The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 How do you tell is a snake is old?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 01/05/2010 : 15:17:49
Not with just the grey scales ;) I'm starting to worry myself as my adults are getting upto the 8/9 year old mark. I know the life span is about 10 - 20 years but there must be some sort of sign that they are getting very old.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 06/05/2010 : 16:42:10
Ha I think if someone tried to talk to Venom they would just be stared at by him and that's it.

Now thank I think about it, I think Venom will be 9 his year and Char will be either 8 or 7.
simonw Posted - 06/05/2010 : 13:31:12
There are people who claim they can talk to animals...maybe worth a try.

Seriously though, my two 11 year old males are as agile and active now as when they were 3 or 4. Only real difference is that they are quite happy staying out of their hides for long periods...although I recently bought new ones and now they are back in a lot.
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/05/2010 : 10:25:23
quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

Hi

Is there a way of knowing how old my snakes are I think around 2 but not sure, I would like to know how old they are.

Unfortunately without accurate records or information from previous owners it's near impossible to tell I'm afraid.
All snakes seem to grow at their own rate and to different sizes.
Best thing to do is try to get info from previous owners (how long they had him, if they had him from young, or if not did they ask how long the owner before had him.
Then just pick a number and stick with that.
n/a Posted - 05/05/2010 : 09:54:04
Hi

Is there a way of knowing how old my snakes are I think around 2 but not sure, I would like to know how old they are.
gingerpony Posted - 02/05/2010 : 13:36:02
my OAP is pushing 20 years old............

he's certainly not remotely thin weighing in at nearly 1300g although he has been on a diet for 18 months and lost over 200g. he's relatively inactive despite being housed next to 'the girls'. he doesn't really do anything in a hurry either and would much prefer to gently take a mouse from the tongs rather than strike and properly constrict - that would be far too energetic!!!

he does have problems shedding, i don't think he's supple enough any more to do it and usually only manages to get a bit off but then his shed skin is a lot thicker and probably more difficult for him to remove. it DOES make it really easy for me to roll off him while he has a bath though

to look at you'd just think he was a big corn rather than an old corn
Sta~ple Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:14:48
Well I got told mine were both a year old when I got them, what time in the year I have no idea and they came with no record and I can't rememberer what year I got them in ._. I know that Venom is around 9-8 , I have no idea she could be 7 - 6.

I've noticed Venom slow down a bit but he's not thin so I guess at this point it's probably his weight. I wonder why the age of the dying due to age is such a wide age bracket though.
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 05:59:38
Spoke to a breeder recently and saw a couple of his old corns, think they were about 12yrs old....and Danny is right. It is just a case of them slowing down, not moving around as much, not showing as much interest in things, not eating as much, they begin to look thin despite eating and there being nothing else wrong with them....just nature taking its course....

xxx
hillzi Posted - 01/05/2010 : 22:18:13
Accurate records!

However I don't keep as such, I know my Blaze was born in late september 08, and that blitz is 5/6 years old.

Have always wondered this though.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:44:44
I guess that's good and bad then...
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 16:29:48
I think they just gradually slow down, there may not be any actual signs of age.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000