The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 URGENT HELP PLEASE- shed/tail

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 17:02:48
Hey Guys

Please look at the pic below-

Slinky shed yesterday and today all fine- all in one go except the last 1mm of her tail- so today before feeding we let her run through a wet flannel- and the last mm of shed came off with what looks like the scales- Not the actual tip of her tail- as you can see from the pic there is blood/red raw- (there is not a constant flow of blood.)

I have decided not to feed her in case she needs further handling/treatment...

Is there anything I need to do/can do? I am not going to stick her back in here VIV as she is on Aspen and I do not want it to stick to her.

Also need to add that her last shed was on 22nd December- so approx 4 weeks ago and although that shed didn't come off in one piece we did get the last bits of the tail shed off then by using the same method- there was no blackness on the end/tip of her tail either

Any advice Please???

Please?!

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:11:52
General Sales List and Prescription Only Medication - it's how veterinary drugs are classified hun
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/01/2010 : 22:13:33
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

its on GSL not POM though not all rep shops will stock it......

Sorry to threadjack, but what's GSL and POM?
gingerpony Posted - 27/01/2010 : 21:57:05
its on GSL not POM though not all rep shops will stock it, Vetadine is an alternative reptile-safe product
and apply once or twice daily while the wound is still fresh or sore, then once daily or every other day for a further week to create a damp environment to encourage more rapid healing

keep the viv scrupulously clean and use, preferably, kitchen roll/towel although newspaper is a good alternative and i [i/doubt[/i] the printing ink will be a problem hun

if you're stuck or want to ask anything feel free to email me, i've not been on the forums for a few days as i've been very busy but i do check my email daily
matty18714 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 17:18:51
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Thanks Matty- can I get it from the chemist or is it POM?
xXx

Some Rep shops sell it but I got it from the counter at the vets.
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 17:10:39
Whoa!! Calm down, don't panic, it wont be as bad as it seems.

Follow what Matty says.

Also, empty the viv of the substrate and line it with kitchen roll instead. Nothing will be able to stick to it and you will be able to see spots of blood etc.

In future, I would recommend to ANYONE that you soak the tail (or whatever part having retained shed) to thoroughly soften the skin before attempting to remove it. This is as simple as getting some warm saturated kitchen roll or a towel and holding it gently round the affected part. Alternatively soak the snake for 10-15 minutes in warm water, in a bath or RUB.
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 17:07:53
Thanks Matty- can I get it from the chemist or is it POM?
xXx
matty18714 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 17:04:50
If it was me I would clean it with tamodine once or twice a day.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000