The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Fatty snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Azzheasman Posted - 25/02/2010 : 22:01:26
Hey guys after getting my boy sexed a month or so ago he has been on a diet he wasn't fed for a few weeks, he was previously on 2x xl mice every 10-14 days anyways the diet is going well he's losing weight fine but he's just gone into shed recently he went fully blue went into a moist hide fir a few days and came out normal I went in the hide and no shed ? His scales look like they have the dead skin still on there but he's back to his normal colouring ? Is this normal if they lose weight he also appears to have lumpy bits around his back end I tried to take pics but they didn't really show up? Any ideas he's normally the greedy one and he just won't eat and I'm getting a bit worried wouldn't even take a pinkie earlier :-/

Also on a separate note I burned my hand on his heat light last night and I was sat with him out the viv earlier and bulb exploded and shot a fire ball across the viv the bulb split right in half so no little bits luckily I've cleaned it all out hoovered it and put all new substrate in just in case of little bits , you ever heard of anything like this ?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Azzheasman Posted - 27/02/2010 : 08:15:29
He shed this morning it was in a couple of bits around the viv tho it was the smallest bit of the tail that wasnt there and that could have broken off after the shed as it wasnt far from the rest and there was a piece of bark between the bits, now time for some hardcore exercise :D
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 23:53:19
HA lol in true austin style he just curled up and looked p*ssed at me for taking him out of the tank he did make a runner for the bottom of the stairs 10 mins of gentle prodding lol spose thats something :D
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 20:00:06
Stairs are a great exercise tool and also any sort of obstacle courses using boxes, stools, any household objects....anything that will make him climb around and use energy. Letting him move around a lot 'free' on the ground when you handle him will help as well, allowing him to cover as much ground as possible. Just try and think of anything that can be used as a fitness regime!!

xxx
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 16:39:40
That's a brilliant idea will have to wait for my girlfriend to leave the house as she is terrified of them but sounds like a great idea ATM i
just letting him climb all over me for 10 mins a day but tonight he's going on the stairs :p thanks !
HannahB Posted - 26/02/2010 : 16:24:58
get him on the stairs!!

it sounds silly but if you put him at the bottom of the stairs and encourage him to go up them then it will get him a bit of exercise and will help him shed those pounds, dont make him go right to the top straight away..will take him a few attempts just to get the general idea of what hes supposed to do but once he gets the jist of it then you can slowly increase the time length so he can get better
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 13:52:31
yea lol hes a fatty hence the diet spose maybe 100g of that could be the bag he was in but even still lol hefty snake, hence the diet lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/02/2010 : 13:40:22
Wow that is HEAVY!

Casper is around 5 1/2 feet, and weighs no more than 750g....
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 13:31:17
okay austin has been weighed and he is 1152g and about 5 and a half feet long, i have no idea how old he is sorry he was a rescue so just guessing at around 5-6 years old
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 11:01:46
This is ollie one of my house mates corns hes only little and made a bid for freedom when jordan was cleaning out the viv he came rushing downstairs as ollie is a bugger for escaping to help him find him (i have a knack for finding them) anyways this is where we found him, yes thats a roofing beam lol
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 11:01:23
quote:
Originally posted by Azzheasman

Not actually sure of his weight that's my project for the day.........he is now on 1 xl mouse every 10 days

My Kellog is nearly 800g, 4'6" long, nearly 5 years old and I have just changed him from 1 x-large mouse every 10 days to his maintenance diet for life now, 1 x-large mouse every fortnight. I will keep weighing him, obviously....but he is definitely not fat and is very healthy on the diet he has been on.

xxx
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 10:16:32
Not actually sure of his weight that's my project for the day, not starving him lol imtoo soft for that even tho the bword in my local rep shop said not to feed him for at least 4 months after being very rude about the snake and parading him round the store to other customers to show how snakes
shouldn't look (I got Austin and he was hgebi just followed the instructions I was given) anyways I halved what he was on so he is now on 1 xl mouse every 10 days ( I'm in bed posting on my iPhone ATM but when I go to my pc I'll post some pics of our baby amels most amazing escape ever)
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 08:11:19
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Don't starve him to normal weight, keep feeding him, just not as much.

What is it he is feeding on now Aaron and how often? What is his weight?

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 26/02/2010 : 07:14:40
You will prob find as he starts to lose weight his hips will show a bit, right at the top of his tail either side of the vent area, that's normal for a fat snake, they will go gradually.
Don't starve him to normal weight, keep feeding him, just not as much.
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 04:11:24
I am so glad you now have a bulb guard. I know you said that it was really high in viv and snakes couldnt get anywhere near it....but just checkout these pics of Kellog and you will see that corns can get anywhere!!

(sorry to show these pics again but think it is important to demonstrate just how agile these snakes are!!)

Think your question regarding his shedding has been answered, them going clear after being blue throws a lot of newbies as they look as though they have shed when they actually have a few days left to go. Their eyesight will still be partially compromised, so treat him as though he were still blue and hopefully in a few days time you will get to see him shed - if you are very, very lucky!

xxx
Azzheasman Posted - 26/02/2010 : 00:24:59
Cheers guys :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/02/2010 : 23:34:45
Like Hyper said, after their eyes clear then its a couple of days before they shed, so just keep your eyes peeled, it shouldn't be too long now.
hiper2009 Posted - 25/02/2010 : 23:16:47
Never doubt a snake that can't reach you may think they can't but they can , They are expert climber's.

Also with the shedd issue after they come out of blue and eyes cleared up then they usually shedd the couple of days after.
Azzheasman Posted - 25/02/2010 : 22:37:01
There's a guard on it now lol it was up really high in the viv and the snakes couldn't get anywhere near it but yea scared the life out of me when it went lol
kdlang Posted - 25/02/2010 : 22:22:15
Do you have a thermostat and guard on ur heatlight? You must have jumped a mile wen that bulb exploded. I'm so glad I just use a heatmat. That would really give me the willies

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000