The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Force/assist feeders.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 08:18:39
I have currently 3 non-feeders from this years clutches, 2 from the SS clutch and 1 from the AR clutch.

Having tried just about every trick under the sun to get these to eat, I decided on Sunday night to force/assist feed them a pinkie.

First to go was the normal stripe het amel and caramel. She's the biggest and healthiest looking of the 3. Here the pinkie was inserted slightly past her back teeth, and she was released when calm to continue eating on my hand. Often the swallowing reflex just kicks in naturally once the pinkie is past a certain point.

The second hatchling is a normal het diffused and charcoal, ph anery, hypo and stripe. This one was teeny tiny but still looking healthy until a few days ago when it suddenly went downhill. He was given a powerade soak, left to settle for a day, and then force fed. You can see in the pictures how skinny he is, yet he still managed a whole pinky. With the exception of chick thigh I've never fed partial prey items, not even to tiny snakes- food is supposed the leave a bump!! This baby did have me worried though as when I first got it out it was very limp and unresponsive. He spat out the pinkie the first time round, so the second time it was pushed all the way into his throat. Then he just lay there looking dead for a good 10 minutes and eventually I had to poke him with a pen to get him to swallow. Glad to say he's kept it down and is looking much brighter.

Last but not least is this little normal het amel, caramel and stripe. Full of attitude, a good size and very healthy- seemingly all I had to do with this one was annoy him, as after a few goes at opening his mouth with the pinky he struck at it and ate it with enthusiasm.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 28/07/2012 : 11:16:47
quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper341

quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

sleeper, corns can go weeks/months without and this should only be done as a last resort, ive seen my reptile friends do it, but i wouldnt really try myself

I know they can, I didn't say i was going to assist feed them, just try and feed them again. I'm pretty sure that they are still just settling in and destressing as I've only had them at home for a week. One is also in blue so thats probably why he isn't eating.

I am just a first time snake owner worrying a little as they haven't eaten for about a month. I know deep down there's nothing to worry about yet.

Patience................

Heya, no reason why you can't try a feed when they are in shed, some eat, some don't.

Most of the pewter clutch are now going into shed, not sure about the other clutch tbh as the only ones I have left are the 2 non-feeders that aren't for sale yet and because they have only had 1 feed they probably aren't going to shed until they do a fair bit more eating/growing.

When I fed the pewter clutch the other night there were 4 that were in shed, 2 ate, 2 didn't.

Be patient, and try to avoid handling the babies until they get eating again.
smart bunny Posted - 27/07/2012 : 20:37:00
Can I just say that the absolute most helpful part of this thread to me was: For the record, all these snakes are between 6 and 8 weeks old and hadn't eaten a thing since hatching.

Our new CRB still hasn't eaten yet (according to her records she had 3 feeds before we got her) and we've been getting really worried, and hubby has been thinking that surely after more than 3 weeks at such a young age we must be getting close to the 'trying assist feeding' point or risk her dying. Thanks to you pointing out that the corns went 6-8 weeks before you tried I am now happy that we have a few weeks longer to try different methods before needing to resort to assisting, especially as she has fed previously.

Thank you for posting this thread SB, and fingers crossed your little snakeys go on to thrive (such a beautiful stripe too!)
mkmattyk Posted - 27/07/2012 : 14:25:20
we've all been there sleeper, i worried so much with my first lol
Sleeper341 Posted - 27/07/2012 : 09:42:23
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

sleeper, corns can go weeks/months without and this should only be done as a last resort, ive seen my reptile friends do it, but i wouldnt really try myself

I know they can, I didn't say i was going to assist feed them, just try and feed them again. I'm pretty sure that they are still just settling in and destressing as I've only had them at home for a week. One is also in blue so thats probably why he isn't eating.

I am just a first time snake owner worrying a little as they haven't eaten for about a month. I know deep down there's nothing to worry about yet.

