The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Elijah's 2nd Shed - Concerned or Not Concerned?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 02/02/2010 : 01:02:27
Ok this is really weird. Has anyone had a Corn that hasn't gone BLUE or DULL COLOUR before a shed? So far thi is Elijah's 2nd shed in my care. If you remmember my last post on his shed he had gone blue and I couldn't find the tail tip. As shown in the image below I have both pieces, the eye caps are in place, and I found the tail part.
I have 2 concerns really, 1)not going blue or colour dulling and 2)the fact that the shed is in 2 pieces. As he never went blue this didn't give me a chance to put his moss hide in place.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:16:28
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

I haven't had a problem shed yet but if there was some retained shed on one of my snakes, would it be obvious? Does it look different or feel different?

yes it's usually obvious, although the tail tip needs more careful examination and the eyecaps should show up on the shed skin itself
eeji Posted - 04/02/2010 : 19:52:55
i wouldn't worry about using a damp hide, looking at that pic it doesn't look like Elijah needs it ;)
zandefloss Posted - 04/02/2010 : 18:10:56
Spaghetti usually sheds in 2 pieces, always rips of the top of her head first then takes the rest off slowly! She also hides alot when in blue, which makes it more difficult to notice if I'm busy! I think the best way to check for retained shed is by looking at the skin that comes off and seeing if it's all there, which wouldn't be possible if it was in a lot of bits. My friends snake is a difficult shedder but it was easy to see because he had patches of dry skin, which was paler and flaky, like our own dry skin! Not sure about the eyecaps and tail tip though as I have never seen them retained.

zan x
Sammysnake Posted - 04/02/2010 : 08:23:53
I haven't had a problem shed yet but if there was some retained shed on one of my snakes, would it be obvious? Does it look different or feel different?
LittleMick Posted - 04/02/2010 : 00:55:31
Thanks for the reasurance. I had a feeling he is ok, just wanted to make sure. From his records it looks like every 3ish months. So I will keep an eye open near end of march beginning of April.

Thanks
gingerpony Posted - 02/02/2010 : 21:29:15
i don't use a damp hide with any of my corns except my OAP who i know has problems, so usually it really isn't necessary.

some morphs it's a lot more difficult to tell when they're in blue, it's also knowledge that a keeper acquired with time and experience
Kellog Posted - 02/02/2010 : 11:03:15
I must admit I never use a moss hide with mine. Only had one shed with Silvesta, but Kellog's sheds have been fine - all clean sheds and only a couple that werent in one piece. Its why all I do is mist the viv once they turn blue (which I luckily can see quite easily) and that seems to be all they need.

Going by Elijah's 1st shed he did well, so it doesnt look as though you should have any problems with him. Once he has had a few sheds with you, you can begin to get a rough idea of how often he will shed and be more prepared when the time comes around again.

xxx
HannahB Posted - 02/02/2010 : 06:35:25
you dont always notice it, i missed Liberty going pale (shes pale anyway and has greyish eyes so noticing them cloud over was impossible) and she then shed, and iv missed edison going blue a few times
shedding in two pieces is fine - if it was in a thousand bits and pieces then it would remind me to put in a moss hide next time but as the major bits (tail and eyecaps) are there its not a massive issue that you forgot the hide.. in the wild they wouldnt always shed in one piece remember

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000