The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Is there something wrong?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 15:31:02
Maybe it's just me, but I don't know what's going on here. A week ago, Spaghettino (6-7 months old now) had a clean shed. The day after, i handled him and then fed him, and he ate with no problem. After that, for three days, he was hiding in the substract at the cool end without even moving (i could see him from the glass). Then he started getting active again (there was no bump) so i handled him this last couple days as normal. Especially yesterday he was very calm (he stayed still on my hand, which he has done it only twice and i have him for 4 months now) but a few hours later that i gave him a pinkie and he didn't eat it.. I left him with the pinkie all night but he just didn't seem to be interested. There might be something wrong or i'm just a too-worried mum?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mozacchio Posted - 28/03/2010 : 10:11:24
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

You could leave him 5 days since the time you tried him and then offer him one, if he takes it then defrost and offer another

Thanks for your help Danny! I always worry too much..!
(btw did you get my email?)

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I would definitely leave him for the 5 days until it is his normal feeding day. Dont try and feed him any sooner as this may stress him out. He can go for a long time without feeding so dont worry too much. I would also only offer the one pinkie for now until he is feeding normally....then increase his feed.

I am surprised you havent found or smelt any poo in this time, or that he didnt poo when you handled him. Is there a bulge near his rear end, by the vent? If so then he may have an impaction (be constipated). If you think this is the case then stroking him when you get near to his tail may help, just stroke on top and below it because the firm downward rubbing may encourage him to poo. Giving him a bath might help also encourage him to poo - rinse the bath out so there is no gel/shampoo/soap in there, put just enough water in so he can swim without touching the bottom, you dont need to support him as snakes are good swimmers so he will be fine, make sure the water is around 27' with a thermometer first though. This often encourages them to poo.

I would also suggest that you dont handle him before a feed - it can cause them stress.

xxx

I hadn't thought of constipation, really! I'll check for poo first and then i'll follow your advise. It's not easy to detect it though, since i have put much substract (he likes to burrow in it too much!) but i'll try..!
Thanks!
Kellog Posted - 28/03/2010 : 04:58:30
I would definitely leave him for the 5 days until it is his normal feeding day. Dont try and feed him any sooner as this may stress him out. He can go for a long time without feeding so dont worry too much. I would also only offer the one pinkie for now until he is feeding normally....then increase his feed.

I am surprised you havent found or smelt any poo in this time, or that he didnt poo when you handled him. Is there a bulge near his rear end, by the vent? If so then he may have an impaction (be constipated). If you think this is the case then stroking him when you get near to his tail may help, just stroke on top and below it because the firm downward rubbing may encourage him to poo. Giving him a bath might help also encourage him to poo - rinse the bath out so there is no gel/shampoo/soap in there, put just enough water in so he can swim without touching the bottom, you dont need to support him as snakes are good swimmers so he will be fine, make sure the water is around 27' with a thermometer first though. This often encourages them to poo.

I would also suggest that you dont handle him before a feed - it can cause them stress.

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 23:29:08
You could leave him 5 days since the time you tried him and then offer him one, if he takes it then defrost and offer another
mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 22:17:45
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Has he pooed as normal after the last feed. Just thinking he might not have digested his food properly since he was in the cool end of the viv instead of the warm end after his dinner.

I'd give him a few more days then try him again.

I didn't check but i handled him the last couple of days just fine and he hasn't regurged either. I'll wait a few days and i'll try again.
kdlang Posted - 27/03/2010 : 21:11:08
Has he pooed as normal after the last feed. Just thinking he might not have digested his food properly since he was in the cool end of the viv instead of the warm end after his dinner.

I'd give him a few more days then try him again.
mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 20:50:09
Every 5 days. He still has one big pinkie per feed but i intend to move him up this months since one pinkie leaves no bump any more.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 20:06:42
Just don't feed him.

How often do you usually feed him?
mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 19:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I wouldn't worry about it, leave him for 5 days or so and then try him again.

You mean just not feed him or not handle him as well?
Hope you ment the first one!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 16:52:07
I wouldn't worry about it, leave him for 5 days or so and then try him again.
mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 15:33:15
I knew i would write something wrong!
it's "but a few hours later that i gave him a pinkie, he didn't eat it".
Sorry!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000