The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Mandy. My rescue case.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:38:22
Hi peeps, Mandy is a female snow corn. I saw the snake in a add on Gumtree and asked you guys if it were a male or female.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9770&SearchTerms=Sexing,a,snake
My girlfriend wanted the snake so bad I had to get it for her, not just of the morph or the size but coz like you guys said "its not in good health"
Me and my gf actually felt bad for the snake, I went and fetch the snake 4 Fridays back, AND GLAD I DID. The snake is so obese and over fed it not even funny,
when I got her she had some small scars on her body coz of the size of her Viv. I measured her +- 1.5m the Viv the people had her in were a 4ft x 1ft x 1ft (custom build)
with a small 7W Habistat heatmat, and no thermostat. I took the snake straight to the vet not even stopping at home straight to the vet, he said besides being over weight, shes in perfect health. Now she`s in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv. Mandy`s got the sweetest temperament Ive ever seen in a snake. She is on a diet atm, we weight her at the vet weighing 1.1kg.

I know I know I could have got something better for that money, but it makes me feel better knowing the snake is out of the prev owner`s hand, and being looked after properly now.

Now I need some help and tips on getting a snake to loose some weight.
The vet said I should feed her once a month, what do you guys think?

Here are some pics of Mandy.
(Please don't mention anything about her weight she is very sensitive about the topic LOL)

This photo were taken in her old Viv, check the size of the heat mat.
and Mady`s fat rolls.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/06/2010 : 18:26:19
To be perfectly honest, aside from not having a stat and mat being wrong sized I wouldn't have said she was that badly looked after.
She was (obviously) fed well which does show care fore the animal it's just a massive amount of people don't believe that stats are needed because so many reptile shops either don't tell you or say that they aren't needed.

She does look like a stunning snake, and losing a bit of weight would do her some good but at least she's not been underfed.
Sta~ple Posted - 30/06/2010 : 18:11:38
If this helps at all, mine was about 1.2kg before dieting so a true fatty lol, had a meduim or small mouse every week/2 weeks. Changing the weeks to every 4 weeks with rats does nothing. X-large mice diet every 3/4 weeks wasn't really helpful as he was not burning any off the extra energy, just burning up the x-large mouse. On the 26th/05/10 he was 1193g, today I weighed him as he was 1106g, so that's 87g lost in a month after a diet of having 1 large mouse every 3 weeks. I will probably change this to every month, no more than that as I don't want him to lack in any vitamins or, I will feed one medium mouse every 3 weeks.

I think he lost a lot with free roaming an me using my arms so he could clibe. Also, I put some plants in his viv that he seems totally fasinated by for some reason and clibes up them. Just anything new I put in his viv like some boxes, he investiagtes for hours! Things that have been in the viv before tend to get ignored more as he recognizes the smell.
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 16:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Sorry to sound dumb but how big in feet is she? I don't know meters lol if she was like around 5ft and even a bit over the old viv size would have been fine :p :/ I have my fat boy in a viv of 48inchs x 15, and he's around the 1kg mark as well. The fat just makes the viv looks smaller. Stunning snbake there though, very beautiful! I'm glad she's in a btter home!

And wow that snake is as fat as mine x.x I got told to feed my snake on small/medium rats that's why mine is a fatty. I am now deieting him on 1 large mouse every 3 weeks, I may move this to every 4 weeks. Stairs do help but you have to be careful! Mine seems to stick his head in a corner that looks spotless and come out with dust and cat hair's and then he sneezes :/ he also doesn't like going up the stairs, he'd rather go down lol.

Adding/changing stuff in the viv will make them more active so they burn off the fat. Regular handling and supervised free roaming in a safe room is a good way too. I know some poeple make their corns swim to burn off the weight but i wouldn't because of the damaging the tyring effect does to scales, wouldn't want the sores to get all wet and then get an infection.

I stole Kellog's toliet roll like play house, she outs her's in a bag and lets the snake play, I put mine all in the viv :P
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9802&SearchTerms=Kellog
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10089&SearchTerms=Kellog

She may never loose all the fat and tyres, sometimes no amount of dieting will get rid of it, it can be there permeantly unless there is some form of snake lypo suction :p it's generally around the tail the fat stays.

