The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 I would like to introduce you to my first corn..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 08/03/2013 : 14:30:26
Well, all went well today and I picked up my first corn snake, Cathy from the breeder. I have to say, she is one nosey little so and so! It is a half hour journey from the breeder's house to ours and she spent the entire time having a right old jolly look round!

I thought it would be rude not to take a couple of very quick (and not the greatest) pics of her when I was putting her in her new home from her RUB. I know it looks like I am squeezing her due to the colour of my fingers (I promise I wasn't), but I am in a wheelchair and my fingers are that colour permanently. So, without further ado, may I introduce you to my CB12 Miss Catherine Earnshaw (Cathy).

I tried to get a pic of her tummy as it is a beautiful checkerboard, but she had other ideas and just wanted to settle into her new home

It is going to seriously test my limits of patience leaving her settle in for a week, but I know it is for the absolute best, as I want a happy, healthy girl
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 12/03/2013 : 07:51:59
Well, it is official. 5 days into corn snake ownership and I have realized that I have not been sold a corn snake. I have, in fact, been sold a periscope that at 9pm on the dot pops her head out of her Herp Haven hide to watch TV (according to Mr I Hate Snakes, here after known as my husband). You can quite literally set you clock by it. She spends her days sleeping, swimming and rearranging her viv to her tastes and playing with her loo roll. We have a game of "Mummy moves it when she changes my water and I shove it back to where I want it, usually in the way" during the day. We are all totally smitten with her, and even though she is only a baby, really can't imagine life without her already!
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 10/03/2013 : 09:11:13
Thank you smart bunny, when the established forum members take time out to say things are OK it really does make me realize that things are going fine. My husband is totally convinced that she doesn't like him - saying that, he is convinced the cat doesn't like him either!

I think I have just got one nosey and confident little girl, when I changed her water yesterday she had a wander round my hand and then went back to her favourite hide (yup, that settled she has a favourite).

When I put the laptop on this morning, there she was, up against the glass probably wondering what I was writing about her
smart bunny Posted - 09/03/2013 : 13:43:25
Ha ha ha, sounds like she is settling in great, so glad you got her home OK. When we got Corno she spent the whole week hiding away - and has done the same ever since lol. Ember on the other hand would shoot her head out of her hide to see what was happening the moment anyone got close to her faun, so it's totally normal and nothing to worry about, they are all different :D
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 11:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by NatalieC

She looks lovely Fi Love the picture where she's "eyeballing" your husband, that's a great one

Yeah, he wasn't that convinced on that one! She is going into blue now, noticed the film coming over her eyes when I changed her water, so going to take it very easy for a couple of weeks as I don't want her spooked, although she is the one making the contact in fairness.

Her viv is on a shelf literally within arm's reach on my left so it is lovely that I can see her most of the time, I just need to catch her drinking as I have missed that so far! She is currently burrowed in the warm side in her coconut shell, much to the children's disappointment. They are going to have to wait, just like I am
NatalieC Posted - 09/03/2013 : 11:09:48
She looks lovely Fi Love the picture where she's "eyeballing" your husband, that's a great one
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 10:20:04
It just gets better - have just changed her water, and as per the breeder's request did it slowly, and she had a little go of winding herself round my wrist. I also found her, erm, doings so that is all lovely and cleaned out now. Just going to leave her be now, I think changing the water is going to be more than enough for her first week

She does seem a happy little snow though, it has to be said.
Hissyfit Posted - 09/03/2013 : 10:05:48
Lovely to see her so confident I have the same viv for Orlando, and use window cleaning spray for the glass, just spray on and wipe with kitchen roll, makes it look lovely and has never caused any problems for the snakes
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 09:43:56
I managed a couple of sneaky snaps last night whilst Cathy was settling in (or scaring my husband, it depends which side you take on this one!) So, first up (and please excuse the hand prints on the glass, I am not putting furniture polish near her, I am going to clean it when I change her water in an hour or so - here is Cathy apparently "eyeballing" my husband (who was on the other side of the room at the time)

And here is one of her watching Wheeler Dealers according to my other half (ahem!)

She is so much fun already - I don't think I am going to mind her week settling in in the least, considering his reactions!

Edited to add - not cleaning the glass with furniture polish - going to be with kitchen paper and some elbow grease.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:56:17
Thank you for putting my mind at rest Donnie - I was actually starting to worry as she is displaying the opposite of what I have read in a lot of places (what is the saying? Don't believe everything you read on the internet!).

I have had a long hold of her previously at the breeders and she was just the same then, and, she is actually watching me type away as if to keep an eye on what I am saying about her. The minute the light goes on, out she comes for a nosey.
Donnie Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:46:45
Yes quite normal with some and others will hide away all the time, it is down to the individual snake and it sounds like you have a nice confident one
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:43:04
It is normal to have a completely nosey beggar of a little snake is it? She is a late Nov CB12 and nothing seems to faze her in the least. On the way home (which was a half hour drive) she was like a dog looking round until she had got the measure of the car, and then settled down for a rest. Although I only handled her for less than a minute transferring her from her RUB into her viv, she was quite disgruntled and kept trying to crawl up my arm away from it, but I didn't want to spook her too much so insisted that she got into her new home after a half hour car journey to settle.
kev 5 Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:32:35
glad to hear everything is going well
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:31:15
Thank you kev 5 - that is where is was when I put her in yesterday, so will do likewise today. She really is nuts - moving her viv round and scaring my husband! I put the laptop on at 5am, and there she was, having a nose as to what was going on. Think the week is going to pass quickly for sure, as just being able to see her is more than enough.
kev 5 Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:25:07
my snakes all have cold water placed in the cold end
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:22:19
Thanks Okeetee Mick - I really do appreciate it when someone who has been on here a long time and is obviously a serious owner takes time out to say that I seem to be on the right track
Okeetee Mick Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:18:15
Well done, sure all will go well.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 08:01:00
Thank you again everyone. I think the "settling in" week is going to pass very quickly. She moved on last night from making a substrate den to actually moving her home around (obviously where I put things wasn't to her liking!).

My husband is convinced that she doesn't like him and was looking at him and/or watching the TV. I did explain that she is going into blue so she probably can't see very much at all at the moment but he was having none of it, which ended in me handing over the debit card for him to get a fish tank - I really should pay more attention when I have just woken up!

I she has 2 hides and I popped a loo roll centre in last night for her to play with, but I think I am going to go and get her something else today as she seems to have exhausted all avenues of what she can do in her new surroundings. I was thinking of a skull with all its nooks and crannies for her as she seems to like the rougher surfaces to rest on but will put it to one side to see if she does need it, or she was just moving her house round to her taste!

Oh, could I possibly ask for some help here - obviously today I will be changing her water - do I put cold or room temperature water in? Yes, I know it is a stupid question, but I want to get things right for her as she has already had a swim round her water bowl
mrsbunt Posted - 09/03/2013 : 00:27:45
she's gorgeous congrats, I hope her settling in week passes quick for you :)
Moppet Posted - 08/03/2013 : 17:42:14
She's lovely. Congrats
Hissyfit Posted - 08/03/2013 : 17:25:29
She's very pretty

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000