The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 injury to my corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/02/2010 : 13:13:49
my corn snake got stuck to the sticky tape that was holding on the backround in my tank. i put him in warm water with the sticky tape stuck to him . it loosened up most of the sticky tape but some of it was stuck to him badly and pult at his skin very badly when i was taking it off . it tore a small part of his skin off .is this serious? will he recover? will it be safe to leave him back in with my other corn snake? they are both around 12 weeks old

***moved from Genral to Health by GP***
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 08/02/2010 : 20:59:18
to the OP - any further news or more details of the injury so we can advise you accordingly?
Kellog Posted - 07/02/2010 : 05:49:20
I am afraid that I agree with what everyone has said about separating your corns as a matter of urgency David, and if you read the link SexyBear posted then you will see why. It is even more important now you have an injured snake and therefore a snake that is more vulnerable and needs to be in as stress-free an environment as possible.

Definitely do everything SB has recommended (her advice is perfect!). Your snake needs to be in a place where there is no chance of infection, no chance of substrate being stuck to the wound and no stress.

If it is just the scales then, as Eeji said, they should grow back but expect your snake to shed more regularly for a while as this is the way they heal themselves. If it is the skin it is a lot more serious.

Maybe you could post a pic so that the experts on here could take a look, but I think a trip to the vets is what is most important, the sooner the better.

I think you have learnt your lesson regarding the sticky tape, so no more needs to be said on that subject .

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 06/02/2010 : 20:25:12
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Nice reply Rach.

Cheers Piers.
Blackecho Posted - 06/02/2010 : 20:21:33
Nice reply Rach.
eeji Posted - 06/02/2010 : 16:24:38
if its scales that have come off with no damage to the skin underneath then its not too much to worry about - they will most likely grow back (no guarantees of course). If the skin has been torn then a vets trip would be a good idea then they can advise you on the correct course of any treatment.

Your corns need seperating immedietly - if you don't have another enclosure then you need to go out and get one while the shops are still open.
Corns are solitary animals and you have a duty of care to provide as natural an environment as is practical which means housing them seperately. Failure to do so can cause unneccessary stress which can cause all sorts of problems, and the most serious consequence (especially at that young age) is that they have 2 responses to moving things: 1- it wants to eat them or 2- its food. If one of yours thinks the latter then the other will become dinner and they will both die.

....and lose the tape too - its unfortunate that you had to find out the hard way but the best to come out of this is now you knw ;)
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/02/2010 : 15:27:23
Is it the actual skin or is it the scales?

n/a Posted - 06/02/2010 : 13:59:58
eek! I had the same problem a while ago posted on the forum so others could learn from my mistake - post bellow

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6138

Pitty you never got to see it. Hope he heals up soon.
elament Posted - 06/02/2010 : 13:52:27
Sorry for the echo but yes take him to a vet asap. Also seperate them. Your injured corn will now need an enviroment in solitary where it can recover without the stress of another snake and where you can "tailor" the enviroment aspects (such as replacing the substrate as SB has said). One of my snakes was poorly and it was in an enviroment with two others. Since I got her and she is on her own her recovery has been nothing short of incredible. Sorry to hear your snake has been injured though. Best of luck I hope it all goes well

Steve
meggi Posted - 06/02/2010 : 13:32:08
i don`t know anything about paring corns so i can`t answer that question.But id take him straight to the vets. Tape isn`t the best thing to put in a snake viv.

megx

SexyBear77 Posted - 06/02/2010 : 13:30:11
I would say if you have torn his skin off then chances are it is serious.

Remove all substrate immediately and line his accomodation with kitchen paper. Keep the area scrupulously clean, including the water bowl, to prevent infection.

I haven't seen how bad this injury is, but I would recommend a vet checkup- he may need antibiotics and will almost certainly need something antiseptic for the wound. Tamodine is good, and available quite easily.

Remove the sticky tape now, and never use it again. Obviously you have learnt your lesson, sticky tape + snakes= disaster.

Young snakes shouldnt live together anyway, cohabiting can be very risky. If possible, set up a second viv or faun so you can split your snakes up. Have a read of this-
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Pics will help if you can get them. Good luck with your snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000