The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Thoughts On Viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 14/10/2012 : 10:47:02
George is now finally settled into his finished viv. I decided to get rid of Aspen shavings and fit a grass looking rug (easy to wash).

It contains the following:

• George
  • Exo Background
  • Rock
  • Heat Mat
  • Grass (Rug)
  • Climbing Rope
  • Tree
  • LED's
  • Hides

What do you guys think?

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fayesmith666 Posted - 19/10/2012 : 18:00:54
I need this!!! :D amazing!
Welshlamb Posted - 17/10/2012 : 23:17:38
Yep managed to solve the problem.

Made a border from spare mat/ grass and blue tactd it all around the perimeter of the viv then placed the grass mat on top. Has worked great, so far (touch wood).Have just put in two logs and will be getting some more plants soon for additional hiding places.

Thanks for the tips
Dudeskin Posted - 17/10/2012 : 19:10:30
My Ruby recently started burrowing under her paper towel which I wasn't too happy with so I tried weighing it down as much as possible with other decor items but in general once they know they can get somewhere (and somewhere which is off limits ) they tend to always try and return
Thorne Walker Posted - 17/10/2012 : 19:00:23
Corns like to burrow... IMO you're going to have to deal (try blutac)..

He might give it up if there was more cover.

I also want to add (not accusing just tossing in an oz of prevention):

NO TAPE/ADHESIVE!!1!
Welshlamb Posted - 17/10/2012 : 17:55:16
Has had one poop and cleaned off easy. But will keep you updated. I am struggling and racking my brains as George has discovered a way of getting under the mat. I need to find a way to stop him. Any ideas ?

Or should I just leave him to it as I'm guessing when he's bigger he won't be able to get under it
Dudeskin Posted - 15/10/2012 : 08:51:53
I think it looks great (especially visually) but maybe add a few more fake plants or just old cardboard boxes/tubes that can easily be replaced so he has a little more cover as like Thorne mentioned some parts are a little sparce.
Thorne Walker Posted - 14/10/2012 : 23:25:15
Visually it looks great... my .02 cents is to mess that all up..

2 hides is a minimum, add more! Snakeys love nooks and crannies and your space is pretty open.

If it were mine to do I'd add a few pages of newspaper crumpled together and tied at the ends into a 'log' and some long paper rolls (kitchen towel) to increase the number of places George could play the 'I see you but you can't see me' game.

rubi Posted - 14/10/2012 : 18:43:30
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

quote:
Originally posted by rubi

Thats a fab looking viv. im loving that grass mat looks fab..if you dont mind me asking how much was it and where did you get it from? seriosuly considering one of them for rubi looks really nice. Does the heat mat work ok under it? and how often are you expecting to replace it?

Thats awsome thankyou, can you let me know how easy it is to clean etc as if so i think will definatly be investing in that, i have a l36 so hopefully will fit :)

Bought the rug in Ikea cost £10.00

The heat mat works well under it, plus its a tight fit so George cant get underneath. I have placed the digital thermometer on top and the sensor.

I cut the piece myself and there is enough for a second (which i'll be testing in the washing machine). Bare in mind my Viv is only a Viv Exotic LX24 so its not too big. I'm sure that it would fit the LX36, but you'd have to get measurements to make sure.

I plan on washing it and rotating with the second piece, each time I feed.

I think it will be fairly easy to remove poop and wee, but that will be the next hurdle as i'm expecting one anytime soon.

A better picture

Okeetee Mick Posted - 14/10/2012 : 18:20:51
Looks good, I've changed all mine except my Carpet Python to artificial grass, scatter some Orchid bark around to give a more natural look. Would never go back to Aspen, a pain to store big bales and goes everywhere even when spot cleaning.
lupi lou Posted - 14/10/2012 : 18:15:05
that looks really cool!
Welshlamb Posted - 14/10/2012 : 18:03:41
quote:
Originally posted by rubi

Thats a fab looking viv. im loving that grass mat looks fab..if you dont mind me asking how much was it and where did you get it from? seriosuly considering one of them for rubi looks really nice. Does the heat mat work ok under it? and how often are you expecting to replace it?

Bought the rug in Ikea cost £10.00

The heat mat works well under it, plus its a tight fit so George cant get underneath. I have placed the digital thermometer on top and the sensor.

I cut the piece myself and there is enough for a second (which i'll be testing in the washing machine). Bare in mind my Viv is only a Viv Exotic LX24 so its not too big. I'm sure that it would fit the LX36, but you'd have to get measurements to make sure.

I plan on washing it and rotating with the second piece, each time I feed.

I think it will be fairly easy to remove poop and wee, but that will be the next hurdle as i'm expecting one anytime soon.

A better picture

Welshlamb Posted - 14/10/2012 : 17:59:32
quote:
Originally posted by Isoldael

Looks awesome! How are you going to clean that grass thing tho? :)

I have a spare piece, so I am going to try washing it in the washing machine to see how it effects it. If that fails, my second plan is to make a formula in a bottle with washing powder spray it on and hose it down out the back then hang to dry.

Will give it a try later
Isoldael Posted - 14/10/2012 : 16:33:55
Looks awesome! How are you going to clean that grass thing tho? :)
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/10/2012 : 16:25:11
That is really great
rubi Posted - 14/10/2012 : 15:47:30

Kath Posted - 14/10/2012 : 14:06:34
Looks good Welshlamb. Glad you put George at top of your list!
Welshlamb Posted - 14/10/2012 : 13:43:10
Thanks all, was a little worried someone was going to say that the rug would not be a good idea. So far great feedback
Lozzy Posted - 14/10/2012 : 13:31:41
Thats brilliant, very lucky snakey!
Moppet Posted - 14/10/2012 : 13:10:51
It looks fab. Quite a natural look
Ness Posted - 14/10/2012 : 11:33:00
Oh that looks great, love the 'grass'!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000