The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 It paid off

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:00:38

Okay for those of you who dont know my Colin has just come out of a fast which lasted nearly four months. He has fed three times so far so its still early days. One of his problems is he has always been fed in the viv and getting him to feed out of it was proving a nightmare.
Given that he has only fed three times since his fast i was taking the michael a bit when I had the brainwave of trying to feed him out of the viv so soon.
However... I rolled up my sleeves and plonked him on the carpet then proceeded to get him to chase a mouse round my livingroom floor. There was a pensive moment after he stuck and constricted it where he let go but after a moments deliberation he decided it was too juicy to let slip through his grasp hense the pic

I am well pleased I have finally got him to eat out of the viv and for once can be reassured he hasnt eaten any aspen this time YAY!!!
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 16/06/2010 : 04:43:31
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

My big fella hasn't eaten since March...

Still not showing any sign of cooling down..

Dont give up hope Hillzi, Kellog stopped feeding at the beginning of March and ate his first mouse on Monday !! He has lost 100g in that time, but then he had the weight to lose so I am not too worried. I certainly didnt expect him to eat, just thought I would get the normal 'pretend the mouse isnt there'....but I was totally wrong. There was no amazing strike and coil....just a slow and calm sniff around the head of the mouse (which I had warmed and brained) and then he took it like a gentlesnake and proceeded to eat it!! I had weighed the mouse like I usually do and promptly forgot the weight as I didnt expect him to eat it. Silvesta has now eaten for the 2nd week running as well....so the end is in sight....

xxx
hillzi Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:08:41
My big fella hasn't eaten since March...

Still not showing any sign of cooling down..
HannahB Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:41:40
thats fantastic that hes started eating and feels ok to do it out of the viv nice pic aswell - hes really nice
elament Posted - 11/06/2010 : 12:25:21
Thanks Judith cant tell ya what a relief it is to not only have him eating but out of the viv
Kellog Posted - 11/06/2010 : 03:30:30
That pic is so good to see Steve....and you know that I totally understand your relief about him eating!! When mine eat I feed both of them on the floor, on a towel. Kellog was originally fed in his viv as that was how his previous owner did it but once I found the forum and realised the dangers I decided to give feeding him outside the viv a go. For some reason it didnt even cross my mind to try feeding him in a RUB....I just put him on the towel and dangled the mouse....the rest is history (up until he started to refuse to eat AGAIN!).

KdLang - when they are horny you just keep offering them food on their normal feeding day (so weekly for Silvesta and fortnightly for Kellog) and hope that they take it. Once they started showing breeding behaviour - trashing their vivs and refusing food - I started trying to feed them in a RUB so I could leave them in it with the mouse for a while, rather than leave the mouse in the viv. It did work a couple of times with Silvesta....but only after I had warmed the mouse and slit its stomach open . Fed him on Tuesday and as he had just shed and seemed more calm I put him in RUB, warmed and brained mouse and then dangled it....rather than just put it in with him and keep him covered. I was really surprised when he struck....he missed first time but then grabbed hold, dropped it and was a bit like Colin....he looked at it as if to say 'What do I do now?'....and then he ate !! The relief is amazing but I also know that just cos he ate this week doesnt mean he will eat next week.

Kellog shed yesterday but is still seriously active. Am going to try and feed him like I used to, on the floor, on Saturday....but I wont be holding my breath.

Colin is looking really good Steve, I do love the white marking around his saddles....and to see his mouth around that mouse....!!!

xxx
elament Posted - 10/06/2010 : 11:42:51
Well Its a bit of a story really....
When I got Colin I did not have this group so didnt know any better and did as I was told to feed him in the viv with the mouse on something to stop substrate ingestion. After joining this group I found out you can feed them out of the viv which would alay all my fears about him accidently swallowing some aspen so I tried. The first time I put him in an rub and he didnt show any interest whatsoever. I put him back in the viv put the mouse in with him and he promptly ate it leaving me only to deduce that he didnt like the rub. The following week I tried the rub again and same again he blanked me but ate it in the viv. Week after I tried a different RUB and this time he blanked me again only this time when I put him in the viv he still ignored the mouse. I thought at the time that I had upset him but what I was to find out was that it was the start of the fast which then went on for nearly four months. He only started feeding again three weeks ago and this was feed number four which in itself was a day earlier than it should have been so I was already pushing my luck. I just kinda sensed that he was hungry and thought what the hell lets give the feeding out of the viv a go again. Last week I left the mouse on a dvd cover in the viv as usual but that time he struck it constricted then dragged it off under his hide where I couldnt see him eat it so I spent a pensive few days worrying he might have swallowed some aspen. Thats the main reason I gave the out of viv feeding another shot this week and I am soooo glad I did. At least now I know its possible. By the way that pic up top actually makes him look a lot bigger than he is in the body I think it must have been the camera angle.

Cheers

Steve
kdlang Posted - 10/06/2010 : 09:50:15
I wish Izzy would eat out of the viv. Mind you he is still in the sometimes he will eat, sometimes he won't mode so maybe when he is eating regularly I will persist a little more. I might try feeding him on the floor instead of in a rub. The problem with Izzy is he just doesn't seem interested in the mouse. He will have a little sniff then just slide about over it as if it isn't even there. Maybe it's just that he is still in breeding mode. Did you try every week to get Colin to eat outside the viv or just every so often?
amanda121921 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 22:13:24
congrats!my squidward hates eating out of the viv too but did it the other day so i know how you feel, well done
n/a Posted - 09/06/2010 : 21:31:59
i'm glad to see he's eating okay now

dee x x x
elament Posted - 09/06/2010 : 21:06:31
Thanks guys. I been trying to get him to feed out of the viv for months. I guess he just dont like RUBs and prefers to take mouse on the carpet lol
Sta~ple Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:52:53
Awww bless him :)
n/a Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:22:29
nice missing black
Starmist Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:14:09
These photos are amazing! I can't wait for mine to get bigger!!

Oooh check the signature Lol!
herriotfan Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:14:08
Bless him, super photo!!!
elament Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:06:19
Cant believe i got him to eat out of the viv. Really its a champion result with him.
n/a Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:04:33
Congrats
mozacchio Posted - 09/06/2010 : 20:03:43
Nice pic..!
Finally no aspen, huh?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000