The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Behaviour Changed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hiper2009 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 12:52:48
Hello , My snow corn Romeo has changed these past 2 months and til now he has gone extreamly aggresive he won't let me handle him or go in to his viv to change water or spot check he rattle's his tail and hiss's alot and when i do try to touch/pick him up he bites me.

I have been bitten 13 times in 6 days and when he does bite he throws a coil around and rattles his tail he has changed alot and it makes it harder for me and i feel its harder to handle him now and plus not to mension his size also hes a big boy at 4ft.

For the past 2 months i have put in his viv a used worn t-shirt of mine , socks , gloves and none of this seems to be working and if any one comes near his viv he strikes at the glass.

I don't know what eles to do but any suggestions could help me please.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 04/04/2010 : 10:08:06
The season will be done in about 8 weeks or so, it depends on the snake really, the best thing is to keep handling him, let him know that you are not scared and that by biting you, he is not gonna put off being picked up. Did anything happen before this started? did he get hurt when he was out, or something like that?
Kellog Posted - 04/04/2010 : 05:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

seems to be a lot of snakes turning funny at the moment on here, i would put it down to breeding season. trust me to get a blooming male snake..lol
Good luck hiper hope it wears off soon, for everyone.

You say that about males....but it sounds very similar to how Missy is with Devilsmistress at the moment?? So it is not only you who has a snake that has been 'taken over' by a different personality Hiper.

I know it is really tough (and very easy for me to type) but I do think it is really important that you continue to handle him as much as you used to and as calmly and as normally as you used to....and hopefully he will come out of this period and return to the loving Romeo you are used to. I know that when we went away for a week Silvesta was harder to handle again when we got back and it took him a while to settle back down, so obviously the period of going without handling had effected him.

I am so sorry you are going through this, especially as I know how much you love Romeo....with him being your 1st special snake and he always was so lovely. But try and grit your teeth, dont show him any fear or nervousness, be calm and patient, and focus your mind on your old Romeo and this being the only way of hopefully getting him back.

You know that I am no expert Hiper, and I wish I could help you more....

xxx

hiper2009 Posted - 03/04/2010 : 19:15:12
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

seems to be a lot of snakes turning funny at the moment on here, i would put it down to breeding season. trust me to get a blooming male snake..lol

So will i have to wait how long until breeding season is over ?
n/a Posted - 02/04/2010 : 15:06:37
hiper2009 Posted - 02/04/2010 : 14:44:07
Thanks Phil , soo when does breeding season finish ?
Jennet Posted - 01/04/2010 : 17:23:00
What he said ^^... and definately pics!

Seriously... I know it must be really worrying for you, but if you really do feel there is anything other than this, then a vet trip may be advisable. Alternatively, if you want to send a faecal test off for screening to check for parasites etc., the website addy is:
http://www.palsvetlab.co.uk/
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 16:45:03
This is the same issue I've got with Trio at the moment.
It's been put down to breeding season and probably is. Most snakes just stop eating for a while during the breeding season, and others get aggressive. It's not as common to have a snake get proper grumpy during breeding season though, all I can suggest is just carry on as you are and he'll come out of when he's realised that he isn't gonna get any action.

Just remember to get some pics if he tags you nicely.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/04/2010 : 15:59:13
They get grumpy around breeding season? I never knew that.

Have you in someway changed your smell?
hiper2009 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 14:12:04
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Have you changed anything in his tank or anything different from before?
If not it could possibly just be because its breeding season and he on the hunt for a female because jaffa my male is about 4 foot and he shed a few weeks ago and since that he is constantly active looking for a female in his tank, but also he has turned a little grumpy and rattles the tail and strikes sometimes which he normally doesnt do because he dont want to be disturbed as much.
Im sure others on here will probably have some ideas too.

Nope nothing has changed at all , i don't think its due to the breeding season issue.
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 13:53:54
Have you changed anything in his tank or anything different from before?
If not it could possibly just be because its breeding season and he on the hunt for a female because jaffa my male is about 4 foot and he shed a few weeks ago and since that he is constantly active looking for a female in his tank, but also he has turned a little grumpy and rattles the tail and strikes sometimes which he normally doesnt do because he dont want to be disturbed as much.
Im sure others on here will probably have some ideas too.
hiper2009 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 13:01:55
Forgot to say i don't feed Romeo in his viv he always gets fed in a RUB and this is making it harder to feed him due to i keep gettting tagged i have started wearing stab proofe gloves now when i take him out of the viv for feeding.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000