The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Silvesta - just horny or sick

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 25/03/2010 : 05:15:26
I know I posted some of this on SGrossyboi's thread but am getting very concerned about Silvesta.

By his behaviour I had assumed that he was going into horny mode....trying to escape viv, trashing it, burrowing all around the viv, very active when handled etc. Then when I fed him last week he ignored 1st medium mouse and then ate it but refused 2nd, despite leaving it in RUB with him for a while.

At that point I didnt get too concerned. He did the normal 3 poos after a feed, but then continued to do something that can only be described as a caramel splodge 4 times in the last few days before his next feed.

I also noticed that he was doing this 'sneezing' thing a lot more than usual when he was being handled.

What got me really worried was when I came to feed him on Wednesday. Weighed him as usual and despite him having eaten a 24g mouse the week before he has only put on 3g .

Again he totally ignored original offer of food, so I warmed it up and brained it and left him in covered RUB. Was amazed when I came back to find that he had eaten it. No luck with the 2nd mouse.

At the moment he is curled under warm hide, although when I originally moved him back into viv he was cruising around and even climbing his branches (which he hardly ever does).

Do I need to be worried? Can snakes sometimes just have a bit of a tummy bug? Is this just down to being horny? I guess it is the lack of weight gain that is scaring me most....but advice would be greatly appreciated....as soon as possible, please .

xxx
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 09/04/2010 : 11:50:36
Gobo is doing the same thing! I've put it down to him being all randy :D
mozacchio Posted - 08/04/2010 : 09:48:54
I can't really help you much, but i'll tell you what i think. Firstly, i wanted to remind you of my topic last week about Spaghettino not eating a meal. I didn't update it because everything went well. The whole story is like it never happened and he eats normally. The reason i'm telling you this is because this might be the case. For Spaghettino was just one of those days. Maybe it's for Silvestra as well.
The other possibility that i see is that he is still horny and the fact that he ate normally last time was because you brained them and he was hungry (it happened to my ex with his royal python. It usually eats nothing when it's horny but he ate a mouse once.).
The last possible reason i see is the one you told, shedding. I know it's hard to do (i freak out more easily than you) but try. Don't worry just yet.

Hope i helped,
Electra
Kellog Posted - 08/04/2010 : 05:22:41
Now I am really confused . I thought that last week all was well again with Silvesta and he was out of horny mode as he began hiding away again and ate both medium mice, although I did warm them and brain them and put them in shoe box with him.

He put on good weight this week, so went to feed him yesterday - again warmed and brained - and he showed no interest at all?? Even when he was horny he ate one of the mice but this time he ignored it totally. He isnt 'viv cruising', so I dont think he is horny any more.

Am wondering if he is just not hungry - he is on 2 medium mice, which is what he was on when we got him, once a week....and I was planning on moving him up to 1 large mouse, which will actually weigh less than the 2 mediums. He weighs 365g. I am wondering if I should stick to the 2 medium mice until he is eating again, or change to offering him the 1 large??

It could be due to the fact he is coming up to a shed. He isnt blue yet but you can see that his scales are getting rough so he is obviously heading in that direction. He last shed on 20th January, his first with me, but have no records so dont know how long a gap there is between sheds. He has put on a good lot of weight since I got him in December, just over 100g.

Any suggestions? Please?

From A Paranoid, Neurotic Snake Mum

xxx

Kellog Posted - 27/03/2010 : 03:59:41
It is Silvesta's weight that worries me, especially as we have been fattening him up since we got him. Was thinking about this weight loss (or small weight gain) being due to him being active....but Kellog was just as active when he went through this last year and only lost 50g in the 13 weeks he went without food....but then he was over 600g so he had the weight to lose. Silvesta doesnt really. He pooed in the viv again and again it was black....but will wait and see what he does once I handle him (today).

Kellog definitely horny, tried to feed him today and totally ignored mouse. Left it in his viv and wish I had my camera handy - had put it on some kitchen roll but he pushed it off it and proceeded to bury himself under the mouse so it looked as though he was disappearing into the mouse's tummy - weird!

Does their 'horniness' length of time differ depending on their age or any other factors?

