The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/05/2010 : 23:31:54
I have an 18 month old corn,which has fed weekly without fail.He has refused to eat for the past 3 weeks can anyone give any advise?thanks
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 19/05/2010 : 05:47:26
You say viv temps are fine....what are they and how are you measuring them? (just to make 100% sure there are not any other issues going on)

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/05/2010 : 11:30:27
thanks for all your comments,all very helpfull.i`m not sure if spot is a he or a she,had spot from a baby corn.hopefully it is down to the breeding season then fingers crossed!he poos and wees fine viv temp fine too.
Kellog Posted - 18/05/2010 : 05:42:19
Hi Tony. It is most likely that him not feeding is down to it being breeding season - both my males are horny and havent eaten for the last 2 months, last year Kellog went for 13 weeks without eating - but dont panic....they are adults so yours shouldnt go that long without eating.

It is a good idea to eliminate any other reasons for him not eating - are the temps in his viv ok? What sort of set-up does he have? How long have you had him? How often does he feed and is he fed in the viv? Is he pooing and drinking normally?

When they are like this they are also abnormally active, trying to escape their vivs all the time - mine literally climb the walls! You need to continue as normal....offering him food on his normal feeding day, not more often. You could try warming the mouse, braining it or even splitting its stomach (I did that and got one of mine to eat for a couple of feeds but he refused again yesterday despite mouse guts being on display ).

Do you weigh him? If not then it is a very good idea to start. You can weigh him before each feed and that way you can monitor whether there is any drastic weight loss. If there is only a small amount of weight lost then you know that his not eating is due to a natural fast (he wants a lady friend ), but if he is losing a lot of weight that may indicate that there is a problem.

The main thing is not to panic - easier said than done, I know! Kellog refused his first feed with me when I got him and then continued to refuse them....which is when I found this forum. They explained what was going on and what to do (and havent been able to get rid of me since )

He will eat when he is ready - I know when Kellog did it was an absolute shock (being the first time I had seen a corn feed) and such a relief. I will feel so much happier when my 2 start eating again....

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 18/05/2010 : 00:49:47
if he is defo a he i would put it to breeding season, but saying that my hormonal males have just started eating (at last)
herriotfan Posted - 18/05/2010 : 00:03:17
You say 'he'...could be that he's a bit hormonal. It's snake breeding season.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000