The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
animal.jr Posted - 25/04/2010 : 12:01:55
hey guys, snakie shed the other day, but he has a piece remaining right on the tip of his tail.. have tried moistning it, an getting him to go thru a wet towel, but it still staying on.. HELP>>!!!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 27/04/2010 : 20:21:55
theres no set order to try and get retained shed off, at least it has been noticed and the snake has an owner that is caring enough to try and help get it off

i soaked edison in a luke warm bowl of water (27*s is the right temp to aim for) and then used a dry teatowel for him to wriggle through, i found that because the towel was dry it was rough enough to catch the retained shed but not too rough to hurt him in any way, a damp one does work aswell but personally when the snake is already a bit damp i dont see the need for a wet towel
has he had issues shedding before?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 20:10:26
I put a damp hide in with candy when she goes into shed and then get her tail off with a damp kitchen paper,works everytime. But she retains around 2 inches on her tail.
Sta~ple Posted - 25/04/2010 : 19:38:54
I just thought a bath would be more effective and a quicker way of doing it plus if I made my hides damp imagine bacteria and mould would grown on them or something. I have no idea to be honest I have only had this happen once and the damping stuff didn't work but the soak combined with the wet towel work and it also showed up other areas around the neck that hadn't come off.

I would try the damp hide maybe first then the bath and the damp towel.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 19:18:03
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

But if it is a young snake and it doesn't come off surely as he grows it would cut off the blood circulation to that part of his tails as young ones grow very fast.

I imagine if the skin is just on one scale it doesn't matter but if it's the whole tip of his tail it would.

If it weren't removed then it would cut off the circulation and the tip of the tail would fall. But there are other methods for removing retained shed and baths are very stressfull so should be a last resort.

Let the skin soak in a damp hide and it will come off with some damp kitchen paper.

I weren't saying don't get it off, i was saying there is no need for a bath right now.

Edit - If the snake shed 5 days ago it needs to come off very soon. It may already have started to constrict blood flow.
crazy JJ Posted - 25/04/2010 : 17:49:12
a RUB is a really useful box lol erm cant even think on how to explain it now.... lol brain dead haha !! like a plastic box thing ya see them in wilko's

thats what i always thought sta~ple but there ya go :D
animal.jr Posted - 25/04/2010 : 17:41:55
he is just inder a yr old.. what is a RUB>>? have tried wrtting his tail an using cloth, still no joy.. snake shed bout 5days ago now..
Sta~ple Posted - 25/04/2010 : 16:33:55
But if it is a young snake and it doesn't come off surely as he grows it would cut off the blood circulation to that part of his tails as young ones grow very fast.

I imagine if the skin is just on one scale it doesn't matter but if it's the whole tip of his tail it would.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 16:04:35
How old is your snake?

Its not worth giving a bath for a small bit of retained shed if its a small/young snake.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 15:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I would dampen a bit of kitchen paper and just apply a little bit of pressure around the tail area, after he wriggles out a few times the shed should come off.

You could also try giving her a damp hide for a day or so first. When did your snake shed?

If you try the first bit- TRY and soak the tail for 10 mins- I didnt and I hurt my snake

xXx
Sta~ple Posted - 25/04/2010 : 12:35:38
If you have a RUB, give him a bath and put the lid on with air holes and supervise him. Or you don't have a lid just make sure his back-end don't leave the RUB although it will be a lot easier with a lid. Leave him for 10 mins don't fill too deep though, you want him to be able to slither around the RUB with water, not swimming. Then get a wet towel and let him run though that. You probably won't notice the skin on the towel but you will have to just to keep checking the tail and when it comes off, dry him.

Water temp I would keep to what you set the hot end of the viv to. I wouldn't keep him in their any longer than 15 mins and when you put him in, he probably won't like it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 12:11:38
I would dampen a bit of kitchen paper and just apply a little bit of pressure around the tail area, after he wriggles out a few times the shed should come off.

You could also try giving her a damp hide for a day or so first. When did your snake shed?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000