The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Sexing Corns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikerichards Posted - 10/02/2010 : 21:58:08
There seem to be an awful lot of people who dont know what they have, male or female, and also a few Co-Habiting snakes which they dont know are male or female. To me this seems to be more irresponsible than most things i have come across.
Sexing young snakes is not particularly difficult and can be acheived by an experienced keeper, vet or good quality reptile shop.
I must add that probing snakes really shouldnt be attempted by someone who is not 100% confident of what they are looking for or doing.

I apologise if this is blunt, but if you are intending to breed then how can you be sure of whats going to happen if you dont know what sex the snakes are?
Also, if you intend to co habit, whilst not agreeable to most people, it happens, then why risk cohabiting 2 snakes that could potentially breed when you are either not wanting them to, too young, or you are not prepared to give the snake the attention she needs.
Every snake i have had, i have double checked, sometimes even triple checked, and every single one i have bought i have taken to be probed, i think its the very least of things that needs to be done when dealing with more than one animal.

Mike
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 15:07:59
No problem.
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/02/2010 : 15:06:01
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

This is true, but if someone wants to find out, there are many places to look, and not all of them are a good and right way of doing it. Also, I feel that when it comes to sexing, we are all inexperienced the first few times. On and off I have had snakes for 21 22 years, bar 6 or 7 when I was away with the raf, it was only mid last year I had a stab at it (so to speak!).
I feel it would be better to have a sort of how to, that can be vetted and modified until all are happy, so that people would have an accurate and as safe as can be guide of how to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

.......I suppose if people are insistent upon doing it then providing them with the best possible method is better than hoping they don't follow bad advice.

This has come under discussion before, and th moderator and admin team decided against having a guide, purely because so many people could try to use our guide and do some serious damage anyway.
As you said, there are plenty of guides online and nearly all warn about the dangers of doing it without an experienced person supervising and talking you through it.

I can honestly say that my belief is that if we had a guide advising on the best/correct way to do it, then someone will still do damage and try to blame us.

It's not a risk we're willing to take at this point.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 14:38:15
Good points there Mike, I suppose if people are insistent upon doing it then providing them with the best possible method is better than hoping they don't follow bad advice.
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 14:26:41
This is true, but if someone wants to find out, there are many places to look, and not all of them are a good and right way of doing it. Also, I feel that when it comes to sexing, we are all inexperienced the first few times. On and off I have had snakes for 21 22 years, bar 6 or 7 when I was away with the raf, it was only mid last year I had a stab at it (so to speak!).
I feel it would be better to have a sort of how to, that can be vetted and modified until all are happy, so that people would have an accurate and as safe as can be guide of how to do it.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 09:49:53
Only concern I would have with that (though it is a good idea!) is that no matter how much you stress that inexperienced people shouldn't try it, you will still get some that try and end up injuring their snakes.
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 08:29:15
What people need to understand also is that its not that hard to sex a corn, infact its probably one of the easiest I have done.
If you want, I can do another topic going through it with pics etc.
Babies especially are very easy, they pop no problems, unlike adults who need to be probed!
Kellog Posted - 12/02/2010 : 06:58:53
I think this is a point very well made and could probably do with being added to the co-habiting topic as a link, as that is when the problem occurs. What worries me is that those who NEED to read it WONT !

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 19:15:53
indeed it is!
eeji Posted - 11/02/2010 : 19:04:04
the reasoning i think behind this thread is an unfortunate one - its because some people need information drilling into them before they'll take a blind bit of notice.
sad but true :(
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 10:43:34
Thats why this thread is here-
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

I agree with everything you said (I also get cross when people co-habit tiny hatchies or corns of different sizes) but this thread is likely to turn into a giant argument.
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 08:54:37
The main reason I posted it is because I want people to read it, same as nearly every post I do, I want it to be noted and people to think about it.
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 08:53:01
My point is exactly what I have said, I find it almost surprising how many people don't know what they have, then co-habit. Whilst I am not totally against co-habitting, I am against co habiting snakes that are of unknown sex.
To me that is irresponsible, unwise and thoughtless.
You wouldn't put 2 rabbits together if you didn't know what sex they are, same with rats, cats, etc. So why are people doing it with snakes? Is it because they don't think they are capable at a young age? Or is I just plain not thinking.

Your reply of what's my point leads me to think you don't believe it to be an issue.
We have a duty of care to the animals, this includes being prepared for pregnancies, and babies amongst other things.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/02/2010 : 23:27:19
What is your point?

Everything that has been said is deffinitely true, no arguments about it, i just don't see why you posted it.
eeji Posted - 10/02/2010 : 22:40:59
agreed :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000