The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Introducing Volvagia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Volvagia Posted - 12/11/2011 : 00:29:12
Only had him/her (assuming a him until I get a herpetologist to sex him) since Wednesday; despite the conventional belief on forums that you should leave snakes for a week or longer before handling him, a work mate experienced with corns/reptiles said I should handle in less time just to get used to him/get him used to me. Anyway, enough blathering, here is Volvy - can anyone tell me what morph he is?:

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bricktop Posted - 29/11/2011 : 12:31:03
a great looking wee fella!
EmSquem Posted - 16/11/2011 : 16:31:34
Wow so cute!
garrie Posted - 13/11/2011 : 19:02:29
Very cute corn you have there
mikerichards Posted - 12/11/2011 : 20:32:21
dude......seriously.......a corn snake bite tickles more than hurts!!! If you wanna know what a real bite is, i have a snappy 5ft boa, that'll bring a tear to the eye!!

Believe me, corns arent suddenly gonna go feral because you havent held them for a few days, some of mine havent been handled this year, let alone this week!!!! Handling most snakes is something YOU want, not what the snake wants or needs.
Volvagia Posted - 12/11/2011 : 19:24:19
Cheers for the info guys. I think it's safe to say Volvy's a timid rather than a fighter. Found him under his cardboard igloo just now and thought of trying to handle him, but then realised that not only was he huddled in the corner, poor guy, but I am actually... well, a wimp myself. It's not the pain of a bite that worries me, but the sudden-ness of the biting action. So yeah, for his sake more than mine, I'm going to leave him for another few days before trying.

I'll try feeding him tomorrow though.
mikerichards Posted - 12/11/2011 : 18:57:24
there is nothing in any rule book or official guide that says you must leave them for 7 days. Its a good idea, thats all, no one should say you HAVE to, its down to choice, we all have to live with the choices we make.
Its not a normal, the belly checkers would be solid if it were, and they aren't.
Spreebok Posted - 12/11/2011 : 18:47:17
What a cutie! Also, I totally approve of the name, such a great boss design!

As for the leaving for 7 days, yeah, you're meant to but uh... I've never done it for any of mine. I leave them a day and then handle them, but I will say they have all been very placid when I first got them, and they've all eaten like pigs since day one. If I didn't know the history, and didn't know how well they feed, I would leave them. I may get narked at, but I've never had any issues with mine, all feed like pigs and soft as butter!
Mort13 Posted - 12/11/2011 : 18:06:39
He's lovely I've always left mine a week and got a feed out of the way before starting handling just to be sure.
Daniel_G Posted - 12/11/2011 : 17:49:17
Cool!
Looks great!
Hissyfit Posted - 12/11/2011 : 17:38:38
Nice pics
SheWolfey Posted - 12/11/2011 : 16:54:40
He's gorgeous.
I would leave him a week before you handle him again though. Just to make sure he is properly settled in
Emmy1 Posted - 12/11/2011 : 15:44:47
Looks like a Normal to me, as he has black lines around the saddles. Congrats on your new buddy!
mikerichards Posted - 12/11/2011 : 10:14:10
quote:
Originally posted by Volvagia

I guess I'm just being an over-anxious newbie Mike! Sounds a dumb question I know, but will he actually be more calm if I just leave him to his surroundings? Saying that, I was planning on giving him a chance to eat this Sunday just incase he's hungry.

Honestly, it depends on the snake and how much its been held by the previous owner/breeder, sometimes you get one thats been held a lot and it really doesnt need much time at all, sometimes you get a head case thats never been held and it nervous as anything, then it needs more time to settle down! Its swings and roundabouts, and its your choice.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 12/11/2011 : 06:52:39
Nice pics, as Mike says why the rush!
scottishbluebird Posted - 12/11/2011 : 02:05:48
I think its best to leave him a week to settle down, then a few mins at a time. Great pics
Volvagia Posted - 12/11/2011 : 01:23:08
I guess I'm just being an over-anxious newbie Mike! Sounds a dumb question I know, but will he actually be more calm if I just leave him to his surroundings? Saying that, I was planning on giving him a chance to eat this Sunday just incase he's hungry.
mikerichards Posted - 12/11/2011 : 01:13:16
Hypo!

Incidentally, corns can live 20+ yrs, why the rush to get him used to you? why not let him get used his new environment first??
gmac Posted - 12/11/2011 : 00:34:15
looks like a normal to me,

congrats

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000