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 26/03/2010 : 17:42:21
There has to be some kinda weight range though that is good. I image they could probably go a year without feeding it's just probably not healthy especially the the ones that don't weigh that much.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 26/03/2010 : 17:26:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

I also got told today that 5ft corn snakes can live about a year without food, I hope it makes you feel better about his eating habits.

Surely that would also depend on the weight.

You could have a 5 year old 5 foot corn whihc weighs like 500 grams and a 8 year old 5 foot corn snake which weighs closer to 800 grams.

Probably does. It's just what I got told so I guessed this was based on normal/average weight and give or take a few months.

There isn't necesary a normal average weight for a 5 foot corn, just depends on age aswell. Some corns won't even reach 5 foot where as some others may come close to 6foot.
Sta~ple Posted - 26/03/2010 : 16:28:41
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

I also got told today that 5ft corn snakes can live about a year without food, I hope it makes you feel better about his eating habits.

You could have a 5 year old 5 foot corn whihc weighs like 500 grams and a 8 year old 5 foot corn snake which weighs closer to 800 grams.

Probably does. It's just what I got told so I guessed this was based on normal/average weight and give or take a few months.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 26/03/2010 : 15:02:48
quote:

Sta~ple Posted - 26/03/2010 : 14:42:26
Hehe the splodges kinda sound like the splodges lady birds make if you pick them up sometimes. I think many peoples snakes are hyper and start whizzing and bashing around the tank around this time of year. My girls does this and also has the habit of climbing on her bulb guard and dangling from the ceiling and then just falling off sometimes and repeating it again and then burrows and moves stuff around the viv.

Kellog Posted - 26/03/2010 : 05:09:27
How stupid am I !!! I didnt even think about his raised activity level and therefore burning off more nutrition . From a snake that you would only see when you got him out of his hide, he has now become a snake who is always laying about in the viv and often very active = burning up energy! *bangs head against wall in frustration at stupidity*

I will wait and see how the next few days go....handling day tomorrow and he has already done one semi normal poo - bit dark and black compared to what it normally is. But I guess it is really just a case of watch this space. It does make me pleased that I do keep my 'poo diary ', with notes when things arent as they seem.

I guess I am overly worried as when Kellog did his fast and didnt eat for 13 weeks he was already over 600g, whereas Silvesta is only just over 300g....so he does not have that much lee-way in the sense of weight to lose....especially as he has filled out so nicely since we got him and he was so skinny.

The caramel splodges are literally as they sound Staple. The problem is that he does them in his viv so it is hard to get a pic of them as they are invariably surrounded by substrate....but if there is a clear view of one or he does one when he is being handled I will get a pic - just for research sake of course !

Thank you for putting my mind at rest and sorry for being so overly dramatic about something that now seems so simple . I will keep you up-to-date though, it that is ok?

I just hope he does keep on eating .

xxx

(Kellog has just shed and immediately started showing horny behaviour, feed day today and nearly 3 weeks since his last feed, cos of shed, so fingers crossed....but then HE could do with losing some weight!)

Sta~ple Posted - 25/03/2010 : 22:28:25
All my snakes are hyper active but I'm sure they are too young to be horny and the older ones don't seem to be horny, just hyper every now and then.

Is there any way you could take a picture of the caramel splodge as I am interested to see what it looks like. It's probably how it sounds but XD
ari Posted - 25/03/2010 : 21:44:05
think its that time of year for snakes to be honest. mines ultra active. hell never refuse his food though. but some snakes have different preferences.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/03/2010 : 16:51:53
Sounds like he has the horn to me. I wouldn't worry too much, atleast he is still eating even if he isn't gaining the weight he usually does he isn't losing any either.
crazy JJ Posted - 25/03/2010 : 16:42:09
im thinking he is getting horny cos max is doing the same except he isnt eating... nothing unusual 4 him cos i looked at his record 4 last year and he stopped eating about this time last year...

but as hannah said at least he is eating something... so its prob nothing to worry about hun :) well at least hope not :)
HannahB Posted - 25/03/2010 : 11:44:43
with regards to the weight gain i guess its possible that because hes been much more active than usual he has burnt off a lot more calories than he normally would?
hes probably just horny.. but at least hes still eating something
Mouse Posted - 25/03/2010 : 11:16:56
Gobo is doing the same thing. I was gonna post on here about it too. Any clues anyone?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000