The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Little help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 08:51:32
Steve hasn't been feeding but has been very Active the past 3 weeks, i was worries until I seen that a lot of snakes are doing that right now but last night I noticed something, down one side on steves body his scales are very rough and hard to the touch. Looks almost like a skin condition. I've noticed little White cracks down his scales on that sore side also. Also k can hear him breathing now rather loudly. When he exhales, kinda like a sneeze. Really need some help, thank you x
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 06:29:06
No problem mate. Just keep an eye on the breathing.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2010 : 02:03:58
THank you so much for all your advice, took a load of my mind. If I ever meet u I'll buy u a pint lol. Thanks again, Ross x x
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:50:34
That's ok. As he is adult its entirely possible that he is self brumating, hibernating, but as its warm he is still active. I wouldn't be too concerned about the not eating just yet, they are capable of fasting for quite long periods, but the wheezing needs to be closely monitored, if it doesn't change then take him to a vet, you will probably get a water additive, which I can't remember now, or the injection used is tylan 200, which is good stuff.
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:18:33
He shed just before he started getting active and stopped eating. It was pretty much a full shed cause I measured the length of it (5ft 2") also all he does now is lie around in his viv, not inside his hides and normally down the warm end too. Thanks for all ure help had a shock when I seen him
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:09:01
Ok, temps a little high for normal, you want to be around 81 82, 27 28c, the cold end is ok though. Is the snake situated in a place where it might get caught in a draft? I would keep an eye on it for now, if it doesn't pass soon, ie a couple of days then a trip to the vet maybe in order. When did he shed last? And was it a full shed or a little bitty? A little soak might help release any stuck skin, only a short while though, about ten mins should it, then try and peel off any skin. Stuck shed does irritate them and can cause feeding issues.
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 13:41:32
Ok the heating set up is75-77F down the cold end and 86-88F down the warm end
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 12:18:11
That's cool, but what are the temps? Pet shops are not always well versed on what's actually right for the snake.
An ri wouldn't be caused by being too hot, either too cold or carried by another snake, its highly contaigous.
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 12:11:36
The snake is an adult and the temps were set by the store I bought him from and haven't been changed. Could it be due to the central heating within the house? Just making it that little bit warmer?
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 11:06:47
The breathing thing could possibly be an RI, what are your temps?
The rough scales could be a partly retained shed, its not uncommon for a small strip of scales to remain after shed, and it can take a while for it to appear like this.

Not feeding could be down to an RI (respiartory infection) but it could also be the time of year. How old and big is the snake?
It might help to raise the temps to about 30 -31 degrees, corns have a pretty good immune system and can fight of an ri without too many problems, although if it persists, then a course of jabs maybe needed, and that's a vet job.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000