The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Synagogue!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BOWZER43 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 04:32:44
Decided i would take some pics tonight so here they are. haha and a funny story. so while i was uploading the pictures i was reading the shedding thread about how owners usually never see their snakes shed. i knew syn was getting ready to shed. so when i got done reading it i went downstairs to check on him and what do ya know!! there is some old skin sitting right there!! haha first shed and it was good! yesss!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BOWZER43 Posted - 30/06/2012 : 16:34:42
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Do you mean 3-4 weeks or 3-4 months? If he's only 3-4 weeks I'd have thought 2 pinks was too much...

Also as I said before hunidity is bad for corns, so you don't want damp substrate. It shouldn't feel warm to your hand, it should feel very very lukewarm, as if there is barely any heat at all. If it feels warm to you , it's too hot for snakey. Don't worry, you'll get it sorted, just need a few adjustments :)

alrighty i will go back to one pinky for a while.
QueenVic Posted - 25/06/2012 : 16:47:53
Is the tank not a little too big for the snakey?

its a lovely set up though! love it.

As for sexing, there are various methods:
Candling (better on snows etc, but might work on amels.) shine a beam under the vent from the back, if its male you can see a red/purplish line in the tail, this is the hemipenis. If the tail is almost uniform in colour, its female.

Popping, where pressure is put on the vent (Dont do it unless you know exactly how!) and this will expose the hemipenis if its a male.

Probing, usually done to older snakes and means putting a probe into the vent to see how far it goes. Again, dont try that lol!

Also, when you have lots to compare you can get an idea just by the length of its tail. Females have shorter tails, males have longer to accomodate the hemipenis.
Ive heard of people doing a scale count on a shed, from vent to tip of tail. I think this is a little strange but may give you a very rough idea.
smart bunny Posted - 25/06/2012 : 08:14:19
Do you mean 3-4 weeks or 3-4 months? If he's only 3-4 weeks I'd have thought 2 pinks was too much...

Also as I said before hunidity is bad for corns, so you don't want damp substrate. It shouldn't feel warm to your hand, it should feel very very lukewarm, as if there is barely any heat at all. If it feels warm to you , it's too hot for snakey. Don't worry, you'll get it sorted, just need a few adjustments :)
BOWZER43 Posted - 25/06/2012 : 05:05:03
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

ok, so is the coco fibre damp?

if it feels warm in there, its too hot.

Its not too damp, the top is more dry than the bottom.

and when i touch the repticarpet on top of the mat its warm. i cant feel it unless im really close to it.
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 23:01:57
ok, so is the coco fibre damp?

if it feels warm in there, its too hot.

booteylu Posted - 24/06/2012 : 21:47:06
They can be popped or probed, both should only be done by an expert though as it can damage the snakes internal "bits"

Scale counts can be done but these are not definitive http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

(that last paragraph is just a bit of fun lol)
BOWZER43 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 21:35:00
right now i am feeding him 2 pinkies every saturday. is that good? and also how can you tell if the snake is a male or female without breeding??
Donnie Posted - 24/06/2012 : 17:00:55
You don't want to powerfeed your snake as it can have long term health effects for them. Just be patient and feed him every 6 days at the moment. There is a feeding guide posted on the link below

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22619
BOWZER43 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:47:44
quote:
Originally posted by alib

Hey,

Looks like a great snake... how old is He? viv size compared to him looks bigger then what you normally see? does he seem stressed coz i was thinking of getting a slightly larger viv then the small plastic boxs every 1 sugests? what do you think?

your set up looks good as well. :)

He is only around 3 to 4 weeks old so ya is is pretty tiny, 10 or 12 in. probably. the viv is a 10 gallon tank and he seems to like it. he will burrow in the dirt and has his own potty corner. Do any of you guys know the fastest way to make him grow and get big?? cuz i want to get him bigger so i am not afraid of breaking his little bones!!
ScalySituation Posted - 24/06/2012 : 09:54:26
hes so titchy!!
viraleye Posted - 23/06/2012 : 21:20:47
quote:
Originally posted by BOWZER43

quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

What about the thermostat though??

i do not have one but the mat is turned down on the lowest and ive been checking it and it just warm. so idk if i just leave it on low if i need a thermostat but i will look into getting one.

You can't turn a mat down as its just a mat with a plug so it sounds like you already have a stat :-)
alib Posted - 23/06/2012 : 20:37:37
Hey,

Looks like a great snake... how old is He? viv size compared to him looks bigger then what you normally see? does he seem stressed coz i was thinking of getting a slightly larger viv then the small plastic boxs every 1 sugests? what do you think?

your set up looks good as well. :)
BOWZER43 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 20:35:15
quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

i do not have one but the mat is turned down on the lowest and ive been checking it and it just warm. so idk if i just leave it on low if i need a thermostat but i will look into getting one.
viraleye Posted - 23/06/2012 : 18:53:37
BOWZER43 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 18:14:16
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Lovely little snake, but you really could do with a digi thermometer in contact with the mat and a stat as viraleye says. Also, is that wet moss in the corner? Have you just put that in as you knew a shed was due? Absolutely fine if so, but you don't want it there all the time as corns can very easily get respiratory infections if it's too damp - they need things fairly dry not humid :)

Also, what substrate are you using? I don't recognise it :)

Yeah the moss was just for keeping the humidity up for shedding. its gone now.
BOWZER43 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 18:11:46
The substrate is called Eco Earth. It is compressed coconut fiber. its really cheap and comes in blocks so you just add water. here is a link: http://www.petco.com/product/10813/Zoo-Med-Eco-Earth-Compressed-Coconut-Fiber-Expandable-Substrate.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_Substrates

The dial is a Thermometer and a Hydrometer. Its zilla brand and i really like their stuff. everything i have gotten from them seems to be good quality.
viraleye Posted - 23/06/2012 : 09:07:03
I was wondering about the substrate too but looks like jungle carpet? Its too flat to be a soil of any kind??
smart bunny Posted - 23/06/2012 : 08:31:53
Lovely little snake, but you really could do with a digi thermometer in contact with the mat and a stat as viraleye says. Also, is that wet moss in the corner? Have you just put that in as you knew a shed was due? Absolutely fine if so, but you don't want it there all the time as corns can very easily get respiratory infections if it's too damp - they need things fairly dry not humid :)

Also, what substrate are you using? I don't recognise it :)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 23/06/2012 : 07:58:30
Lovely looking snake
kev 5 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 07:56:50
lovely little snake. you dont really need a hygometer

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000