The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 eating backwards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sleeper341 Posted - 07/08/2012 : 13:32:48
Hi, I've just fed Dani and she decided she wanted to eat her pinkie from the back end first. I didn't want to pull it away and turn it round as I thought this might stress her out a bit.

Is it a problem for them to digest if they take their prey tail first?

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jono2411 Posted - 14/08/2012 : 12:20:35
Hehe, when they get bigger and still do this it can get sketchy as you just see a leg jutting out the side of the snake :S
It's fine tho, they always seem to manage it or give up and go round the correct end so I wouldn't worry yourself :)

Great looking snake btw...
Hissyfit Posted - 12/08/2012 : 18:58:29
quote:
Originally posted by mgtrock

HAHAHA looks like the pinky has its paw over it's eyes going "noooo i can't watch! he's eating my bum first!!" lol

Lol, I was thinking the same
IncurableFlirt Posted - 10/08/2012 : 18:48:13
I, too, have watched several of my snakes eat their prey butt first. My hubby calls them butt munchers. Usually it is my younger Corns that do it, but I have witnessed my larger snakes (my female Royal to be exact) eating an adult mouse butt first. It takes her far longer to get the prey down, but she manages.
mkmattyk Posted - 08/08/2012 : 18:07:43
you should watch some of mine trying to eat large mice backwards... very funny, they try and fit the tail and back legs all in one go, if they do it this weekend ill try and get a vid on here
Moppet Posted - 08/08/2012 : 17:54:12
Apollo has done it twice now too. Once with a pinkie and once with a fluff. The pinkie went down as normal just backwards but the fluff took him ages to eat when it was bottom first!
Falice Posted - 08/08/2012 : 17:26:20
quote:
Originally posted by Lozzy

My Star is really special with eating and usually chews on the middle of the mouse for about 2 minutes before she finds the end *rolls eye* (usually the butt end lol) bless her!

So ye its fine like everyone else has said

LOL Trevor does exactly the same sometimes! how funny
Okeetee Mick Posted - 07/08/2012 : 19:15:33
Not a problem, mine dont know one end from the other.
BOWZER43 Posted - 07/08/2012 : 18:50:54
haha yeah it does look like like that!!! haha but syn eats from butt end first too, usually he like picks it up and just drags it around into a corner and then like shoves it into his mouth upside down, it is really weird to watch him eat...
mgtrock Posted - 07/08/2012 : 17:49:48
HAHAHA looks like the pinky has its paw over it's eyes going "noooo i can't watch! he's eating my bum first!!" lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/08/2012 : 17:49:32
Not a problem at all. She's looking great!
Lozzy Posted - 07/08/2012 : 14:49:23
My Star is really special with eating and usually chews on the middle of the mouse for about 2 minutes before she finds the end *rolls eye* (usually the butt end lol) bless her!

So ye its fine like everyone else has said
Sleeper341 Posted - 07/08/2012 : 14:04:07
Thanks for the replies everyone, puts me at ease :)
viraleye Posted - 07/08/2012 : 14:01:56
I've read that when snakes have killed their prey, they will look for the head and then proceed to eat.

Either way they eat it makes no difference
Figs Posted - 07/08/2012 : 13:39:50
Nope, theres usually no problems at all from swallowing bum first
Some snakes are just a bit squiffy like that

Sure i've read somewhere that most snakes swallow head first so the horns, claws, beaks, spikes and other various pokey bits on the prey are pressed against the prey/pointing backwards to make swallowing easier... but pinkies dont have horns
paulie78 Posted - 07/08/2012 : 13:39:32
Not a problem at all a few of my sub adults do it just takes em a lil while longer to eat it usually as instead of sliding down all streamlined its like putting a sqaure peg in a round hole lol
Auld Baldy Posted - 07/08/2012 : 13:39:28
Don't worry, it won't cause any problems.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000