Pehaphs we should tell our snake's it's a competion to see who looese the most weight the fastest? :p

Sta~ple she is about 5ft ill try and get a true measurement.
kdlang Posted - 30/06/2010 : 13:13:14
She is lovely and so lucky you have got her. Good luck with her diet. Our local vets has a slimmer of the year award. It's usually photos of dogs they have up but I wonder if they would consider a snake too lol
crazy JJ Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:45:39
she is a nice looking corn :D

i would be just as angry as you if i saw an animal like that and their plans i think i would go of ma rocker lol but glad she is in a safe home now :D
herriotfan Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:26:00
Thank goodness you rescued her. She's a very pretty girl.
I can quite understand how you feel really cross about this person trying to breed when they can't even take care of the pets they already have.
Sta~ple Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:13:43
Sorry to sound dumb but how big in feet is she? I don't know meters lol if she was like around 5ft and even a bit over the old viv size would have been fine :p :/ I have my fat boy in a viv of 48inchs x 15, and he's around the 1kg mark as well. The fat just makes the viv looks smaller. Stunning snbake there though, very beautiful! I'm glad she's in a btter home!

And wow that snake is as fat as mine x.x I got told to feed my snake on small/medium rats that's why mine is a fatty. I am now deieting him on 1 large mouse every 3 weeks, I may move this to every 4 weeks. Stairs do help but you have to be careful! Mine seems to stick his head in a corner that looks spotless and come out with dust and cat hair's and then he sneezes :/ he also doesn't like going up the stairs, he'd rather go down lol.

Adding/changing stuff in the viv will make them more active so they burn off the fat. Regular handling and supervised free roaming in a safe room is a good way too. I know some poeple make their corns swim to burn off the weight but i wouldn't because of the damaging the tyring effect does to scales, wouldn't want the sores to get all wet and then get an infection.

I stole Kellog's toliet roll like play house, she outs her's in a bag and lets the snake play, I put mine all in the viv :P
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9802&SearchTerms=Kellog
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10089&SearchTerms=Kellog

She may never loose all the fat and tyres, sometimes no amount of dieting will get rid of it, it can be there permeantly unless there is some form of snake lypo suction :p it's generally around the tail the fat stays.

Pehaphs we should tell our snake's it's a competion to see who looese the most weight the fastest? :p
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 11:50:45
I agree Luke, the worst is the prev owner had a few leopard geckos too. And even they looked in bad shape.
Honestly I felt like phoning the RSPCA. I asked him why is he selling the snake he replied "we have a foster child and cant look after the snake anymore"
What makes my blood boiled, when I asked him about the geckos "Ye Im breeding geckos" and he had had a pair of corn snakes that he also trying to breed!
O he doesn't have money to look after his pets but still try to breed them PATHETIC!!!!

I hate people like that!! (Sorry if I sound harsh)
luke1989 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 11:27:53
good job on saving her buddy. how can some people be so cruel.....????!!!!!!!!!!!!
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 11:18:17
Thanks Judith.
Yip my girlfriend bought her a new Viv (complete setup, heatmat , thermometer water dish the lot)
the next day we got her.
Kellog Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:56:20
I just thank God that you now have her Neels, and I can totally understand why you did what you did. If I had seen a snake in her condition, kept the way she did and had the money I would have done the same thing. It is amazing that she is such a lovely natured snake considering all of this.

She is beautiful, despite her condition. I am not a fan of snows, but she has some gorgeous colouring with the yellow down her sides and almost peach/salmon saddles.

I guess you could feed her every month on a jumbo mouse, or every 2/3 weeks on a large mouse....just a thought.

Stairs are a great exercise tool as Hillzi says, but it will take her a while to get used to them, so dont expect too much too soon. Also any sort of obstacle courses using boxes, stools, any household objects....anything that will make her climb around and use energy. Letting her move around a lot 'free' on the ground when you handle her will help as well, allowing her to cover as much ground as possible. Just try and think of anything that can be used as a fitness regime!!

And you dont need telling how vital it is to get the stat and thermometer....I bet you have them on order already!

She is a lucky snake.

xxx
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:55:07
Thanks Hillzi
Ill definitely do the stairs exercise.

Ye I got her 29" x 11" heatmat and the 100w matstat.
hillzi Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:44:27
Right, she's a lovely looking corn well done for saving her.

I'd feed her monthly, at that size it wont do any harm, on a jumbo mouse.

I'd also (if you have them) let her our daily for as long as she'll take going up and down the stairs in your house.

If you don't have stairs, us a long hallway.

I'd buy a 100w matstat, habistat brand or microclimate an a 11x10 or whaever the measurement of it is, and some digital aquarium thermometers, ebay them buddy, cheap and more accurate than the dial thermometers.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000