The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Our big girl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 18:50:36
Our amel, Bonnie, currently weighs in at 190g, measures 36" and she's only 10 months old! She sheds every 3-4 weeks like clockwork. Here's a pic of our gorgeous girl finishing her tea(unsexed really but she's a girl to us )

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tordyjo Posted - 30/05/2011 : 11:29:12
i love how her colours have come out
Mort13 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 10:19:10
Wow she is a big girl! She's lovely too I might add.
Good on you for taking the advice on here,I'm sure you'll do a great job.
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 22:05:29
Thank you everyone for your advice. We will reduce the feeds accordingly as we don't really want our Bonnie to end up looking like our daughter's draught excluder!

Your comments are most appreciated. I'm glad we found some helpful advice just in time. We'll keep you all posted with her progress
lotabob Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:55:07
I have always fed mine every 7 days. I intend on staying at every 7 days while ever they are steadily gaining weight and moving to every 10 days as their growth slows. I would say that the size and frequency you are feeding is a factor in the growth but even taking that into considertion I'd still say its growing very quickly. I would go to every 7 days for the next few months and keep an eye on growth, it should slow a little but more importantly will avoid obesity creeping up on you (well the snake, lol).
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:43:01
Unfortunately corns are absolute dustbins and tend to eat whatever you put in front of them, even when they are obese.

Yours certainly looks healthy enough, but I would be willing to bet money that she ends up overweight. Now is definitely the time to knock back the feeding a bit. I'd give her a small every 7-10 days personally, but by all means wait for other opinions
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

A medium mouse every 5 days for an 8 month old is, imo, far too much, even if she is big enough to manage it. My 8 month old to yearlings are on a small mouse every 7-10 days.....

To me, that growth is exaggerated, not normal.

We were advised that so long as she was shedding and pooing well, inquisitive, active and she was eager for her meal it would be fine.

Since she is a very healthy snake we never thought her feeding routine would be a problem....do you think we should reduce her feeds to 1 x medium every 10 days? Any advice is most welcome especially if you think we are (unwittingly) doing something wrong, thanks.
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:21:17
A medium mouse every 5 days for an 8 month old is, imo, far too much, even if she is big enough to manage it. My 8 month old to yearlings are on a small mouse every 7-10 days.....

To me, that growth is exaggerated, not normal.
lotabob Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:19:00
I think you have one of those unusual Cornsnake BCI's, lol. That incredible growth. I have a freak of a Royal myself, it just shows there is the small side of the scale but there is also the massive side of the scale.
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 21:06:13
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

That is ridiculous growth, wow!! My yearling isn't even that big yet!!

What do you feed it?

I know, she's a biggie! She's currently on 1 x medium mouse every 5 days but it's looking like she'll soon be on large mice. She's always ready for her meal, never refuses and she always strikes and coils around the mouse. She pooes and sheds like clockwork and as with no problem and although she's our first snake I think she's a really happy snakie and we love her to bits!
animalcrazy Posted - 29/05/2011 : 20:47:28
wow she is beautiful and growing fast.
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/05/2011 : 20:43:03
That is ridiculous growth, wow!! My yearling isn't even that big yet!!

What do you feed it?
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 20:38:54
I just thought I'd show you how much she's grown in the past 8 months or so...

This is Bonnie 8 months ago:

And this is our girl today:

thistle Posted - 29/05/2011 : 20:18:56
Wow, and I thought my amel Barnaby was big at 120g and just under 30" at (almost) 11mths!
kaf Posted - 29/05/2011 : 20:17:52
Ha ha!! Definitely 10 months old (according to breeder's sheet). Got her when she was 3 months old and she was only little...but sooooo very greedy!

At the moment she has 1 x medium mouse every 5 days and - just like her shedding - her pooing is also like clockwork, she always pooes twice in between feeds. Generally, a day or so after the second poo she's already out and about looking for more food! Greedy little chops...
HannahB Posted - 29/05/2011 : 19:53:25
shes lovely - she definitely only 10months old?
lotabob Posted - 29/05/2011 : 19:44:38
The best part of 200 grams and 3 feet at 10 months!!! What are you feeding it, kittens?
Mamma Posted - 29/05/2011 : 19:29:43
lovely

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000