The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Corn Snake problem or not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 20:36:32
Hi, My corn snake has reciently decided to climb the glass like he wants out, but i have her out all the time. so i have brought a new tank for her cos she needed the new tank and she is still climbing the glass like she wants to come out, but she has decided not to eat for a few weeks now. can some one please explain
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 08/04/2010 : 05:15:06
quote:
Originally posted by elament

......He also climbs the glass and is trying to escape so hard he actually damaged a scale on his head by trying to wedge it between the glass panels. .......

Had this with Kellog when he first went through his horny phase last year and solved the sore nose problem by putting a paper binder along the inside edge of the glass panel. Means that any gap that was there now isnt and the plastic is a lot softer edge for him to push his nose against than glass....just a thought....

xxx

mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 16:18:56
The breeding season for cornsnakes naturally is about march to june, after warming up from hibernation, pretty much the same for most ratsnakes as they tend to live in temperate climates. Its different for boas for example, they go on a light cycle, and a nighttime temp drop of a few degrees, they don't hibernate, they generally start their season around october november, it usually about 120 - 140 days before they drop. Royals are similar, end of the year to the beginning, no true hibernation but they do cool, same with a lot of pythons.
elament Posted - 06/04/2010 : 14:08:16
My Colin has been off his food now for two months during which time he suprised me by taking a medium about three weeks ago but since nothing. He also climbs the glass and is trying to escape so hard he actually damaged a scale on his head by trying to wedge it between the glass panels. I wouldnt worry just keep offering grub on the usual day and keep chucking it in the bin the following day when he refuses until such time as he gives in. Its frustrating but commonplace in male snakes over 24". If you think you got problems about the same time Colin got the raging I rescued another corn who it turned out is evidently female. As soon as he caught whiff of her he went into overdrive lol. It can help if during this time you viv feed and leave the prey out in the viv (on a suitable hard surface to avoid injestion of substrate) overnight as they can suprise you by showing no interest initially then changing their mind a while later. Thats what Colin did when he ate 3 weeks ago he innitially turned his nose up then took it a few mins later when it was left in the viv.
Hope that helps

cheers

steve
Sta~ple Posted - 04/04/2010 : 08:32:11
My snake gets horny around the October to January time but I don't think that's really normal and he only becomes more active and he always eats. No idea if the girlies get horny though.
herriotfan Posted - 04/04/2010 : 05:26:07
So what is the normal breeding season for snakeks? Are all males like this? What sort of age does this usually start?
Kellog Posted - 04/04/2010 : 05:18:47
A couple of other forum members have discovered that their 'females' were actually males in just the same way, had them go off their food and start to behave strangely - then they just had to wait for them to eat and think of a new name !!

I know that it is hard not to worry Dan, but I had this with Kellog when I first got him. Offered him his 1st feed and he refused it....and he continued to refuse food for 13 weeks ! He was climbing the walls of the viv, trying to escape through the gap in the glass doors (when the gap is only tiny so no chance ) and was causing chaos in his viv. That is when I found these guys on the forum and they explained to me what was going on and how to deal with it - they definitely kept me sane, dont know what I would have done without them.

Firstly they had me check all other issues, which is why Kehhlyr asked about your temps etc. Then it was a case of offer him the food every 5 days (which was his normal feeding schedule), if he didnt take it then leave it in the viv overnight and remove the next morning. One very good piece of advice they gave me was to weigh him before each feed so I could keep an eye on his weight loss - he only lost about 50g in 13 weeks, which for a snake over 600g was not a lot, which showed that it was a 'natural fast', whereas if there had been a rapid weight loss then it would indicate that there was something wrong.

It is so tempting to offer them food more regularly as all you want to do is get them to eat, but then you are just adding stress, so it is important you stick to their normal feeding schedule. I threw away a lot of mice in that time!! And then one morning I dangled as usual, expecting to be totally ignored....and he suddenly struck !!! You can imagine my shock, delight, fear (as this was the first time I had experienced anything like it).

It really is a case of waiting them out, offering them food normally and trying not to stress. Then you just have to wait for the next time they do it - and Kellog has just started again, almost exactly a year since the last time ! At least this time I know what to expect and he is only being fed fortnightly, so not as many mice to throw away! Also, he could do with loosing a bit of weight !

xxx

n/a Posted - 02/04/2010 : 23:31:21
Thanks for the advise Cheers :)
hiper2009 Posted - 02/04/2010 : 14:58:16
What would we do with out Kehhlyr - Great advice
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:47:09
Some stop looking for a mate in a week or 2, others will happily try to make you worry for 8 weeks.
As long as it's got plenty of water and still gets offered food regularly, then I wouldn't worry about it to much, snakes can go for quite some time without eating.
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 22:53:27
Ah ok that might make sense so will he start to eat soon or how long is it usually a long time
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 21:55:25
It could may well be that your snake is infact a he and is looking for a she.
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 21:46:51
i think it is a she and "IT" is 1 and a half and i have had her for a year now
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 21:29:16
Most snakes that haven't fed for a few weeks at this time of the year is put down to breeding season. The constant escape attempts are also attributed to this time of year.

How old is she?
Is she definitely a she?
How long have you had her?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000