The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Incomplete Shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RichyP1987 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 16:32:19
I've just noticed today that my little baby has started to shed. It looks like she has rubbed against a rock or branch and sloughed most of the top of the old skin rather than the usual inside out in one piece trick. How long should I wait before I get worried and do something about it?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 16/02/2010 : 18:10:30
Glad it all worked out ok, my lil Riz never shed well, not to sure why tho, every shed I have to bath her and pass her thru a towel, luckily its only her tail that is any bother, sadly i think that the tip of her tail has been irrevocably damagd because of this(it is only about one scale tho). Hope the next shed goes better for both of you.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 19:18:29
Glad the soaking worked for you.
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 18:33:04
Nice one mate, thats the best method you used there, always a good one to remember.
RichyP1987 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 18:10:17
It worked! I gave her a little soak, let her pass through a wet towel and it all came off, tail and all. Panic over, until next time...
RichyP1987 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 17:45:48
I've just put her in a RUB with some warm water, just enough to go halfway up her body. Already the old skin seems to be loosening up. Hopefully it'll all come off!
RichyP1987 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 17:38:10
Thanks for the response. I know I need to be careful, I do not want to tear off any scales or skin by mistake.

her head seemd to be clear and I think the caps have come off her eyes. There is a line about half way down her back where the old skin has come off, the rest is still there. At the moment she is going round the viv rubbing against things so she is trying to get it off.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2010 : 17:27:09
I stress that I am NOT a snake expert but Ive had problems with my little girl shedding and can only stress PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN TRYING TO SORT THIS OUT- please have a quick look at the below thread- as it is Slinx last shed- Her tail is still healing and I know that she has lost the Very tip of her tail

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8053

Basically- the advice I was given in the above thread was to let your snake SOAK your snake:

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

In future, I would recommend to ANYONE that you soak the tail (or whatever part having retained shed) to thoroughly soften the skin before attempting to remove it. This is as simple as getting some warm saturated kitchen roll or a towel and holding it gently round the affected part. Alternatively soak the snake for 10-15 minutes in warm water, in a bath or RUB.

HOW much of the old skin is she still wearing? And where is it?

Really- the sooner that you can get the rest of the skin off the better if it is the end of her tail then you have to remember that this will constrict her tail and cause problems with the blood flow and this could ultimately end up with your snake loosing the end of her tail

You can make a Damp hide:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

If you hit the SEARCH button (Top right of the screne) and type id Shed or Shedding you will get LOADS on info!!

Good Luck!
Im sure ALL will be fine!
And its easy for me to say... but Dont Panic!!!

xXx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000