The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Blimey I've done everything wrong - help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 15/05/2010 : 17:43:09
I decided to clean Twilight's viv out completely today only to discover another regurge hidden away which must have been in there for some time. I feel really bad that I didn't notice it. I fed him two really small mice on Sat 1 May, didn't notice that he must have brought back one of them and then fed him again on 8 May which I'm presuming was what I then found brought back up two days later. His temps are fine and he's just shed but he usually eats OK during this time. I had just moved him up a size on his food so I'm guessing that was the problem and the 2nd regurge may have been because I unwittingly fed him too soon after the first undiscovered one.

Anyway, my problem is I want to make sure I leave him alone for a good ten days now to settle his stomach before trying him with a smaller prey item but I've already stuffed that up by cleaning all his viv out and changing his hides for bigger ones. Also, the little bit of retained shed on the back of his neck I thought I had gotten off is still there so what do I do about that? Should I leave the shed and worry about it later? Reptile shop mentioned using extra virgin olive oil on the shed - good idea or not? Also, do I take the ten days rest from now or from the last regurge find which was Monday?

Cheers all, from StressySam
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
matty18714 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 16:17:55
Leave the shed on, it wont do him any harm at all.

So has he regurged twice in two feeds? Your post is a bit unclear. Either way I would leave him for a good 2 weeks.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 15:24:36
Im not completely sure so i would wait for somebody else to reply aswell, but as far as i know it should be ok and will just come off with the next shed. But like said somebody else will need to confirm that.
Sammysnake Posted - 16/05/2010 : 15:11:44
Hi Danny, thanks for the reply. The retained shed is tiny - one or two scales wide and about four scales long. Just a tiny patch as you said just behind his head. I used a wet towel on it the other day holding him firmly and letting him wriggle through (he didn't like it very much). I thought I'd gotten it but now it's dry I can see it again sticking up. As it doesn't go all the way around and will therefore not cause a circulation issue, can I just leave it to come off next time or will that damage the scales underneath?

Cheers, Sam
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 18:17:01
The ten days is only to let his stomach juices level out again so take it from when he alst regurged.

He should be fine with you completely cleaning the viv out, infact it was probably the best thing to do if there has been a regurged mouse in there that you hadn't seen for sometime as the bacteria will have built up.

As for the shed how much of it is there? Is it just the bit you can see on the pic in your profile just behind the head?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000