Patience................
ashby_steve Posted - 26/07/2012 : 19:58:25
i feel your pain!
mkmattyk Posted - 26/07/2012 : 17:56:12
Sleeper341 Posted - 26/07/2012 : 11:16:44
really interesting and helpful thread SB, thanks. The babies I got from you haven't fed with me yet but I've only had them for a week today and one of them is now in blue (Cyrus the Pewter). I will try them with a feed tonight as it's been almost 3 weeks since they last ate. Do you think I should leave Cyrus until he has shed or give him a feed too and see if he eats (I've read on here that some snakes are quite happy to feed while in blue)?
lupi lou Posted - 25/07/2012 : 18:52:27
intersting post hope they start feeding on their own for you!
Donnie Posted - 25/07/2012 : 18:44:36
Glad it went well for you and hopefully they will start feeding on their own now.
kev 5 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 18:42:08
you right it can be very difficult, i'm actually doing this with 4 of my hatchlings at the moment. they don't all act the same, some can be a lot more resistant than others. as said it can be very stressful for the hatchling and the owner. it's better if possible to be shown in person
gmac Posted - 25/07/2012 : 14:11:12
personally im totally against a step by step guide for assist and forcing, main reason for that is someone may read it and think piece of cake I can do that. In reality its not as easy as it looks to start with and is something that must only be taught with hands on experience not by an internet guide.

The other thing it wont show is each individuals reaction to undertaking this task, nor the snakes. This can be very stressful not only to the snake but the owner trying to do it.
paulie78 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 13:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Yeah, it is a tricky one, breeders and owner really ought to know at least the fundamentals of these things, even if they can't do it themselves (I find it incredibly tricky) and it would be helpful for a lot of people if there was a decent step-by-step guide, but unfortunately I think far too many would resort to it far too soon, and that isn't what I want.

To be honest i dont think its something i feel i could ever do simply due to the size of my hands in comparison to the size of a lil hatchling luckily for me i have other breeder friends who could come to my aid should i need to resort to assist/force feeding though i hope i never do again i felt terrible having to see sheldon go through that ordeal it must be horrendously traumatic for them but i still think its a great post so thankyou
kdlang Posted - 25/07/2012 : 13:34:42
SB this is a great post but I think you are very right in your thinking that some people would use it far too soon or without proper care. I think it is much better to leave a step-by-step guide but, that if someone truely needs help then have a few names of people who would be willing to help someone assist/force feed.

I am so glad you managed to get them to eat. My little stripe shed last night perfectly, just in time for todays feeding
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 11:56:00
Yeah, it is a tricky one, breeders and owner really ought to know at least the fundamentals of these things, even if they can't do it themselves (I find it incredibly tricky) and it would be helpful for a lot of people if there was a decent step-by-step guide, but unfortunately I think far too many would resort to it far too soon, and that isn't what I want.
paulie78 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 11:52:08
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Thanks for the kind words Paulie.

I have considered doing a thread on this, with step-by-step pictures and explanations, but tbh I think it would just lead to inexperienced or clumsy keepers injuring small snakes that they have tried to force feed after a matter of weeks (or 1 missed feed lol).

For the record, all these snakes are between 6 and 8 weeks old and hadn't eaten a thing since hatching.

I don't know what other members think about a FF/AF sticky- discuss.

Yes i think your absolutely right and your reasons above are exactly why i decided i did not want to attempt asssist feeding sheldon he hadnt eaten a thing in 5 weeks since i bought him :-( i guess everyones got to start somewhere but a lil bit of education goes a long way in my eyes as long as it is used correctly obviously
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 10:23:15
Thanks for the kind words Paulie.

I have considered doing a thread on this, with step-by-step pictures and explanations, but tbh I think it would just lead to inexperienced or clumsy keepers injuring small snakes that they have tried to force feed after a matter of weeks (or 1 missed feed lol).

For the record, all these snakes are between 6 and 8 weeks old and hadn't eaten a thing since hatching.

I don't know what other members think about a FF/AF sticky- discuss.
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 10:18:42
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

I'm blaming the kitchen roll

Hey, they love the Muppets!!
paulie78 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 10:09:30
Thanks to sexybear for posting this thread assist/feeding is not something i felt comfortable doing on account of my big hands and thought that i might inadvertently hurt or kill the snake i didnt really know how to do it or how far your supposed to push the pinkie in etc so this is most informative luckily for me i had a good friend who came over to help me when i had to resort to assist feeding in my attempts to get sheldon eating unfortunately we tried 3 times to varying degress amd each time he either unhooked himself from the pinkie or spat it back out soo frustrating he even refused live though he nibbled it a bit untill he killed it but afterwards was so stressed i honestly thought he was going to die he was lifeless and barely even breathing at which point i knew i was out of my depth and there was absolutely no way i was going to be able to get him eating.
This is an awesome post and maybe it should be made into a sticky ?
Okeetee Mick Posted - 25/07/2012 : 09:46:36
Good post, very interesting.
a33272 Posted - 25/07/2012 : 09:35:06
I'm blaming the kitchen roll

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000