 2 times we held her and it was time to put her back in her viv I held her over her water dish and she put her head into the water and started gulping it down me and my wife thought this was amazing.
twistedmonkey Posted - 29/05/2013 : 13:31:57
Hi and welcome
LukeW Posted - 29/05/2013 : 13:06:28
As said leave her alone for a week and don't worry when every ones asleep and its dark she will be exploring :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000